BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinFever View Post
It kinda makes me chuckle when I hear about San Antonians preparing for winter.
I live much farther North -- near Foat Wuth. We get occasional ice storms but typically, within a day or two things warm up, the ice melts and it's all good again. People passing through after the thaw probably scratch their heads wondering how we could manage to pile up so many crashed cars and destroy so much guard rail!

RE: Clothing inventory -- From what I'm hearing, we're nearing the end of the global warming hype and will soon be hearing all about the coming ice age. Those climate scientists are kind of like roosters who think their crowing brings up the sun.

Bottom line: We'll be dressing warmer in the not too distant future.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:53 PM

Weather seems to run in cycles. Last winter was cold and winter before mild. Open winter. You never know.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
I live much farther North -- near Foat Wuth. We get occasional ice storms but typically, within a day or two things warm up, the ice melts and it's all good again. People passing through after the thaw probably scratch their heads wondering how we could manage to pile up so many crashed cars and destroy so much guard rail!

RE: Clothing inventory -- From what I'm hearing, we're nearing the end of the global warming hype and will soon be hearing all about the coming ice age. Those climate scientists are kind of like roosters who think their crowing brings up the sun.

Bottom line: We'll be dressing warmer in the not too distant future.
So true--black gumbo mud is our specialty huh? :
Old 09-16-2013, 10:10 PM

Well I've spent about 3 hours today trying to clear out the small bedroom that I've been using for storage. So far I've got 3 large black trash bags full of clothes, mainly what the granddaughters left when they moved out last year, and some of my stuff I'd forgotten about. I also found a heavy black trash bag full of winter things that someone undoubtedly gave me as it has some men's shirts in it. Of course now that I've got all that needing to be washed, since it's been sitting around for over a year, we're finally getting some rain. Oh well, I'll survive. I do know that I probably won't need to buy anything for the winter except some long john bottoms as I'll be staying inside where I tend to wear pajama pants and a tee shirt and I've got plenty of the latter, at least a dozen the last time I counted.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:14 AM

We got some rain today around noon.

When I get my stuff moved here I should have more slacks which I hope will fit. May be a few jeans. I used clothes to pack with. And bunch of tee shirts. May have to wash some of it. Some of the stuff was dusty from setting.

Emailed son if he needed rags. I did 7 bags this spring some time. Must of been 6 or 7 months ago. I do him 6 twice a year it seems. I buy and then pick out anything good. Cut rest in to mechanic rags for him. He seems to use a lot. Uses and throws. He was buying by the box.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:17 AM
Master Pontificator

Our weather is giving me whiplash. Highs in the 50's one day and then 90 the next. So I have sweats and shorts both out.

I have tons of office clothes which I no longer need. However, I am thinking to keep them and just wear them for everyday at home. If they get ruined, they get ruined. Although they are nice most came from thrift shops so not a lot of $'s invested.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:49 PM

When I went to do my volunteer work today one of the other ladies had brought some clothes and things in. She gave me two purses, one's a nice soft leather, I think, one and the other is a black Coach handbag. I'm giving the Coach one to my daughter as it's larger than the one she has now and I think it will be better for her as it should hold a couple of diapers and a package of wipes plus all her other stuff.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:42 PM

Anna,
I know what you mean. My "office" clothes were not suitable for the market gardening. Any too small I tossed out as I did think I would ever be slimmer again. I got through the closet was all. Had not gotten through slacks and jeans that were too small.. Now have a big box of jeans and slacks that are too big. Now I have moved to this small town and ride the senior bus . I can wear the slacks when I go to the city on the bus instead of jeans. I wore slacks for work, blouses and sweaters. My life is totally changed here. I bought from thrifts and saved all I could for retirement.

I am trying to pair up what I have as I sure do not plan to buy anything. Iam not a church goer and nothing they dress up here for it seems. Clothes depends where you live and what you do. Jeans run higher in the thrift shops than slacks.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Master Pontificator

If I were going to cut back to only necessary clothing, I could eliminate 95% of what I have. However, since I have the clothing, have paid for it, I'm going to keep everything I can wear. I consider it a prep to have an excess of clothing. Sometimes I wonder if I'm being selfish not to donate more, but I figure charity begins at home.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:29 PM

Anna,
I agree you are right. Like the large slacks and jeans that use to fit me. Are in a box and will be saved. I could gain in size as I get older. I walk the mile now but how long I can keep it up. My Dr makes me keep my wt down.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna View Post
Our weather is giving me whiplash. Highs in the 50's one day and then 90 the next. So I have sweats and shorts both out.

I have tons of office clothes which I no longer need. However, I am thinking to keep them and just wear them for everyday at home. If they get ruined, they get ruined. Although they are nice most came from thrift shops so not a lot of $'s invested.
Tis what makes living in the Midwest so much fun - I'm not sure if spring or fall is the bigger challenge.

Cull some of the office clothes, you won't miss them. Shirts rank high on the "keep" list, skirts/suits do not. Unless they are classic, well made then either keep or possibly sell at a consignment shop?
Old 09-20-2013, 05:56 AM

Talking about work clothes----working I got down to size 6--but since I have retired I am back up to 8&10's. Gained some of my weight back--which for me is a good thing.
I hate tight shirts--jeans not to tight--and I am really out of jeans.

The ones at the thrift store here are a bit worn out for the price their asking.
Will wait till I get a bill paid off then will get some new ones.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:32 PM

Speaking of blue jeans (and clothing in general), I've been cleaning and organizing. I have "made in USA" jeans from the early 80s which I still wear. And I have a jacket and sweatshirt that are USA made, both still wearable. The quality of the material, "hardware", AND craftsmanship are head and shoulders above any new articles of clothing. My Doc Marten shoes (outlet store purchase) are still going strong - they were made in England. Last I looked, even Doc Marten's are made in China <bleh>.

The made in USA garments don't show near the wear as some of the newer garments.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:42 PM

I was also give a nightgown/robe set that I liked, just tried on the gown and it fits except for the armholes up at the shoulder, they're too tight, and it's a little tight across the shoulders, I'm built more like a man than a woman so I'll be taking this set back next Thursday and putting it out to be given to someone who can wear it. I've now got at least two pair of, new to me, dress slacks and long sleeve blouses to wear to church, not fancy but nicer than the Capri's and blouses I've been wearing. Since the low Sunday morning is to be 61o I'll probably try out a pair of slacks and blouse to see how I like wearing them. I've never enjoyed having to dress up and do it only when necessary but I don't think it will hurt me to dress a little nicer for church.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:15 PM

Randall, cooler weather in the Atlantic is keeping hurricanes away this year. I'm going to guess - haven't lived here long enough to know for sure - that this means we'll have a rough nor'easter season. Almanac is calling for wetter & cooler here this winter. Cooler is already in progress. It warms up to about 80 for a couple hours after lunch.

Like you, I think we're going to need to stash back the long underwear and wool socks! Long term. It didn't really warm up this year until June, here. Pool was chilly! We've been in the water in April & October, before... but I looked yesterday and the water in full sun, was only 78. We'll pull the cover over it 10/1. Keeps the pine needles &leaves out. Suits me fine, since I can warm up the house cheaper than I can keep it cool.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:26 AM
Master Pontificator

My office clothes are dress slacks and nice tops. No jackets only sweaters. I have a pinched nerve in my right elbow and cannot wear a tight weave fabric that pulls over it. I buy my coats a size too large to allow room for a bulky sweater without pulling the sleeve tight. I have slacks in sizes 12 and 14.

Over the last couple of years I've stocked up on jeans from my favorite thrift shop so have 8 pairs plus I purchased one new pair at a department store 50% off. I've also stocked up on sweat pants for both dh and myself as that is what we wear around the house in the winter with or without long johns. I have a good supply of sweat shirts which I live in over the winter with a turtle neck under. I have a couple sweat shirts and jeans that are kept strickly for good and the rest are stained from daily use.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:36 AM

Thinking about long johns - again -

there are some new fabrics out there; synthetics which are very thin - yet they breathe, stretch and are very comfortable to wear. You can still find the old-fashioned wool/cotton duo folds (hubs' favs) which are non-itchy and warm. Silk, too - look in the ski wear or hunting. OH... almost forgot the all cotton thermals...

I was wondering which kind, do you all like?
-------

I'm a natural fiber girl... so I've always stuck with all cotton or wool. Now, cotton's gotten so expensive (there is some crazy stuff going on in the cotton commodity markets)... and wool seems less popular these days - I guess it's labor intensive and so more expensive??

I'm just wondering: both cotton (and linen) and wool are the kinds of fabric that the pioneers were able to make on their own... wondering if anyone has explored this possibility - for a long-term SHTF situation?
Old 09-21-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehairedidiot View Post
Thinking about long johns - again -

there are some new fabrics out there; synthetics which are very thin - yet they breathe, stretch and are very comfortable to wear. You can still find the old-fashioned wool/cotton duo folds (hubs' favs) which are non-itchy and warm. Silk, too - look in the ski wear or hunting. OH... almost forgot the all cotton thermals...

I was wondering which kind, do you all like?
-------

I'm a natural fiber girl... so I've always stuck with all cotton or wool. Now, cotton's gotten so expensive (there is some crazy stuff going on in the cotton commodity markets)... and wool seems less popular these days - I guess it's labor intensive and so more expensive??

I'm just wondering: both cotton (and linen) and wool are the kinds of fabric that the pioneers were able to make on their own... wondering if anyone has explored this possibility - for a long-term SHTF situation?
I love cotton---linen and wool.
Have two wool dress jackets I love. Had them for years.(2 red and 1 black)
Wear them over jeans or a dress.

Synthetics are just too hot here.
And they seem to reguire more care.

I love a nice wool sock--hard to find except in higher end stores.
Pricey too--but they seem to breath better.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Master Pontificator

For cold climates cotton is not recommended. When damp or wet it does not insulate and you will freeze. Wool is a good choice, but I cannot wear it next to my skin unless I want hives. I've not tried the silk or read much about it. I am very interested in the new products that are reported to wick perspiration away from the skin without losing any insulation value.

For shoveling snow I like lined wool slacks with regular cotton long johns. If I get sweaty then I do not want the long johns. Perhaps I can find the money in my budget and try a pair of the new man made fabric long johns. Of course, at 70 I probably shouldn't be shoveling snow anyway.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:30 PM

I like wool but had too much bug problem.

I bought 6 trash bags of rags Friday. I buy to cut mechanic rags. I pick out the good stuff. My son uses a lot of rags. Why I buy and cut up for him. I am doing a fast sort to get out good stuff if any. Not much and have 3 bags to go. One bag will not cut good rags as baby stuff most part. No choice in bags. Then I can set the bags out of the way till I cut. I will no doubt end up with any extra load of wash.