BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

My brother loved wool but I can't wear it, it makes me itch so much that I can scratch the blood out at times.
Not sure what my long johns are made from, cotton I think, but I found them at a Goodwill a few years back with the tag still on them so I grabbed them quick. The cashier wasn't sure what the price should be so she only charged me 99 cents, I was a happy shopper believe me. I still want to see about getting a few more pair of sweats, both pants and tops, in case we actually have the cold winter that everyone seems to think we're going to get. I've got plenty of socks as well as a pair of stretch ones that I got at the hospital when I had my colonoscopy done a couple of months back so I'm covered that way. Also just got an almost new pair of Champion athletic shoes in my size, they're not wide but they'll do if I have to go out when it's wet and cold. The two blouses I was given last week don't fit me so I'll probably pass them on to my oldest granddaughters. One they can wear to school this winter, it's long sleeved and has a collar which is required, the other doesn't have a collar so it will have to be worn when they go out somewhere after school. I've got one very large plastic storage tote with my clean clothes in it and just realized that it's actually two storage totes, one inside the other so I'll have to unload it and see if I can pull the two apart as I can really use that second one. I've got a couple of others that I think have toys in them that I want to empty out so I've got room to put more clothes in them as I wash them. Eventually I'll get everything sorted as to keep, donate, or trash and a lot of it will go outside in the storage shed to make more room inside.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:51 PM

Made a quick run to Walmart this morning to pick up the milk I forgot yesterday so I went to the men's department to check on the sweat pants. Fruit of the Loom men's deep pocket sweat pants are now $6.94, up about $1 from last year but still at a decent price. I want to pick up at least two pair in black and maybe a couple in the charcoal grey though I may just get all black to simplify things. Didn't check into the shirts but they're usually the same price. I did check the waist bands and although they have a drawstring they've also got the heavy elastic in it which I prefer. I'll be donating the two pair I got that are too big for me to my SIL for the winter, one pair I've never even worn.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:24 PM

Cuddl Duds are what my manager used to wear on cold days. She always went for a walk (morn/afternoon break as well as lunch). She swore by them. Not sure which "flavor" she bought but they fit under her jeans/business casual pants. Kohls sells them, not sure where else.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:06 PM

Cuddl duds is new one to me. Got a pair of Wet Seal I think are leggins and pair Jones wear. If they fit would do for long johns. both dark color. Couple tank tops I think will fit and one gray sweat shirt for a PJ top. Have a pair of gray pants. Not much I saved out as too small or too big and when I wash the batch will see if any of it fits me okay.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:21 PM

I've never heard of Cuddl Duds but if they're sold at Khol's they probably cost more than I'm willing to pay. I will check for them online though to see what they're made of and what the cost is.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYellowRose View Post
I've never heard of Cuddl Duds but if they're sold at Khol's they probably cost more than I'm willing to pay. I will check for them online though to see what they're made of and what the cost is.
I had never heard of them either. But then again, I find clothes shopping to be a major pain in the butt.

I have no idea of the cost. She liked them as whatever option she purchased (and knowing her they probably were on sale) would comfortably fit under her work clothes. I also know she wore them at least four years so I suspect they hold up well.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Master Pontificator

If you're buying sweats for around home, get gray not black. I've noticed dh's black sweats seem to get faded looking after a few washes while the gray continues to look good colorwise until worn out.

I usually buy sweats from Sears in the Spring when they mark them down 60%. I almost never find decent sweats at thrift shops. I really love the softness inside new sweats.

I have a lot of sweaters that I wear with a T-neck underneath for the office. I'm thinking I will use those for around home this winter. Although I prefer sweatshirts, I'll go with what I have. I don't have too many sweatshirts without stains.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:57 PM

Anna after checking the price of sweats at Goodwill today I decided to just get new ones from Walmart since they're only $6.94 each and I think Goodwill wants something like $4.99 for them. With such a small price difference I can justify getting them new and since we don't have a lot of really cold weather here they will last me several years unless I gain a whole lot of weight where they won't fit anymore. I've got two pair of pajama pants that I wear around the house if I need something warm, if it's cold enough inside for me to need sweats I'll stay in my bedroom which will be heated.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Master Pontificator

I really scored today at the thrift shop -- two brand new Eddie Bauer sweatshits for $3 each. I was really looking for a lightweight jacket but put it back and bought the sweatshirts instead.

Then I went to Sears to look for a birthday present for my mom. I got two knit tops (with collar & button placket at the neckline - the only kind she wears) and a pair of p.j.'s for her and knit top for me. Total was $14.43 to which I applied a rewards credit of $7.38 so another SCORE. My total was less than what any one of the items were originally priced. Love Sears end of season sales!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:02 PM

Goodwill in the city seems to be high too. Why I shop the thrift shop as much cheaper.

I was thinking I have some flannel night gowns, I could wear with sweat pants. Could shorten them if I wanted. But my pretty summer night gowns I will not be able to wear. (Thrift shop ones. ) It seems I have to have long sleeves, cold arms and legs. (Medicine caused. Instuctions say dress warmly.) Flannel would be cooler to wear in summer then sweats. I am not planning to do any clothes buying.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:09 PM

Anna,
You sure did great.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:30 PM

Anna I wish I could score a bargain like that. I can't complain though as a lady I ride the bus with occasionally gave me two boxes of clothes for the granddaughter late last month and then on Sunday afternoon she gave me a box of ladies clothes and a suede jacket. I passed the jacket along to a young teen girl here in the trailer park because she had nothing for winter and I know my daughter wouldn't want something that can't be washed, it's a hazard of having small children as she does. I found a few things in the box I can wear, a few things I think my daughter can wear, and a few more that I gave to the mother of the girl that got the jacket. The lady who gave me the clothes said she's trying to talk some of her co-workers into giving her their unwanted items so I can either keep them, give them away, or donate them to the program where I volunteer.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:35 PM

I am still at zero for buying any clothes this year. I found 3 pair of slacks down home and packed them. Never wore them I guess too small. One a brand new pair with paper still on them. Brown and two tans I think it was. Tan new and size 10 but old size ten. All three too long for me so know I never wore and need to be shortened. All from thrift shop. I tossed in a box to bring up there. Iam not short clothes as I wear smaller ones than did. I wear jeans for everyday. I started carrying a paper measure with me to quit buying stuff that did not fit. Sizes were not all the same that was for sure.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:52 PM

Colorado I don't buy clothes without trying them on, only exception is undies and socks. I notice the other day that I'm having trouble taking crew socks off so I'm going to buy then next lower length that come up to just over the ankle as I think they'll be easier to get on and off. I've learned that the one brand of jeans I can wear and actually find comfortable are those by Gloria Vanderbilt, I've been lucky enough to pick them up at Goodwill and thrift store occasionally and just recently was given a pair by the same lady that gave me the Dearfoam slippers that I dearly love. I can pick up a pair of these in a size 14 and almost guarantee that they fit me perfectly, including the length, but I still try them on. I'm glad I've gotten in that habit as many times I don't notice a missing button or a broken zipper until I go to try something on. I'll take something with a missing button but I'm not about to try replacing a broken zipper, especially in a pair of ready made jeans.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
I started carrying a paper measure with me to quit buying stuff that did not fit. Sizes were not all the same that was for sure.
Good idea, Colorado! I thought I had scored on some jeans last month at a new thrift store that we went to. I was going to try them on before we checked out but they only had one dressing room and I think the lady fell asleep in there!!!
Going there again on Monday and taking SIL with us. They had a lot of good stuff in there and didn't have a chance to check it all out.

Last edited by mountainmama; 10-25-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:30 PM

MM, Hope you find a lot of good things at the thrif shop. When the thrift shop had a sale I would stock on clothes and such.

Long as jeans are regular to the waist kind. I do not wear any that do not. I donot have time and energy to try every thing if I have to go to dressing room. I try on jackets and such. Use to be I could grab a size 10 and it fit great. Not any more. Pants that seem to fit now are size 8 and I have jeans marked 12 that fit fine yet. They changed sizes there some where or brands. High priced stuff is larger for the size maybe. I measure the pants/jeans waist and make sure not low cut and hold up if long enough okay if too long and mos are I get and shorten. I wash stuff and try on. Several jackets I bought have skirts which I will not wear. I can wear with pants. Why I bought.

I do not like tube socks a all. I grabbed 6 pair one day and bought and found tube socks. I gave to my son. I wore some in the irrigation boots and that worked okay. But donot want with shoes. I get regular socks. I like the cushion soled socks now. I do have thinner socks to go in my boots but have not been wearing boots. I may start again as long as no swelling in my feet. I like boots and wore them for years. Then started irrigating wanted just slip on shoes. So now no irrigation here as in small town. But I ride the bus 4 or 5 times a week. Ladies on the bus do no not wear jeans like I do. I need to dress more up I guess for going to city but not to the rec center. With the wt lost and am smaller I can wear clothes I was too big for. I have plenty of clothes. As I finally get unpacked I should have more than enough clothes for years. I think! I know I tossed in smaller pants for packing things. And some tee shirts. I feel my wt is now stale and I am thin as I will get. Medically Dr says I must keep wt down to to wt I am now. But I feel I could gain in size if I have to stop walking as I get older. At 82 I am still at it. I put the big jeans and pants in a box in case. Very hard to get to a thrift shop here. One in Vernal is high and one the other way we get to some. Only one wanted to go and she didnot stop for it. I would have went if she had of stopped. I am watching for walking shoes. But not out so really no hurry.

Got to finish marking the things that are navy so can tell from black. That would be less to mark. I needto sort out the belts which I had not did and I know with my waist line what it is, but a belt to finish off the pants or slacks makes them look better, I feel. If the pants or slacks had no belt loops and I shortened them I use the cut pieces to make belt loops. Few belts didn't cost much at the thrift shop. Some times on sale. I was doing it for work. A string of cheap beads or necklace same color as belt. Iam not buying anything now. I did not spend much when I worked either really. I have the belt sand necklaces and I may as wear when I got to cities on the bus. Thursday I just wore old jeans and sweatshirt. Never though about having to take my coat off to eat at the senior center. Still trying to find the purse I set out to switch too.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:30 PM

I found my two pair of yoga pants this afternoon in the back bedroom and I left six or sever pair of scrub pants that I was given over at my daughter's a few weeks back. If the girls haven't confiscated the scrub pants I'll have more than enough long pants to wear around the house during cold weather. I also found a couple of tee shirts I had forgotten I had put away and I know I've already got at least a dozen of those so I can probably go at least 2 weeks without having to do a load of wash which will help since it takes so long to dry in cooler weather.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:56 PM

I decided to keep the extra large sweat pants with the drawstring waist as they're already paid for and I can wear them even though I don't like having to tie that drawstring after every trip to the bathroom. lol I'm going through all the old clothes we have put away here so I should have plenty of things to wear once I have everything washed and sorted out.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post

The ones at the thrift store here are a bit worn out for the price their asking.
Will wait till I get a bill paid off then will get some new ones.
The thrift stores around this area have 1/2 off tag colors each week. This week it was pink. I spend $10-20 here and there to keep up a nice selection of clothing. Yesterday I bought a brown cashmere sweater for church and a pretty white angora with gold sequins for Christmas. Unfortunately, I am old and fat and wear 10s all the time! Size 6 seems like a long lost dream now.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:01 AM
Master Pontificator

MyYellowRose -- you could thread some elastic thru the waist band where the drawstring is and have your elastic so you don't have to tie.

Dh had the button break off a pair of his jeans. He put them in the donate box but I pulled them out because I didn't want someone else to pay for them and find the button missing. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a packet of 6 jeans buttons for $1.64 (half price) and was able to pound the new button/rivet into place and fix the jeans. So for $1.64 (actually 28 if you divide by 6 cause I only used one) I saved a $25 pair of jeans.

I found some Alfred Dunner corduroys for myself at a thrift shop for $3 last week. Comfortable for wearing around home and look better than sweats.