BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Anna,
That is good to know about Jean buttons. I know I have something called batchlor buttons and not sure if same thing. I have never had to replace any jean buttons. I know the sewing/material shop had zipper pulls and such. I had some snap on ones I got at thrift shop. That was a good thing you did.

Right now have old pair jeans and pocket my keys stick through. Cheryl Tigg jeans and pocket material is very thin. Denium seems to be good grade. I have been debating if worth the effort to sew on a new piece of pocket. Guess are worth it. I carry keys with me all the time. I think they will last the winter.

I have had the pockets on front on the opening go bad and I would just zigzag them .

I wll have to look and see if that pair of gray sweat pants if I could run elastic in them. Too big but be good PJ's. Should be some way to do it. n
Old 11-10-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_to_seven_chi View Post
The thrift stores around this area have 1/2 off tag colors each week. This week it was pink. I spend $10-20 here and there to keep up a nice selection of clothing. Yesterday I bought a brown cashmere sweater for church and a pretty white angora with gold sequins for Christmas. Unfortunately, I am old and fat and wear 10s all the time! Size 6 seems like a long lost dream now.
It seems to be an end of season thing--maybe? The dredges of left-overs?
I see the winter stuff is coming out now---

Ya wear 10's--your a slim lady.
I found what I like to wear and what I SHOULD wear have become 2 different things--giggle :
Old 11-11-2013, 01:52 PM

All what I buy has a to be washable. I am just wearing what I got. I like pretty clothes too. I have no where to go for dress up clothes.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:57 PM

Down home a week ago Friday the Thrift shop had clothes at .50. Lady was sort of shocked I did not buy any. Looked at pair black jeans and waist to small. I carry a strip to measure waist, I was in hurry. I bought two pair of walking shoes I hope I can wear okay. That I needed and clothes I did not . Shoes $2 pair. Soles Brands I never hear of, K-swiss and LS and either a question mark or funny 3 bit Lehigh shoe. I count shoes as part of my clothing bill. So I have spent $4 this year. I spent none last year. My son send me an email and I get it little after 7am and he says do I want to go to city he is leaving at 8am. Had to get cow feed. I said yes and I needed to go to bank and thrift and he took me to hearing aid guy, Got that done. I had time to comb my hair and try to make a list FAST. Road was dry ad weather okay. Afterwards I thought maybe should have looked for long johns. I have total 6 pairs but should do this winter yet and next. Hard to get to that thrift shop to look. He will take me to get rags to cut for him before too long. or he will not have mechanic rags. I asked him about rags then and he said had enough and I have some to cut. Pickup had to leave room for shopping. Cow feed took up space. I can say 6 bags of rags do take up space too. Black trash bags full. I buy. Not room when he hauls cow feed.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:41 PM

I love colder weather. I have cold weather stuff (Long johns, down jacket, lined jeans) but I mostly end up not needing it. For whatever reason I seem to be a heat generator... My mom and girlfriend swear they can feel heat radiating off of me 6" from my body. Go up into the mountains where it hits single digits during the winter (though not this past winter! ugh) and you'll see me standing in the 10 degree snow wearing an under shirt, a flannel shirt, and a Carhartt vest over jeans and hiking boots. I admit to wool socks and insulated gloves.

I like the cold. You can always put more clothing on. In hot weather, you can only take so much off before neighbors start complaining
Old 01-29-2014, 12:47 PM

Rebel,
I am on the cold side due to medication I take. Old too and do not move very fast. Some people are warmer. Some of the women on the senior bus do not wear a coat. I would freeze. I have to wear my coat to walk the treadmill at rec center, Cool in that room.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:19 PM

Colorado, this is absolutely true... with younger people as well.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
I love colder weather. I have cold weather stuff (Long johns, down jacket, lined jeans) but I mostly end up not needing it. For whatever reason I seem to be a heat generator... My mom and girlfriend swear they can feel heat radiating off of me 6" from my body. Go up into the mountains where it hits single digits during the winter (though not this past winter! ugh) and you'll see me standing in the 10 degree snow wearing an under shirt, a flannel shirt, and a Carhartt vest over jeans and hiking boots. I admit to wool socks and insulated gloves.

I like the cold. You can always put more clothing on. In hot weather, you can only take so much off before neighbors start complaining
Bahahahah : True!!
I can get warm--but the summer humidity just kills me.
And at my age---nudity isnt an option!!!
Old 01-30-2014, 12:15 PM

Heat gets to me.

I know I have couple more pair of long johns. Got to be in closet. Maybe 3 pairs at least. I can remember had bought one pair of guys as like new and very good ones. I need count and be sure, I put 6 pairs in the drawer and checked there, Got to be up on the shelf in the closet. . I had sorted and bagged every thing and labeled. Got plenty for this winter and next it would seem.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:06 PM

Default Told my brother

My little brother has a new live in girlfriend who can cook. I told him not to buy any new jeans since I had plenty of 36in waist that I could send him to fill out.
LMAO he said , nah that ok I'll be fine where I'm at.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:01 PM

I hear ya, Colorado. Love cold weather too. Don't like it when it gets below -15F - otherwise it's all good.

I swear, if it was between 20F and 40F all the time, I would be in heaven. Best working weather ever. Course, not so good for gardening

Old 02-08-2014, 10:43 PM

We had a lot of below zero weather. Right now it seems to be raining. Most likely change to snow tonight.

I have to dig me out some socks as this bunch is wearing out. Old as they are that does happen. They have lasted good. Nice to go shopping in your closet.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:48 PM

Our Goodwill's have gone back to giving 50% off of the color of the week tags so last week I was able to pick up a nice blouse and three tee shirts for less than $10. Tried on four different pair of capri pants but none of them fit so I'll make do with the ones I've been wearing for several years.

I did find an eight pack of ladies undies on sale at Walmart so I grabbed one and I'll buy a couple of bra's if I find the kind I like hasn't gone up too much, I need more than three.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:02 PM

My total clothes bill this year so far is $4 for the two paid of shoes. I looked up those brands on internet and on one pair is listed at $65 and the other pair I did not find the ones but the brand and that brand seems to run from $40 to $85 and I presume ones I got on the low end. So both pair are not cheap shoes. . Soles show no wear. I get like new ones there. I have saw their shelves about bare just before school starts in the fall. I knew moving out here I would not get to thrift shops much to shop much.

I am still not planning to buy any clothes. Snow boots if find a good pair. Mine are like over 15 years old and afraid the back will split one of these days.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:41 PM

With my clothing list for each year I can go back and check what I paid. And how many even. Know how much I spent. I was running low on sock in the drawer as some were wearing out. I added more socks to the drawer.

Been thinking the panties are all at least 4 years old I am wearing. That they will be giving out. Years back I bought cheap panties from dime store and last I bought started breaking down by 3rd washing. I swore then I would not buy any more cheap panties. These I am wearing came from thrift shop at 50 cents pair. They are not cheap ones. Guess bought around a dozen. Was looking at them this morning and I they should go years yet. One can get good quality at the thrifts, I think it will be harder and harder to find things there. The economy such as it is.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Master Pontificator

I am set for next winter with fleece shirts, night gowns, and pajamas, now I can begin working on getting some good insulated long johns, socks, under clothing, insulated boots, and flannel lined jeans for me before next winter. I do need to get a good jacket for myself, but have not found one I really like.

Went ahead while things were on clearance and got my daughter winter's jacket and some sheppa lined flannel shirts along with some fleece shirts for my husband for next winter. Will continue to work on finishing up the winter clothing stock before I start getting flannel sheets for my bed and my daughter's bed, have some nice warm blankets already, but may get some more.

Don't know if I believe it when weather experts predict another winter next year like this one, was not ready for this cold winter, but hope I will be ready for the next one.
Thanks
Old 03-01-2014, 11:07 AM

Bundled up against the cold--I hit my favorite thrift store and have been buying summer pants.
I call them clam diggers(knee length).Only found a few pairs of walking shorts.
I found 9 in all kinds of colors.
It was seniors day and got an extra 20% off.
Wally world will have their mens tee shirts on sale.
I get a different assortment of colors at $3.00 a piece.
They are longer tailed/last alot longer than the ladies.
I carefully cut the neck band out of them---cant stand the choking feeling I get from the neckband.

I have some of these tees that last for years.
Heat will be here shortly .
I made some sun-dresses--kept them simple.

Right now many clearances on winter shoes.
I got house socks--2 pairs for $2.00--love these things.
They have the non-skid bottoms.
I'll be ready for next winter.

I have found right now the winter too summer clearances are in full force.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Master Pontificator

The long sleeve shirts, fleece nightgowns, pajamas, and shirts were all on sale in December at Kmart when I put them in layaway online, it only cost me a little each month till they were all paid out.

Next time I am in town where the thrift shop is I am going to go by and find me some short sleeve cotton shirts, they are cooler for working outside because it lets the wind circulate through them, I do have some tee shirts, but don't wear them much.
Thanks
Old 03-01-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
The long sleeve shirts, fleece nightgowns, pajamas, and shirts were all on sale in December at Kmart when I put them in layaway online, it only cost me a little each month till they were all paid out.

Next time I am in town where the thrift shop is I am going to go by and find me some short sleeve cotton shirts, they are cooler for working outside because it lets the wind circulate through them, I do have some tee shirts, but don't wear them much.
Thanks
Me too! I love cotton--the poly stuff is too hot for me.
I like the mens tees'--they are larger and dont smother me.
I hate tight clothes.

WM is marking down tons of stuff.
But you and I know much of it is trash and doesnt last.
I do buy their fleece jammies for the winter--marked way down.

I have my nice go to town stuff IF I am a-mind to wear it.
But I seem to really get into the dirt and grim when I am working around here--:
Old 03-01-2014, 03:26 PM

I am one that does not care much for flannel sheets, I have few older ones. I like the sheet blankets, as warmer. I found 3 at thrift shop for $1 each. I am not sure they make sheet blankets anymore. I have a few more old ones when I get unpacked. I do have 4 new ones.

I wear jeans year around.