BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:08 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I wore a cream colored sweater vest , wool, yesterday with blouse and dark brown pants, I found when I got home and took of it has to little hole in the waist bank on back. Most of the time I had my coat on. I find two more little holes this morning. Not sure worth fooling with. Yes, my clothes left over from when I worked are old. I guess I need to check more things.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:40 PM

I was over on AARP site or clothes for older women. Prices they suggest, to me sure are high. Guess people that join AARP have lot more money. They have some color combinations I never though of. Camel with black.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:08 PM

This thrift shop in Vernal and ladies tees are $3 and up for regular, sleeveless or long sleeved. Ladies jeans are $3 up and saw some for $8. I was waiting on the bus. Down home the thrift shop is cheaper.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
I was over on AARP site or clothes for older women. Prices they suggest, to me sure are high. Guess people that join AARP have lot more money. They have some color combinations I never though of. Camel with black.
I am not an AARP fan----I think they are scammers in the first degree.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:16 PM

I have never belonged to AARP. I know clothes are high and good quality last longer.

My cousin had AARP car ins and was telling me how much less he paid by going to them. He was paying about like I was for liability and I told him check his as that would be all he had too, You have to belong to AARP to get ins and so on. He never mentioned that ins again. Colorado you must at least have liability. He was legal.

I doubt a lot figure that membership fee as part of the cost. One lady told me how cheap she got vitamins and we figure what I paid at Kmart was less. I never could see joining.

I hate moths. Just tossed out the camel colored jacket and skirt as wool. They had gotten a few holes. I wanted the jacket. I rarely wear skirt or dress anymore.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:47 AM
Master Pontificator

I went thru my closet and cleared out a garbage bag of office clothes and donated them. I probably should have gotten rid of more! It feels good to eliminate and make space. It also is good to get rid of things I don't need to make room for what I do wear.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:41 PM

Anna ,
I did that too after I retired. I just saved back the best if needed. I had gained wt and lot to small. I had not did the pants and jeans and good thing I had now as I can wear now. I have packed away all the too big pants and jeans. Any too small after this wt loss I got rid of. I need check the closet more. Dr says I have to keep my wt down. And this walking has slimmed me down.

Here I live way different than did. When you change life styles and I sure have done that. I am slowing tossing out clothes. Last month tossed out some skirts.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:55 PM

I am favorable towards a simpler wardrobe for my self basically black crew socks, Keen Boots, Duluth trading firehose work pants, navy blue tee shirts and a jacket of some sort. The thing I like about duluth trading fire hoes pants is youu can return them once they wear out and the company will replace them for free! Which is extremely useful since they are comfortable and durable with plenty of pockets and plenty of range of motion!
Old 04-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Master Pontificator

On the surface I have too many pairs of jeans. However, I bought all but one pair at thrift shops so do not have much invested and I'm hopeful that I can now go 10 or more years without buying jeans. So those jeans are (1) current and future wearable, (2) a prep (3) frugal. I try to find the balance between good prepping and hoarding. To me hoarding is hanging on to stuff I'm not likely (or never) going to use. Prepping is having what I need for the future on-hand, purchased economically and stored properly. I also have kept several pairs of jeans in a size smaller in case I manage to lose some weight. I figure in a shtf situation I WILL lose weight so saving those jeans is a good prep!

My current wardrobe consists of sweat pants or jeans, sweat shirts, turtlenecks. For summer that will switch to t-shirts and shorts or slacks. In-between weather I wear jeans or light weight slacks instead of sweat pants and a t-shirt with a jacket or sweater over as needed. I do not need more than 3 or 4 dressy or even semi-dressy outfits for any season. I've narrowed my "dressy" down to black slacks with black turtleneck and a jacket in winter and the same slacks with black T-shirt and light weight jacket in summer. I generally buy turtlenecks, undies and T-shirts new but everything else is from thrift shops. It took over a year of looking but I finally found the prefect dressy jacket for winter at a thrift shop for $2.75.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:57 PM

Anna, I do about the same. I buy jeans when on sale at thrift usually. I have extra jeans. The extras are set away. I can not always find my size. Most all I have to shorten. It takes awhile for me to get them ready to wear. I wash them and try on and then hem up. I hate trying clothes.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:26 PM

I have been trying to pair of some tops to go with my pants/slacks to wear for town wear, when I go to the cities. I need to get tees sorted again I need to finish marking anything navy to tell from black okay. I can only in real good light. I do not still plan to buy any clothes this year. I will wear what I have. Two pair of shoes I have bought. I do wear them out walking. So spent $4 this year. I have plenty of clothes. Some colors go together better than others.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:15 AM

I decided today that I need to pull out my winter clothes and see what I can still wear and what if anything I need to replace. I bought two pair of fleece-lined leggings this past spring and I may look into gettin at least two more pair as well as a couple more pair of sweat pants and another package of black socks. I also need to find somewhere to get the front zipper on the London Fog jacket I bought replaced so I'll have it if I have to go out in very cold weather.

Is anyone else thinking of their winter wardrobe yet?
Old 09-03-2014, 12:47 PM

Far as know I will not buy any clothes this year. I bought the two pair of shoes and that is it. Total $4. Well I think I could use a new Pair of snow boots. Think that would be only thing I would buy . My pair has very good soles but over 15 years old I think. Upper back part I am leery of tearing.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:45 PM

We have pretty much got our clothes lined out. I just bought some tops at Goodwill that are short-sleeved because I just don't have that many. I have plenty of winter tops and sweaters but would like to get a couple long sleeved t-shirts. I mainly wear skirts and that helps considering most of my jeans don't fit. Lol.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsteader71 View Post
We have pretty much got our clothes lined out. I just bought some tops at Goodwill that are short-sleeved because I just don't have that many. I have plenty of winter tops and sweaters but would like to get a couple long sleeved t-shirts. I mainly wear skirts and that helps considering most of my jeans don't fit. Lol.
Now is the time to buy short sleeve things at Thrift shops---many are putting out the winter things and have the short sleeves on sale trying to move them.

I need sweat bottoms--and will buy more socks--I am a sock kind of person. LOL
Old 09-05-2014, 10:22 PM

I will have to get out my winter PJ's soon. I have enough I am sure. I was running short summer ones. I never wear sweat pants except for PJ's. So I do wear the sweat shirts with my jeans. I have plenty of short sleeved tops and sleeveless but not a lot long sleeved. But sure enough to get me through another year. Long johns I wear do to the pills I take and say dress warm. 6 pair in drawer and that should get me though this winter. I think couple more pairs on the shelf in closet. I try to plan ahead.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Master Pontificator

I recently spent $20 at a thrift shop and got dh 2 pair of jeans, myself black dress pants (brand new Alfred Dunner), a mid weight Koret jacket, a pleated skirt (like new Sag Harbor), black short sleeve jacket (Travel Smith). I have a couple dressy T's to go with the skirt, but I would like to find a nice T or blouse in a black/white or black/blue combination to go with the black slacks and jacket.

As far as winter clothes go -- this is Iowa -- we wear winter clothes 9 months of the year -- so I have plenty. I bought a new winter coat and snow boots just before I retired so I'm good there. Otherwise, I live in jeans and sweatshirts or sweaters with a T-neck under. The zipper on one of dh's winter coats broke so he may need a new coat this year. If he does, we'll probably wait until the January sales and buy it 60% or 75% off.

My big clothing expense is always my shoes. I wear a 4-A width which is a very rare animal. I usually have to have them special ordered and sometimes I've gone years without being able to find any so I always try to have at least one new pair on-hand. New Balance makes a walking shoe in white for $109 that I just bought last month. SAS sometimes has shoes I can wear but again over $100. So I budget one pair a year although I often don't get a pair each year.

I budget $30 a month for clothing for 2 of us. Our average spending for clothing for the first 8 months of this year is $20.10 a month and that includes the $109 shoes.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:11 PM

Anna,
you got good buys. I wear a 8AA and harder I know to find them.

I bought some shoes when I could find new and like new for $2 and I was checking box yesterday. I have enough shoes . I bought dress shoes at 25 cents a pair. I spent $2 and have life time supply. All AA's . Walking shoes just try to find narrow ones and wear heavy socks.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:40 PM

I picked up a black skirt, knee length and the first I've bought/worn in years, and a black short-sleeved pullover top for $3 each. I'm also going to buy black shoes and a black bag, these items will be put away for Psalm-Angel's memorial service in late October. Wal-Mart has black clogs for just under $10 and I'm going to pick up a pair, I hope to find a large black purse/bag at Goodwill but may just get one from Wal-Mart as I saw some nice ones there today. I'll also check Goodwill for black dress slacks or a longer skirt but I'll have what I bought today if I need it.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:25 PM

MYR,
Don't for get the pantyhose. Couple of pair. I can usually stick my finger though one.

I told my son the other day I did not have the clothes to wear to that church that has been coming here and inviting me. I do not have the money either. They seem to dressed in black. Son said that church seem to dress more formal than the other churches. She had on long black coat and bonnet. He did not think they all dressed in black. Far as I know he has never been to it. They are several miles from me.

When the thrift shop down home had a sale I did buy me some dresses. Couple black were sleeveless. Wear with an over blouse be like a skirt and top. Or with jacket. I bought some panty hose and no idea where packed.