BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on

Hands-on Hands-on/Repair topics that do not have a dedicated board, above.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 PM

Default Knots you know

Which knots should everyone be familar with? I use the "blood knot", Uni knot, Clinch knot, Surgeon's knot just mention a few. These come in very handy when tying fishing line or rope.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offtheradar View Post
Which knots should everyone be familar with? I use the "blood knot", Uni knot, Clinch knot, Surgeon's knot just mention a few. These come in very handy when tying fishing line or rope.
An old Eagle Scout here

I often use a bowline, clove hitch, square knot, truckers hitch, sheepshank, and half hitches.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I use the bowel knot, That's the one when your stomach knots up after eating to much chili
Old 12-07-2015, 01:40 PM

Default Getting all tied up.

Last week I began to realize how few knots I remember -- I had gotten lazy and started using ratchet straps and hooks with clips. For the past few days, I've been all tied up learning and re-learning knots.

I found a much better knot than the Taut Line Hitch -- it's called the Midshipman's Hitch.

I learned the "Truckie" knot, which seems better than the trucker's knot I used to use but then I found a modified trucker's knot that I like even better.

the Figure Eight is a must have knot because it's the foundation for several other knots. Especially handy for climbing and rescue work.

Most importantly -- I figured out that if you don't use it, you'll lose it. That's why I decided to add a knot tying refresher to my monthly to do list.

Here are a few links I found with very helpful knot tying illustrations.

http://www.netknots.com/

http://www.itstactical.com/topics/skillcom/knots/

And I even found a music video (it's been viewed over 13 million times!).
https://youtu.be/TUHgGK-tImY

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:31 PM

I used a couple of trucker hitches this morning to lash a 4X4 to the posts supporting the roof over our deck so the stupid cat that had climbed up one of those posts could climb back down from the roof. She's a "drop-off," and even though we feed her and provide a house for her, she won't let us touch her. I knew there was no way I was going to be able to climb up on the roof and carry her back down. Stupid cat! She's a good vole getter though.

Other than the trucker hitches I use pretty often these days, as a climber for a many good years before I got old, I always used a figure 8 to tie into the rope, I used clove hitches pretty often for quickly tying off to anchors, and I usually used grapevine (aka "fisherman" or "barrel") knots for joining two ropes together for long rappels.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:57 PM

years and years (and years) ago I spent a summer working for a sail maker my Granny knew. He had a government contract for tent ropes, and he had me doing eye splices and end whips. Counting me, it was just a three man operation and the other old salt taught me the "monkey fist". Got pretty good at it, but as the years went by with never a need for it, it completely escaped from my memory. Now I'm seeing them everywhere--key chains to door stops, and wishing I still could. Have been thinking of buying one and reverse engineering it, but I believe your posted web sites might be the first place to look.

Still know how and use a few knots--Bowline, clove and half hitches, and a loop thing I have no idea of a name, that makes for easy tightening. But you are right--ratchet straps and wire ties have pushed most knots into obscurity.

JVC
Old 12-10-2015, 01:32 PM

I have a limited coral of choices of knots I use.. A small group of knots that I seem to be able to use for most everything I do..

If I needed anything different or special, I like to look it up at a site called "Animated Knots".... Fun to watch the ropes move..

Offgridbob.... Dude... Seriously more info than I needed...
Unfortunately.... I've been there, done that... Not pretty...

Take care..