BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 09-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Lee Loader.......

Way back when I was a teen, a couple brothers about my age had a Lee Loader for 410 shot shells..... They reloaded a bunch of old paper shells till they were so frazzled they used masking tape to hold them together.... But they used them in an old single shot break open gun.....

I have a line on an almost new HR 1871 Handy Rifle with a 30-30 barrel.... I'm considering it for the fact that you can get barrels of other calibers...

And for instance with the 30-30, you can load pointed bullets for the single shot....

Anyone have experience with a Lee Loader in a bottle neck rifle caliber ??
I don't think 30-30 would be hard to load for and keep accurate as a 30-30 needs to be.... But how do Lee Loaders work out for say a 308, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag.... ?? Something with some more punch...

Now I also realize a Handy Rifle in 7 Mag or 300 Win will be a brute to shoot.... But not much more than a Ruger single shot......

Anyone with experience with bottle neck Lee Loaders ???
Old 09-23-2013, 09:28 AM

I have one in .303 caliber. I haven't used it in years. It will only resize the neck if I remember correctly, so if you have a couple rifles in the same caliber, I'd recommend you keep aside all cases to be used in the Handy rifle so they don't get mixed up with ones you may use in the other guns. I remember making some pretty decent loads with my Lee Loader. They're a little time consuming to use, but you can't get a simpler loading tool.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Master Pontificator

You can get the Lee Loader in the more popular rifle calibers, though not everything. Yes, you can get .308, .30-06, 7mm mag. act. Here's a link to buy a .308.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/735...308-winchester
Old 09-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Master Pontificator

Lee Loaders come in many calibers.....although not as many as in the past.
The shotgun version we not made by Lee, (I called them for the manual for 20 ga) but were contracted out.

Loaded 7 mag for years, as well a .225 Win.....and as long as they were from your gun to start with, no problems, as they do just size the neck.

Had a problem with some brass I picked up at the range for the 7 mag...was fired in a Browning auto loader....some wouldn't chamber at all and many were hard to chamber.

Also check case length closely....

Handy Rifles (later ones are available is plenty of calibers as well) need to check serial number with the recommended series that the factory will fit.
Phone call will work...
http://www.hr1871.com/support/accessoryprogram.asp

Won't seen to many Mag calibers, as the barrel need to be longer to get the speed for magnums from the slow burning powders.

So you can get a 7 mm -08 but not a 7 mm mag.

Did see a .300 Blackout Handi at the last show I was at....didn't know they made them....LOL
Old 09-24-2013, 09:10 AM

For years I've satisfactorily used Lee Loaders for 30-30 and for 303 Brit on brass used repeatedly but fired only in the same rifle. I get a LOT of reloadings out of my brass by loading light and not resizing full length, however, I've been known to get a buddy to do that for me a time or two. Wasn't necessarily needed but I was getting a bit nervous about length and chambering in the Marlin 30-30 lever action. The bolt gun never complained. Single shots shouldn't be a problem either for any reasonable life of brass in all your rounds. The only time I get jitters with the Lee Loaders is setting primers with a hammer. Had one go off-- wasn't too spectacular but startled me so I've just bought a Lee primer tool: the hand squeeze thing-- it's sweet.

oeb