BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy > Hydro/Wind/Wood/Geothermal

Hydro/Wind/Wood/Geothermal And other types of alternative energy

Old 02-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger598 View Post
When they start talking about things , it isn't to long before one of them starts thinking it into a reality.

They were talking about this sort of thing when I lived in Colorado..........in 1968.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:20 AM

Makes one wonder,how can they possibly stop every wood burner?

I too seriously doubt they can deny folks a way to keep warm--but then very little surprises my conservative nature.

Though it does make for online conversation and the sky is falling scare tactics.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:41 AM

Default live free, or die trying

recently, the epa 'gave' a town in wyoming, a pretty good sized town, to an indian reservation. causing a lot of 'bad feelings' among many locals.

lot of people depend on the dead trees littering the ground for their heat in winter time, they say the governemnt needs to go away and leave them alone, the government says the people need to go away.

its two wills in opposition. its a sign of the times. it is intended to make peoples lives 'illegal'

your life will be illegal, dont use water, dont use gasoline, dont use coal, dont use wood, dont use air.

this is what sociopaths do, they always stop other people from living.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 AM

Unhappy

sethwyo - I wholeheartedly agree.

Who knew 5 yrs ago that the EPA would become so powerful as to seize towns and just give them away to someone else? Life is getting really scary now. I just hope we can all survive what's coming.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Be an ant....not a grasshopper!
Old 03-08-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwyo View Post
recently, the epa 'gave' a town in wyoming, a pretty good sized town, to an indian reservation. causing a lot of 'bad feelings' among many locals.

lot of people depend on the dead trees littering the ground for their heat in winter time, they say the governemnt needs to go away and leave them alone, the government says the people need to go away.

its two wills in opposition. its a sign of the times. it is intended to make peoples lives 'illegal'

your life will be illegal, dont use water, dont use gasoline, dont use coal, dont use wood, dont use air.

this is what sociopaths do, they always stop other people from living.
Seth, get your facts right before you start spreading rumors and fear. My sons own a small ranch outside of Riverton, smack dab in the middle of the reservation and no - Riverton has not been given over to the Indians nor has their property.

http://county10.com/2014/01/09/quick...oundary-issue/
Old 03-08-2014, 08:13 PM

quite LYING about me.

i am Not spreading any rumors. that is a lie you have posted.

i am not spreading any fear. that is a lie you have posted.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarksLady View Post
They were talking about this sort of thing when I lived in Colorado..........in 1968.
they wanted a ban on wood stoves in coloardo in the 60's ?

i nowe some people who wore colorado natives who fled in the 70's becuase they said the state was being turned into a 'prison'

i was going to move there in the early 2000's, but found that vehicle inspections prevent some older vehicles from being used there, more issues about polution. and in some areas you cant smoke tobaco, i dont use ciggerets but its insone that the cops will come ticket you in some citys there if you smoke.

there are some areas in colorado where you cant have wood stoves, the state is almost two differnt states, east and west.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:46 AM

Would like to see the EPA go to Alaska & start there trying to enforce the BS.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
Would like to see the EPA go to Alaska & start there trying to enforce the BS.
The rules apply to NEW stoves, so it's the manufacturers who have to comply, even if they are in Alaska
Old 03-13-2014, 02:03 AM

it seems to me that some people who live there, in alaska, told me there are already some laws about wood stoves there, in some areas. have been for many years, like 40 years.

some areas dont get wind blowing through to mover the smoky air away, so it would hang in the community, little pockets of towns with no air current, so they passed laws against wood stoves .

same as in some citys in colorado, but in the country there no laws against it. not yet, dont forget the bad guys never give up
Old 04-02-2014, 12:48 PM

Default outdoor wood smoke

jumping in here a little late but we see that in a lot of areas in Idaho where there are pockets of no air moving thru to remove the smoke from the environment from wood stoves/fireplaces and burn barrels. Small towns on the rivers in valleys get this all the time. The air or smoke gets "trapped" in the valley until a big storm comes thru and pushes it away. Doing indoor air quality analysis in schools around the state showed us how bad it can get at times. What is outside gets into the schools & effects student & staff health. 1 out of 5 kids now a days have asthma so we look closely at all the issues effecting them- outdoor "trapped" wood smoke being 1 of those issues.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
Makes one wonder,how can they possibly stop every wood burner?

I too seriously doubt they can deny folks a way to keep warm--but then very little surprises my conservative nature.

Though it does make for online conversation and the sky is falling scare tactics.
Same way they stopped people from burning trash. They passed a law and then just cited people when they burned trash. After awhile even your neighbors will turn you in if they see smoke coming from your stack.

The same way they stop people from burning when their is a burn ban for what ever reason. They catch you they fine you. Not like you can hide that smoke. And they are trying so hard to do it as well. Just like they did not ban cars in Calif just made them pass smog or they could not be plated. Yes they grandfathered some automobiles but they knew those old cars would die soon enough. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...e-regulations/ A federal proposal requiring more efficiency from wood-burning stoves has ignited a debate between the Obama administration and lawmakers who oppose the new regulations, arguing the rules impose an unfair burden on people in remote areas.

The Environmental Protection Agency proposed a rule changes in January that would dramatically tighten emissions requirements on new wood-powered heaters, though does not impact ones already in homes.

The EPA estimates that as much as 13 percent of all soot pollution in the U.S. is a result of inefficient wood-fired stoves and boilers.

The dispute pits several mostly urban states, mainly in the northeast, against some rural states such as South Dakota, which says the rules would impose an unfair burden on people in remote areas. About one in four South Dakota homes has a fireplace or wood stove.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisser View Post
You may be old enough to remember, when seatbelt laws were first passed, we were told that we would never be pulled over just for that offence. It would only be ticketed if discovered during another offence.

Now police are "aggressively" (according to their own commercials on tv and radio) ticketing solely for lack of seatbelt use.

It is the natural order of government to increase power incrementally.

?
So true. You have made a very good point which pertains to all new restrictions on anything. It is why homeschoolers fight so hard to retain their freedom and anonymity.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Same way they stopped people from burning trash. They passed a law and then just cited people when they burned trash. After awhile even your neighbors will turn you in if they see smoke coming from your stack.

The same way they stop people from burning when their is a burn ban for what ever reason. They catch you they fine you. Not like you can hide that smoke. And they are trying so hard to do it as well. Just like they did not ban cars in Calif just made them pass smog or they could not be plated. Yes they grandfathered some automobiles but they knew those old cars would die soon enough. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...e-regulations/ A federal proposal requiring more efficiency from wood-burning stoves has ignited a debate between the Obama administration and lawmakers who oppose the new regulations, arguing the rules impose an unfair burden on people in remote areas.

The Environmental Protection Agency proposed a rule changes in January that would dramatically tighten emissions requirements on new wood-powered heaters, though does not impact ones already in homes.

The EPA estimates that as much as 13 percent of all soot pollution in the U.S. is a result of inefficient wood-fired stoves and boilers.

The dispute pits several mostly urban states, mainly in the northeast, against some rural states such as South Dakota, which says the rules would impose an unfair burden on people in remote areas. About one in four South Dakota homes has a fireplace or wood stove.

Well said.

In fact anyone considering buying a new stove or outdoor boiler would be smart to get a new model with wood gasification. First it's virtually smokeless and most important burns a lot less wood ( easier on the back for us hand splitters) .
Old 04-08-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Well said.

In fact anyone considering buying a new stove or outdoor boiler would be smart to get a new model with wood gasification. First it's virtually smokeless and most important burns a lot less wood ( easier on the back for us hand splitters) .
I could agree to a certain point but also remember buying that cost more and some people are on a tight budget. One reason I have not updated my wood burner the cost. Just need to save for what I want. However I hate being dictated by anybody on what I HAVE to buy. I would prefer it be my choice.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones
However I hate being dictated by anybody on what I HAVE to buy. I would prefer it be my choice.
I hate to bring this up, but isn't that exactly the problem with Obama Care?

OK so I'll bet you think the two are unrelated but in fact they are exactly the same issue from the exact same source.

Time to connect the dots here.

Folks here in SDAK can't afford LP at upwards of $6/gallon. That was really rough for them and it will only get worse. (I know it was a "supply" problem" just like it is for oil/gasoline at the pump, and your check IS in the mail")
//BT//
Old 04-09-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I could agree to a certain point but also remember buying that cost more and some people are on a tight budget. One reason I have not updated my wood burner the cost. Just need to save for what I want. However I hate being dictated by anybody on what I HAVE to buy. I would prefer it be my choice.
I don't know about inside stove cost but an outside water stove to heat a big house would probably 6/7 grand . I know my taylor ( old style) cost about 4. Is this any different that bring force to buy cars with catalytic converters( which is really what wood gasification is).
Old 01-11-2015, 04:26 PM

Talking Buy a Wood Stove Now?

I'd like some advice. I'll be building my off-grid cabin in about 2 years. Like many of you, I'll be heating with wood. It appears the EPA will ban currently made wood stoves and force companies to replace with much more expensive stoves that reduce "pollution".

My question - should I consider buying and storing a current type wood stove such as Central Boiler or other type of stove so I'll have it for my new cabin? What stove would you recommend for heating a 2000 square foot home? Not looking for the hot water heating type stoves, just the ones that pump warm air into my home from outside.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
My question - should I consider buying and storing a current type wood stove such as Central Boiler or other type of stove so I'll have it for my new cabin?
That won't help if they ban the "installation" of stoves that don't meet all regulations in place at that time

Also keep in mind most regulations affecting manufacturers are Federal rules, and some states or counties can have even more stringent regulations.

Most any type of stove will heat a well insulated 2000 sq ft home.

They are all basically boxes that hold fire, and despite all the sales hype, heat output is pretty much the same

Those that use an outside air source for combustion will help, but it still won't make a huge difference
Old 01-11-2015, 06:07 PM

Internet myth concerning EPA and wood stoves.

In any case if someone is going to buy a wood stove for heat, they wood be foolish not to buy the improved gasification stoves. Far more efficient and use half as much wood .