BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy > Hydro/Wind/Wood/Geothermal

Hydro/Wind/Wood/Geothermal And other types of alternative energy

Old 11-28-2015, 01:19 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Not sure what you're questioning. New style furnaces are more expensive than older ones.

You can look up gasification online-- basically, if you heat up wood without enough O2, it breaks down to H2 & C. The little bit of O2 still there is added to give a little H2O and CO. With full O2, it would oxidize all the way to H2O and CO2....That's the basis of the wood burning ICE: produce H2 & CO in the drum, them pipe it to the engine as fuel for complete oxidation.
Once again do you have a source to back up these claims .
Would like to read it if you have one ?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2015, 12:59 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasification
Old 11-28-2015, 01:54 PM

Doct
I have ask about the data you have on the new wood stoves - if you have it !!
I ask because what I read co will be reduced by 62 %under the new rule not increased.

Quote:
Carbon monoxide emissions from wood heaters covered by the rule will be an estimated 46,100 tons lower – a reduction of 62 percent.
http://www2.epa.gov/residential-wood...quirements-new

Last edited by MissouriFree; 11-28-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:10 AM

I'm not up on the technology of exactly how the new regs will be met. We've both read that "gassification" is involved, but that doesn't make sense. After all, the blacksmith uses a bellows to increase the amount of O2 into his fire to get a hotter flame- more complete oxidation--ie- more CO2 & H2O & less CxHx and gassification involves less O2, so less oxidation --ie--more H2 & CO & CxHx.

If "improved" emissions is their goal, then they're way off target anyways. How much poisonous CO is produced isn't the problem-- it's how well is it ventilated that counts. We don;t see any city dwellers suffering because a million autos are driving down their streets producing tons of CO at all hours, but even a little put-put single cylinder in a closed garage will do you in quickly.

One advantage of gassification is that the wood burns more slowly, presumably with more of the heat remaining usable and not going up the chimney and making stoking the fire less frequent.

We're probably both incompletely informed on this subject. I'm against the regs just on GP (Don't Tread on Me). If there's a better way of doing things, the free market will find the optimum. In 40 yrs of practicing medicine, I've never heard of a kid going to the ER with an asthma attack because a neighbor was burning a Yule Log in his fireplace.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:28 AM

Red face

OH so you reall aren't talking about the new stoves just gasification in general -- ok !
So it is more about being against any new rule no matter what it accomplishes. Without really understanding it.

Lot of that going on now days isn't there ?

But in reality the wood stove testing and emission issue is over 25 years old . It started during reagand and bush 1. Epa phase 1 went into effect in 1988. I suspect we heard the same myths back then .

https://chimneysweeponline.com/hoepareg.htm

Last edited by MissouriFree; 12-01-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:47 PM

But I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to the health effects of emissions: A NON-PROBLEM!

So, why do they need to regulate it?

We're talking about rural settings, with neighbors a half mile away. Even in urban settings, it's unlikely a significant number of people would want to heat with wood.

It's like auto emissions: no evidence anyone was injured by the old cars. How do they decide what numbers to use now for the new standards, getting continually more stringent? Is 8ppb of CO emitted into an atmosphere 10 km thick any worse for us than 6ppb? GIVE ME A BREAK!

They're worried about NOx because that's LAUGHING GAS, which makes people happy, and happy people don't put up with bureaucratic BS, only the "victim types"' do..
Old 12-01-2015, 11:24 PM

Have you way doc!! It's always good to have an " opinion".

Last edited by MissouriFree; 12-02-2015 at 11:21 AM.