BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > Philosophy

Philosophy Any non-religious philosophical discussions.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:48 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Living to the fullest

Was mankind meant to live with all the new gadgets the world has to offer or to live a simple life with just what is needed to keep us healthy and alive.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:29 PM

The Curse, changed everything.

Nothing has been 'the way it's supposed to be' since......
Old 10-27-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridbob View Post
Was mankind meant to live with all the new gadgets the world has to offer or to live a simple life with just what is needed to keep us healthy and alive.
I think we can OGB,if we turn from our greedy ways.
But when was the last time that happened?

As we age I think our minds and hearts do change and we draw wisdom from past mistakes.(well some do)

Greed/self indulgence/me-ism is our down-fall.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:50 PM

Here may be another way of looking at this question. Do you live, or do you exsist?

It could be looked at 2 different ways.

One way is "Wow, those people must be poor. They drive older cars, pack their own lunch in a brown bag, can't go on a 2 week vacation because they have animals at home....." Is this living? I would say yes, because I get to go out to my garden and eat fresh. That is not a sandwich I buy at a chain. My kids learn the cycle of life. Its not always easy, but it is "real" life. They will know how to take care of themselves in a variety of situations.

The other way is the "we have the latest neatest things. We have a bunch of cans in the basement. Our meat comes from the store, and we will just go get more. My smart phone will show me whatever I need to find. We go on vacation every year." I guess that this could be called "living in the moment."

I feel that we can choose to "live" or "exist." What it comes down to is what we choose. For me, choosing a simpler lifestyle over needing a "high maintence" one is the way I will go.

Let the lights go dark, We will survive, and most likely enjoy the simpler, yet "harder" life.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:29 AM

Whats kind of sad is people got to the fast throw it away lifestyle slowly over time and didn't even realize it. I like what you said Woodustmaker. I think we are more wired for peace and tranquility then a hustle and bustle lifestyle. There was a time I tried to keep up with the Jones but then they died of heart attacks and I soon changed my ways.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooddustmaker View Post
Here may be another way of looking at this question. Do you live, or do you exsist?

One way is "Wow, those people must be poor. They drive older cars, pack their own lunch in a brown bag, can't go on a 2 week vacation because they have animals at home....." Is this living? I would say yes, because I get to go out to my garden and eat fresh. That is not a sandwich I buy at a chain. My kids learn the cycle of life. Its not always easy, but it is "real" life. They will know how to take care of themselves in a variety of situations.

The other way is the "we have the latest neatest things. We have a bunch of cans in the basement. Our meat comes from the store, and we will just go get more. My smart phone will show me whatever I need to find. We go on vacation every year." I guess that this could be called "living in the moment."

I feel that we can choose to "live" or "exist." What it comes down to is what we choose. For me, choosing a simpler lifestyle over needing a "high maintence" one is the way I will go.

Let the lights go dark, We will survive, and most likely enjoy the simpler, yet "harder" life.
I remember a simpler life----hard as you say---YES but none of the horrible hustle we live with now.

Bob---know that one well.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:45 PM

Having traveled to other parts of the world, I've meet people who were quite happy despite having very little. Yet in this country, we have an excessive amount of gadgetry and many people who are far from happy. I believe that it boils down to the social interactions between people that accounts for greater happiness, not the latest and greatest shiny new toy. Granted the argument can be made that smart phones and tablets can help connect people through social media, but there's still the lack of human presence in those situations.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
I think we can OGB,if we turn from our greedy ways.
But when was the last time that happened?

As we age I think our minds and hearts do change and we draw wisdom from past mistakes.(well some do)

Greed/self indulgence/me-ism is our down-fall.
Young or old, if you have at least half a brain, you should learn some wisdom from your mistakes. There is a lot of self indulgence out there. I am not 100% certain that greed is the problem. I would be more inclined to say that "instant gratification" is more of the problem. It is so much easier to go to a resturant, sit down and order a meal than it is to spend the same amount of time that you were waiting to cook the same thing, only healthier, for half or less the cost. "I want it, and I want it NOW!"..... Ask my kids how well that works for them.

We are trying to teach, and show our kids that happiness can come from something as simple as turning a cardboard box into a fort. I was always told "what you and what you get aren't always the same thing." I think I turned out alright.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Gent View Post
Having traveled to other parts of the world, I've meet people who were quite happy despite having very little. Yet in this country, we have an excessive amount of gadgetry and many people who are far from happy. I believe that it boils down to the social interactions between people that accounts for greater happiness, not the latest and greatest shiny new toy. Granted the argument can be made that smart phones and tablets can help connect people through social media, but there's still the lack of human presence in those situations.

Very true comment here. I don't have to have the "latest, shinest, fastest" smart phone out. I am on my second one, of the exact same model. It is a pain in the butt, but I can keep tabs on my social media, which consists of this site, and one or two others. Facebook and twitter can fall of the face of the earth as far as I am concerned. The smart phone makes certain things easier. I do like the cell phone though. It does make communication when gone from home so much easier.

The written word IS NOT the same as the spoken word. It lacks all of the emotion.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Young or old, if you have at least half a brain, you should learn some wisdom from your mistakes. There is a lot of self indulgence out there. I am not 100% certain that greed is the problem. I would be more inclined to say that "instant gratification" is more of the problem. It is so much easier to go to a resturant, sit down and order a meal than it is to spend the same amount of time that you were waiting to cook the same thing, only healthier, for half or less the cost. "I want it, and I want it NOW!"..... Ask my kids how well that works for them.

We are trying to teach, and show our kids that happiness can come from something as simple as turning a cardboard box into a fort. I was always told "what you and what you get aren't always the same thing." I think I turned out alright.
You are so right.
My boys learned early on that if you find a cardboard box--make a fort out of it.

And i will add,that for the few that were seriously deprived of things,they may go over board later in life and dig themselves a debt pit---trying to make up for not having things.

Now things are fun.
And life is about hard work but enjoying the fruits of our labors.

Balance is hard to find.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
You are so right.
My boys learned early on that if you find a cardboard box--make a fort out of it.

And i will add,that for the few that were seriously deprived of things,they may go over board later in life and dig themselves a debt pit---trying to make up for not having things.

Now things are fun.
And life is about hard work but enjoying the fruits of our labors.

Balance is hard to find.

The balance is very hard to find, but it can be done.

The thing I see the most often amongst those that grew up with little to nothing is the inability to get rid of anything that they come to view as a possesion. Almost to the point of being a hoarder. That can be as bad, or worse than overcompensating for having nothing by going into debt to finance having something.

My Dad grew up with nothing, and he can't get rid of anything either. My Mother grew up with nothing, but if something has no practical value, down the road it goes. I didn't have lots of stuff, but it was ok. My needs were met. I have no problem getting rid of something if it has no practical purpose. Having something " just because I always wanted one, and I can now" doesn't work for me. I can think of many a toy that I wanted in my youth, but I will not go buy one just to have. (I may buy it for my kids, then play with it for a few, but that's different

The fun times I had with a simple cardboard box. We were only limited by our imaginations. That is where I want my kids to be. Now if their imagination didn't always require all of my tape of any sort......
Old 11-07-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
The balance is very hard to find, but it can be done.

The thing I see the most often amongst those that grew up with little to nothing is the inability to get rid of anything that they come to view as a possesion. Almost to the point of being a hoarder. That can be as bad, or worse than overcompensating for having nothing by going into debt to finance having something.

My Dad grew up with nothing, and he can't get rid of anything either. My Mother grew up with nothing, but if something has no practical value, down the road it goes. I didn't have lots of stuff, but it was ok. My needs were met. I have no problem getting rid of something if it has no practical purpose. Having something " just because I always wanted one, and I can now" doesn't work for me. I can think of many a toy that I wanted in my youth, but I will not go buy one just to have. (I may buy it for my kids, then play with it for a few, but that's different

The fun times I had with a simple cardboard box. We were only limited by our imaginations. That is where I want my kids to be. Now if their imagination didn't always require all of my tape of any sort......
My parents were the same way---at her death---we found over 300 dolls in my Mothers garage--all dressed and sitting on shelves.
She was a child of the depression and her Mother died when she was 9.
Dad was different in life he was totally narcissitic----what ever he wanted.
Their lives were a fight over money.36 years of it.

I try now to give my grown kids treats--Gerber knives to my boys(SIL) included.
Or gift certificates to Academy or Harbor frieght---they love it---will shop it to death buying that ONE thing.

Its sad in away that I was a single Mother and broke--poor really and unable to give them things.
But they knew payday they got a slurppie and M&Ms--It was what they waited it for.
Somehow we are closer than many---they know mama is here and I can call on them for their manyly muscle.

Kinda of a catch 22 huh?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
My parents were the same way---at her death---we found over 300 dolls in my Mothers garage--all dressed and sitting on shelves.
She was a child of the depression and her Mother died when she was 9.
Dad was different in life he was totally narcissitic----what ever he wanted.
Their lives were a fight over money.36 years of it.

I try now to give my grown kids treats--Gerber knives to my boys(SIL) included.
Or gift certificates to Academy or Harbor frieght---they love it---will shop it to death buying that ONE thing.

Its sad in away that I was a single Mother and broke--poor really and unable to give them things.
But they knew payday they got a slurppie and M&Ms--It was what they waited it for.
Somehow we are closer than many---they know mama is here and I can call on them for their manyly muscle.

Kinda of a catch 22 huh?

It can be a catch 22. Were the slurpees and m&ms a treat, or were they expected? I have seen that one go both ways.

My children are "step kids." Don't get me wrong, they are all mine. Due to circumstances in their former life, it does mean that there are things to overcome. I hope that the things they "expect" would be a roof over their head, a full belly, lots of love, along with the occasional discipline, not getting what they want whenever they want. I do enjoy taking them randomly for a treat, something that maybe I should do a bit more often. The time spent alone together is needed all the way around.

I have seen my sisters kids get all of the "latest, greatest" crap, and would never do that to my children. We try to get them things that are useful, as well as some things that they want. They are kids after all. Sometimes they didn't even know that they wanted something, until they recieved it, and wow, it is cool. It wasn't on a tv commercial, but it sure is fun.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:50 PM

No the goodies weren't expected---but it was like a ritual.
It was our time togather.
I worked all the time.

And I always felt guilty because they had so little,but they were far from demanding or greedy kids.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:

I love balance.

Example:

My son, has a smart phone, and it's one of those fancy Iphones!
We chose the Iphone because Apple's customer service is second to none!
This Iphone works like a computer, GPS, flashlight, etc...
It is a pretty neat little tool.
4 years ago, he did not have an Iphone, but when he move to MI to play hockey, I bought a Garmin GPS.
It's a neat little thing that talks to you, tells you where to turn, tells you how fast you are going, etc.....hands free for when you are traveling alone.
Neat gadgets.

Every car in our family has a first aid kit packed in the trunk.
A small hand book on how to treat injuries is included.
A 3 day survival kit. Food, water, etc.
Jumps, tire jacks, spare change / money.
And.....paper maps.
Not only does each car have paper maps, when we go on road trips (2 or more of us) THAT is how we make it place to place.
Paper maps.

So my kids know how to use all the new neat-o gadgets.
And they also know how to use things 'the old fashioned way'.
Balance.

Everything in moderation.
Nothing in the extremes.

Balance has worked amazingly well for us!!

Last edited by Laura; 11-08-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:38 AM

That's all fine and good but when we did not have all these fancy gadgets we got along just fine. Including this damn computer where half my keys only work half the time
Old 11-10-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
That's all fine and good but when we did not have all these fancy gadgets we got along just fine. Including this damn computer where half my keys only work half the time
I was talking to someone the other day: Cell phones? I rememeber being on the road alot with my 3 little boys and NO PHONE!! Had a flat? You fixed it yourself.

I am so spoiled now---I carry mine every where.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:34 PM

The gadgets are just tools. Man is meant to improve , to invent.
The gadgets or tools that were mentioned earlier are just the tools of today.
I could very easily imagine people saying the same thing about the first train or the first car. Or the computer we all are using.

So -- yes--- man is mean to have these " gadgets ".
Old 11-13-2013, 12:35 AM

Agreed to a point, I also believe there is nothing wrong to have the gadgets with one stipulation, If there is a need, fine but to just have them to keep up with the Joneses seems to be the point I was trying to make. I have a cell phone, not a smart phone (I'm not smart enough to work one) and I have a lap top. It's basic and does the job I need it to do. I stay away from gaming because I'm afraid I'll get hooked on them. Tried one once and before I knew it 4 hrs. had gone by, Scary
Old 11-13-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Agreed to a point, I also believe there is nothing wrong to have the gadgets with one stipulation, If there is a need, fine but to just have them to keep up with the Joneses seems to be the point I was trying to make. I have a cell phone, not a smart phone (I'm not smart enough to work one) and I have a lap top. It's basic and does the job I need it to do. I stay away from gaming because I'm afraid I'll get hooked on them. Tried one once and before I knew it 4 hrs. had gone by, Scary
Who are the Jones'?

That's where individuals have to 'mind their own business' and not worry about who's doing what.
I have what I have and I am thankful for it.....and I don't care what anyone else has.

If I got all worked up about how sally down the street is so far in debt because she is trying to 'look like / dress like / mow her lawn like' her neighbors......
I'd be in sad shape.
I don't pay sally's bills, I am not responsible for sally or her choices, and I am not accountable for how sally acts.
So I don't care!!