BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > Philosophy

Philosophy Any non-religious philosophical discussions.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
The gadgets are just tools. Man is meant to improve , to invent.
The gadgets or tools that were mentioned earlier are just the tools of today.
I could very easily imagine people saying the same thing about the first train or the first car. Or the computer we all are using.

So -- yes--- man is mean to have these " gadgets ".
I remember when the thought of computers taking our jobs scared folks to death---it was a 70's news clip---oh everyone was running scared--NOW we depend them for everything just about.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
I remember when the thought of computers taking our jobs scared folks to death---it was a 70's news clip---oh everyone was running scared--NOW we depend them for everything just about.
Anne,
Computer controlled robots are replacing people now. The big manufacturing corporations call it "automation". Been going on for years.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J R Adams View Post
Anne,
Computer controlled robots are replacing people now. The big manufacturing corporations call it "automation". Been going on for years.
The thoughts I have had on automation is:You will never replace the human that makes the automatic gadgets.
You will just have to redirect the human education in how to build them.

We dont move much anymore with out a computer sizing up our lives.
In a way thats scary,just as it was lo' those many years ago.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:54 PM

Anne. have you read the "Threat Vector" by your favorite author. pretty well shows what could happen when the wrong people get inside your computer. I think living to the fullest would be best to develope relationships as apposed to developing playstation/texting thumb.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridbob View Post
Anne. have you read the "Threat Vector" by your favorite author. pretty well shows what could happen when the wrong people get inside your computer. I think living to the fullest would be best to develope relationships as apposed to developing playstation/texting thumb.
Yes I do have it--bought it when it came out.
I feared computers long before I had one.
I remember in 95-96 when the big thing was
Spys watching us through our Tv's.

And my thoughts if the gooberment is watching and listening then they know HOW WE ALL FEEL.

Should be a warning to them,Not us.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:52 PM

My health is bad, and getting worse.

I do not know the future but I have NOW! And, thanks to the gadgets I can drive to town, read, talk on the phone to my family who live in another state, flip a light switch when the days are short and so forth. I have decided that I LOVE! gadgets! Gadgets cook my meals when I cannot build a fire. Gadgets keep the meat frozen after I buy it in the store so I do not have to shop every day...... not that I could walk the 5 miles to the store every day anyways!

Gadgets mean that I am not particularly helpless after all. I never used to care about gadgets but now I seriously do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last month I even bought a kindle............ though smart phones are still too complicated for me!

Last edited by Terri; 02-26-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
My health is bad, and getting worse.

I do not know the future but I have NOW! And, thanks to the gadgets I can drive to town, read, talk on the phone to my family who live in another state, flip a light switch when the days are short and so forth. I have decided that I LOVE! gadgets! Gadgets cook my meals when I cannot build a fire. Gadgets keep the meat frozen after I buy it in the store so I do not have to shop every day...... not that I could walk the 5 miles to the store every day anyways!

Gadgets mean that I am not particularly helpless after all. I never used to care about gadgets but now I seriously do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last month I even bought a kindle............ though smart phones are still too complicated for me!
There is nothing intrinsically wrong with gadgets and it would seem that they can help you live life to the fullest but I guess my point is if you can live without them I believe we are more creative in how we live and in that creativity we feel better about ourselves and we rely more on relationships to supplement our existence. Sometimes I think our reliance on gadgets stops us exercising our brain which causes us to stop moving.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridbob View Post
Sometimes I think our reliance on gadgets stops us exercising our brain which causes us to stop moving.
Oh, it DOES it DOES!

For example, tilling is darned hard for me now. I spent all winter thinking on the matter, and I have a really cool idea how I can have good weed control without tilling for years!

I am going to till the garden twice, with the help of my son who is still at home. I need it tilled fairly deeply once to kill the grass and then, a week later very shallowly to kill any sprouting seeds. THEN I am going to scatter a very generous amount of clover seeds and rake it in to hopefully get a solid stand of Dutch clover.

If things go the way that I would like, the clover will choke out any young weeds. Best of all, clover only grows 8 inches tall.

If I plant tall, healthy vegetable seedlings through the clover, they should get enough light to grow but sprouting weeds will not. And, sweet corn is vigorous enough I do believe to do well. Once the sweet corn has been harvested I figure on running the riding lawn mower over it, and letting the clover take over for the fall. Next spring I should just be able to plant through the clover again.

I would never have taken the problem seriously if I had not had trouble keeping things weeded. As it is, I can hardly wait till spring to try this out! I want bell peppers, and corn, and onions, and peas, and bush beans, and squash, and I will have to think on what else!

I have right now. I MAY have many good years yet, but this is not a guarentee. But, I have right now. I intend to live it to the fullest!

Last edited by Terri; 02-28-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:16 PM

Let me know how the clover works out for you, I guess I would only have one concern and that would be working in your garden with the clover in full bloom and the bees it would attract. And I hope you have a high fence because the deer love clover, it's what I have been planting for my deer plots.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:51 AM

I have the most modern, up to date gadget yet to take care of the deer! I do love gadgets!

I have a dog.

OK, not ALL of the good ideas are new!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:16 AM

I found a gadget I love.
An outside antenna for my TV.
$98.00 at WM.
I pick up up to 57 channels.
I hated the idiot dish/cable.
Way to expensive.

I can move it around at my leisure.
Easy to mount/hang or free standing.