BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance

Self-reliance Self-reliance topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:58 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Of significance is that most septic systems encourage the use of an additive (bacterial digestion product) which improves the overall "health of the system" and it is simply "flushed down your toilet" to get it into the septic tank.
That stuff is really a waste of money.
Everything that NEEDS to be in a septic tank goes in through natural use
I've known many who never used any additives and never had problems
Old 05-01-2014, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vman View Post
Mine, and BWM's are permanent. Been usin' mine for at least 15 yrs. Just can't be shy to carry a bucket full of "Stuff" outside every week or so. My system works great! (Note the camo seat!)

Two things to remember, The vent you have on your box is a must. I have one similar too yours 12volt and a similar vent, And when your carrying your bucket, don't trip in the living room.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

" And when your carrying your bucket, don't trip in the living room."

I allow the wife to do the carryin'. Can't blame me if it happens..

I have a 12 volt computer fan mounted inside of the floor boot, just below the flexible drier vent. It runs 24/7. It has constant flow to the outside and I never get any nasties inside.
*Robert Frost*
Old 07-31-2014, 06:46 PM

After reading the book we decided to give one a test, and have been using one as an extra for a month now. We have been convinced that we will be going this route in the new house.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:57 PM

Happy to say my wife is as on board as I am.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61comet/14328910693/
Old 07-31-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiebo View Post
Happy to say my wife is as on board as I am.
Did you put the sawdust container where the tank normally would be?

I love it. Keeps the basic shape we've all come to know and love.

My biggest problem with the sawdust toilet is no flush. We're only at our rural place on weekends and vacations. Without the flush, I always have the feeling I forgot something. Takes about a week for me to get used to it, then when I get back home, I have to remind myself to flush again.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisser View Post
Did you put the sawdust container where the tank normally would be?

I love it. Keeps the basic shape we've all come to know and love.

My biggest problem with the sawdust toilet is no flush. We're only at our rural place on weekends and vacations. Without the flush, I always have the feeling I forgot something. Takes about a week for me to get used to it, then when I get back home, I have to remind myself to flush again.

We spend a little time in the Caribbean and fresh water is scarce, as in $$$, there. Everyone or at least most follow the "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down", so we go to a friends house here we have to remember to flush.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiebo View Post
We recently got the book, and are thinking about using them in our new build in the country. Pros, and Cons please. We are almost sold on the idea, but would like to hear experiences on using these inside for permanent use.
OUrs has been in use for more than ten years. I made ours fancy with a cute painting on the front, to get grandson's mind off of it, who was three at the time. It fits into a niche made for it and I think it looks nice. I am so thankful to have this set up. We are having drought conditions, last thing I need is wasting good water flushing down the toilet. Nope, this is great, plus taking navy showers now out on the porch. We are greener than green. were so before they came up with the idea.
I would go that route again.
You were worried about your wife, well I am a woman. Of course ours is not as technically advanced as 12v.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:58 PM

We made the sawdust compartment large enough to hold a small trashcan instead of putting the sawdust directly in the wood compartment. Just lift out the trash can and take it outside to the sawdust, and replace it in the compartment. NO MESS!!!!!! I use different kinds of sawdust. Depending on what kind of wood I am sawing on my sawmill at the time.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61comet/14825554493/
We are sold on this idea. No smell at all. No mess either.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61comet/14122095610/
Old 08-02-2014, 08:46 PM

Default 1 cup toilet

Was at a physic's teacher conference. Met a guy that goes to Arica. They have designed a toilet that works on 1 cup of water, which they get from washing hands.

The system goes into a hole/tank (not sure on the details). After a year it is compost to use in the garden. They are working on filtering the 1 cup for reuse.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Master Pontificator

Does it make a difference if the sawdust is fresh or from certain types of woods ex cedar or pine vs hardwoods?
Old 08-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

I use small animal bedding. (Pine) The fine stuff. A bag lasts for almost a year and costs ~$5-$7 bucks.
*Robert Frost*
Old 08-18-2014, 12:36 AM

If some of you folks were closer, I'd get you all the sawdust you needed.

I get sawdust from a pallet maker. All the sawdust comes from kiln dried 2x4s and 2x6s they turn into 1x4s and 1x6s. The vacuum on the saw puts the sawdust into 55 gallon metal barrels, so it's all nice and clean with no slivers or chunks.

I usually pick up 5 barrels a week, sometimes more, and my daughter uses it for bedding in her horse stalls.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:02 AM

Never thought of that hunter88
I have a maker near me. http://woodfordlogistics.com/
Old 08-19-2014, 11:41 AM

Now sure if wet or dry wood makes a difference for the toilet. I know some pallet makers around here used cottonwood, and it was green so lots of moisture in the wood. My guy used it for a little while a few years back and I told him if it was all going to be like that I didn't want it because it was too wet for bedding in horse stalls.Fortunately he went back to all new kiln dried lumber. Other nice part kiln dried sawdust smelled a lot better then damp cottonwood sawdust.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:10 PM
Master Pontificator

Just two cent note from a master wood carver.... sawdust from green wood does not absorb much water. Sawdust from dried wood absorb water and is ready for composting as much as a year sooner.... it seems with the manure (which has fluids) and sawdust...you would consider dry wood vs green wood for this reason. Both woods would work as far as covering smells and the end results. Also soft woods such as pines and etc... absorb a lot more water then hard woods, and break down much faster. As far as composting there is major time difference between hard wood and soft woods

Beware: of sawdust made from treated lumber,....breathing it and using it as compost is a major no, no. Also....the exotic woods and other woods that are poisonous...would not be used mainly because of the handling with children and you would not want to compost it for various reasons.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:39 PM

I know this is an old thread, but we may have another opportunity to move to our place permanently, and I've been thinking of how I'd build my sawdust outhouse v2.0

The biggest problem with the current one is it's kinda messy to get the sawdust out of the bin and into the hole.

Was thinking of replacing the 5 gallon bucket with something larger (30 gallon drum? 7 gallon bucket? Something else?) and maybe coming up with some sort of sawdust depositing system in between the seat and the bucket. Thinking something along the lines of a paddle and chute that would be mostly concealed, paddle would scrape some sawdust off the bottom of the container and sweep it through the chute into the hole. Haven't worked out all the details in my brain yet. I'd like to increase the holding capacity so I didn't have to empty it as frequently, and also make it a bit more polished in terms of operation.

Would probably make it so you accessed the bin from the backside of the wall rather than walking it through the house.

Curious if anyone's tried to build something more involved than the average bucket in a box.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:46 PM

I read somewhere that human waste, or any poop for that matter, gives off methane gas,( which is highly volatile) If you could figure out a way to put it in pressurized vessel, and hook it up to some sort of carburator; maybe it could be used instead of gasoline?
Old 02-05-2015, 01:06 AM

Ah....thanks, all!

Just wondering though...no one has commented on the toilets I see in country living magazines that aren't buckets with boards...

I did find Styrofoam is great for toilet seats for out buildings in colder climates.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
Ah....thanks, all!

Just wondering though...no one has commented on the toilets I see in country living magazines that aren't buckets with boards...

I did find Styrofoam is great for toilet seats for out buildings in colder climates.
I'm embarrassed to say that I spent near $1200 bucks on a fixture that didn't work and then gave it away! Those commercial units are for weekend warriors, not full timers..
*Robert Frost*