BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 11-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default question to the experts

Maybe ten years or so ago, I read that in switzerland they had invented a solar energy foil that you could roll out on your roof like wall paper. They claimed in five years or so it would be ready for the market.
Okay, I had time, we'll wait. Then a few years ago, we were retired already and living on the farm, I read that they were doing a big test run, I think on a factory, near Berlin in Germany.
I got all exited, but have not seen hide or hair of anything like it anymore. I am trying to look in the internet about more info and can't find a thing.

There have been inventions before that would have been very useful that just fell into a black hole and were never heard from again, I hope this is not the case. I remember reading with this foil you could wrap a car, can't remember what for, I do not know stuff like that. I would rather bake bread. So anybody know what is up?
Old 11-10-2013, 11:55 AM

I remember that bit of news. Like most things of this nature I imagine practicality reared its head, investors, if any, shied away, etc. Or it could have been just a lot of noise to con some money. I put things like this in the 100 Miles Per Gallon carburetor category. Nice pipe dream, but never happened.
Bake bread-better use of your energies!
Old 11-10-2013, 05:28 PM

Those articles about new inventions or new medical advancements are usually filled with words like "might" or "could", or my favorite: "if it works, then potentially......"

Most don't pan out, but getting the article out there gets them funding.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Master Pontificator

Really now, haven't you ever heard "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't"?

Part of this is just hype to bring in investment dollars, or Euros. Part of this is simple naiveté. Just last week there was a guy on another forum talking about using his 90 watt Harbor Freight panels to power an electric stove. Really!

I think part of it is just the psycology of people having to give up their comfortable middle-class existence. They can't face the idea of not having abundant energy at their fingertips, so they fall for this stuff.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:55 AM

Most of those roll out panels just did not hold up well enough or were too expensive. Ones that were OK the big power company's bought out. You can still get stuff like that hear in the states but make sure you have deep pockets
Old 12-19-2014, 10:52 AM

Those probably got "Black Shelved" which means someone bought the patents then put it in a vault never to see daylight again

There are litterally thousands of free energy or low cost devices that are black shelved all the time! You have to be tied to the grid you know. Slaves are not allowed to have uncontrollable technology.

Just like solar pannels. You can screen print a solar pannel! They should be stacked up in Walmart for $15.95 a piece. This nonsense of "super pure silicone" is just that, nonsense! Billions of microprocessors ICs, and transistors are working with out it. I can grind down a 3055 transistor, short base to collector and get a few milivolts of solar conversion out of it. They be lying!

If you want to get real mad, look up Passamaquoddy tidal energy project. Kennedy was raming it through. 4 days after he was killed, Johnson killed the project. Why? Well this was clean energy and was estimated that it could satisfy all energy needs in 10 years! An estimated 100 times more than all fossil fuels put together. This was no "pie in the sky", this was the real deal! You can't let slaves have free or extremely cheap energy, it just isn't done! They have been sitting on this since 1959!!!!! Isn't that special?

You see they don't need free energy machines, or wind or solar. They never did. That is just a diversion.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

I have some Unisolar panels (Thin Film Technology) that you can't buy anymore. They work as good as new, and are ~15 yrs. old!..

Gotta wonder why they ain't sold anymore.. Probably too good..

I believe they were only on the market for 4-5-yrs. You could shoot a bullet through them and they would keep on working. (No Glass, Stainless Steel Backing) Much like the roll on stuff with an aluminum frame around them..

http://www.amazon.com/Unisolar-Flexi...on+solar+panel

If that product works as good as the ones I have, I'd invest in 'um..
*Robert Frost*
Old 12-22-2014, 08:53 AM

Efficiency of thin film tech is only ~9% http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_fi...l#Efficiencies compared to ~15%+ for conventional cells.

"solar paint" efficiency only ~1%

Re: Passaquomoddy project: it involved generating juice from tidal flow just off shore. Many such projects exist today. Poor efficiency. Hi maintenance costs. Environmental impacts. Lousy idea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_p..._power_schemes

BTW- my grandfather was a truck driver and liked to tell whoppers, so back in the late 50s, we didn't put much stock in his stories of how they put an experimental carburetor that burned water on his truck and it got 100 mpg but the oil companies bought the patent and won't produce it.

Fast forward to the 70s when I became a gear head & found out: you can easily take a small container of water with a nipple & plastic tube on it and run the tube into the carb throat. Venturi effect will suck a fine spray of water into the air/gas mix and you will get mileage improvements approaching 100mpg...of course the water dilutes your oil, screws up lubrication and you won't be able to go more than a few hundred miles before your engine fries....Oh well...All engineering solutions involve trade-offs.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:07 AM

Doc, Your spending too much time on Wikipedia Take another look at tidal power, especially the new stuff Siemens is developing. Cheap, low impact, very reliable! Even the French project finished in 1967 which is 1/4 the size of Passamaquoddy is still producing enough power for 3 million homes!

There is no use even to discuss enviromental damage as it is very low. Since Fukishima blew the damage is too great even to count! There has not been even one surviving killer whale calf in 3 years. They will go extinct very soon. dozens to hundreds of species are going out as a result of our land based power schemes!

Passamaquoddy should be powering 12 million homes right now instead of leaky nuclear or coal plants. The new stuff from Siemens and others could power the entire planet in 5 years! Someone doesn't want that to happen, period!

The new stuff is just underwater windmills. They can run 20 hours a day and so predictable you can set your watch by them. Water is 800 times heavier than air and can produce many times the energy!
Old 12-22-2014, 12:48 PM

Wind, solar and tidal power are just barely viable alternatives to fossil fuel as energy sources, and that only because obscenely generous govt subsidies keep them in the game.

Nuclear energy has been in use world wide for 65 yrs now and we have had only two episodes of damage: one in Japan (natural disaster with far more damage caused by the non-nuclear component) and the one in Russia (which was the result of a really stupid human action- not an accident. The environment there, BTW has completely recovered in these past 20 yrs. The TreeHuggers don't publicize that much.)

The poorly thought out energy plans in GB, France and Germany which have caused the closing of nuclear & fossil fuel plants have been dismal failures, forcing energy costs up 3 fold. All three govts are in danger of losing their next elections. Similar green policies already caused a change in govt in Australia last year.

Fantasies make for pleasant dreams and night-marish realities.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:21 AM

President Johnson's wife, and I may be wrong here in my memory, she was a member of the family that owned a big oil company called brown and root, that same company is now called Halliburton. Kennedy did a number of things that got the Illuminati mad at him,that's why he got killed, he created dollars that were actual US currency and not IOU notes from the Federal Reserve for one.
what mitch has referred to is another
Old 12-26-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
There has not been even one surviving killer whale calf in 3 years.
I'd like to see your source for that one, along with at least one MORE source that confirms it, because I suspect your source will be akin to Alex Jones in it's credibility.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
President Johnson's wife, and I may be wrong here in my memory, she was a member of the family that owned a big oil company called brown and root, that same company is now called Halliburton.
Yeah, pretty much all of that is wrong
It pays to look things up :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KBR_(company)

Quote:
KBR, Inc. (formerly Kellogg Brown & Root) is an American engineering, procurement, and construction company, formerly a subsidiary of Halliburton, headquartered in Houston. The company also has large offices in Arlington, Virginia, Birmingham, Alabama, and Newark, Delaware, in the United States and Leatherhead in the UK.

After Halliburton acquired Dresser Industries in 1998, Dresser's engineering subsidiary, The M. W. Kellogg Co., was merged with Halliburton's construction subsidiary, Brown & Root, to form Kellogg Brown & Root.

KBR and its predecessors have received many contracts with the U.S. military including during World War II, the Vietnam War, and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
I'd like to see your source for that one, along with at least one MORE source that confirms it, because I suspect your source will be akin to Alex Jones in it's credibility.
From what I've read, there's a pod of Killers that have recently been living off the west coat of GB and their numbers have been dwindling. Populations of living things in boundary-less areas, like The Ocean, often wax, wan and disappear. It certainly has nothing to do with a little nuclear spill three yrs ago and half way around the world.