BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance

Self-reliance Self-reliance topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:53 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Preppers outnumbered 100 to 1?

I'm beginning to see a number floating around: Somebody -- I don't know the source of the data -- but somebody is saying that there are about 3 million identified preppers in the U.S.

That means that we're fewer than 1% of the population.

What might this bit of data mean to those of us who are thinking ahead?

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:16 AM

That many preppers? Oh, I doubt it!

I do not talk about preps where I live. I do not care to be laughed at, and there is no point in them knowing. People know I have a garden, and that is enough!

Nobody else has a garden this year where I live, though Liz usually has one. There was sickness in her household though, and she might not have had time to mess with one.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
I'm beginning to see a number floating around: Somebody -- I don't know the source of the data -- but somebody is saying that there are about 3 million identified preppers in the U.S.

That means that we're fewer than 1% of the population.

What might this bit of data mean to those of us who are thinking ahead?
That means there won't be enough food to go around! I'm sure there are people prepping who are not identified though.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:38 AM

And... how many hunters are there? And... how many of those hunters prep, have survival equipment and food put back... but don't consider themselves a prepper?

I think the number is WAY low. Because we lived this lifestyle from the 50s-60s onwards... that is just what you did: no matter what kind of job you got... you still had a garden, you still had supplies for when a storm knocked out power, you always had enough food to make dinner for 12, if they all showed up at your house hungry...

The basics of this lifestyle - and the reasons for it - are way older than the current marketing trend and data would suggest, and therefore I think more widespread than they can estimate. People who do this all their lives, don't think of themselves like the kooks on NatGeo. (And most of their neighbors probably live the same way, too...)

Some people have always lived "prudently". With an amount set back for a "rainy day"... and some people don't. Depending on lots of things - the numbers swell in one direction or another, over time.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:51 AM

I agree. All our neighbors who are able have gardens and put up food. They all prepare for power outages and bad weather by having food, alternate heat sources, etc. Most of them heat with wood as their primary heat source anyway. It's just the way we all grew up and we all raised out kids the same way. I think most of them have generators too. We all know each other and know that we can rely on each other when necessary.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:00 AM

I think the number of people getting prepared for "something", even if they are not quire sure what that "something" is, might be growing.

I have always canned and kept a very well supplied pantry, and there have been about 3 occasions over the past 20 some odd years when we consumed the contents of our pantry down to almost empty, which was an uncomfortable place for us to be, but thank God it was there!

A longtime family friend called the other day, and sais his wife is wanting to put some food back because of the way the country is headed. She wants to buy those 5 gallon buckets of the freeze dried meals, and he thinks thats too pricey.

He has seen my pantry before, and knows very well how thrifty I am, so he's asking where I shop, how much some things cost, etc. He wants to spend $1,000.00 and get the biggest bang for his buck. So long story short we are going to go together one day next week and get them started. Wow! I've NEVER had a budget like that to work with, but they will need everything I'm guessing, the eat out for most meals, so I think there may not be much in their cupboards.

This should be interesting, I find that I am rather looking forward to this.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:10 AM

Mom, they have some savings that isn't earning any interest to speak of. So, they're "converting" worthless paper money into something they'll definitely need and use before it starts to cost even MORE later on... so yes, I think they're catching on!

Must feel good to know that long-time friends are finally, putting it all together? I have an old, old friend that I bought a book for last Christmas. It was stories about homesteading - the realities and the simple joys. When I saw her over the summer, she let me know that this "guess" was dead-on, and she's starting to change her mind about some things... and she's in a great place to get started, too. Where our grandmothers and great-grandparents lived exactly the same lifestyle.

You betcha we need to find time to help them... get them going without wasting money on silly gear and stuff that's not worth the price on the tag...!!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom5farmboys View Post
I think the number of people getting prepared for "something", even if they are not quire sure what that "something" is, might be growing.

I have always canned and kept a very well supplied pantry, and there have been about 3 occasions over the past 20 some odd years when we consumed the contents of our pantry down to almost empty, which was an uncomfortable place for us to be, but thank God it was there!

A longtime family friend called the other day, and sais his wife is wanting to put some food back because of the way the country is headed. She wants to buy those 5 gallon buckets of the freeze dried meals, and he thinks thats too pricey.

He has seen my pantry before, and knows very well how thrifty I am, so he's asking where I shop, how much some things cost, etc. He wants to spend $1,000.00 and get the biggest bang for his buck. So long story short we are going to go together one day next week and get them started. Wow! I've NEVER had a budget like that to work with, but they will need everything I'm guessing, the eat out for most meals, so I think there may not be much in their cupboards.

You bring up a point.
Most think that being prepped is McD's being open 24/7.
There are folks in my area that have been sticking things back a little at a time.

And Since before Y2K its been a growing way of life--NOW if the idiots dont see fit to provide for their own--So be it.
You'd have to be in a cave on a mountain not to know that its a must do.

And I wonder 1%? What if it reaches 3%?
Old 11-18-2013, 05:32 PM

I have no problem thinking there are 3 mil people prepping. The LDS people, most of them prep. I am in a small area and I have a list of 840 people that "prep" And that is out of a population area of approx 10k. And probably many more I have not met yet.
We have a group in a grange just north of me and they have over 500 members in that prepping group.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Let us know how it went. I sure am curious.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moolah View Post
I have no problem thinking there are 3 mil people prepping. The LDS people, most of them prep. I am in a small area and I have a list of 840 people that "prep" And that is out of a population area of approx 10k. And probably many more I have not met yet.
We have a group in a grange just north of me and they have over 500 members in that prepping group.
i agree MOOLAH, there are lots of people that just live everyday, where they store and are frugal with stuff. it has been my lifestyle for years. i really don't think of myself as a "preper". but there are a lot of people (those that voted for Soetoro), that has no clue about stocking up. i was hoping the hurricane they had recently would have woke them up

Quote:

it is good of you MOMS to help them, but lets hope that they know that this is just a start. i hope they don't think "oh we'll spend a 1000$ dollars and that will be it, we are ready". maybe this will get them started in thinking what they will have to do
Old 11-18-2013, 10:37 PM

That data means you had better have the means to protect whats yours because the non prepper's are going to want what you have
Old 11-18-2013, 10:52 PM

I will be sure to report back after the shopping trip, I am really hoping they follow through with it.

When we talked on the phone he mentioned his wife really wanted a 2 year supply of food, and it sounded like she wanted it all in those freeze dried food buckets, which I am guessing would cost a lot more than $1,000.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:31 AM

I think WHI nailed it with "prudent living." Just because some choose to live simpler, but not always easier, doesn't make us "Preppers."

It is a lifestyle that one sometimes chooses, and it WILL not be for everyone, anymore than living in a high rise in a major city will work either.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:47 AM

What qualifies you as "a prepper?" Is one extra bottle of water in the pantry enough or do you need to have a 3000sq ft bomb shelter to qualify?

And what are you prepping for? Having just enough to get you thru three days with no electricity after a bad storm or enough to stay alive indefinitely after the whole social/economic system collapses?

In the latter case, you'd need enough saved up for a finite time, but then an ability to keep on procuring resources, and, as pointed out above, a way to defend it.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the_twiligh...ne-the-shelter
Old 11-20-2013, 12:11 AM

after 14 - 30 days past the event this isn't a problem.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:32 AM

Hey Folks been a few days... well ok months. After reading the posts, I would honestly say that I think the percentages are way off. The reason I say this is because more preppers or self reliance people just don't advertise.

There are alot of people who just simply exist in the "outside" world. They don't say anything about putting stuff back, or guns or simply anything. They go to work do what they have to do, be polite and friendly and say absolutely nothing about what they do on their off time.
So I would say that there is more like 8 people per 100. No it's not great not by any means nor is it scientific but when you look at the fact that more and more mason jars are moving off the shelf I think people are just shutting up and doing. Not bragging and trying to be on tv. Just my penny's worth.

Take care Be safe Poacher.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:33 AM

Quote:
I will be sure to report back after the shopping trip, I am really hoping they follow through with it.

When we talked on the phone he mentioned his wife really wanted a 2 year supply of food, and it sounded like she wanted it all in those freeze dried food buckets, which I am guessing would cost a lot more than $1,000.
Infrastructure vs Supply!

I think you mentioned they eat out a lot, which probably means they don't have the basic skills for food preservation?

If I was giving them advice, I would suggest buying a good size pressure canner, jars, lids, and accessories. If they have any gardening space, follow up with the canning stuff with gardening tools, seeds, etc..

That's probably half that budget, so maybe I would suggest purchasing foodstuffs and developing their canning skills.

What a great opportunity for someone to do some planning and shopping!
Old 11-20-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
Infrastructure vs Supply!

I think you mentioned they eat out a lot, which probably means they don't have the basic skills for food preservation?

If I was giving them advice, I would suggest buying a good size pressure canner, jars, lids, and accessories. If they have any gardening space, follow up with the canning stuff with gardening tools, seeds, etc..

That's probably half that budget, so maybe I would suggest purchasing foodstuffs and developing their canning skills.

What a great opportunity for someone to do some planning and shopping!
They both know how to can and garden, they had all the canning stuff years ago but got rid of it because they just didnt do it. They can cook very well when they choose to, however I think they mostly like to eat out.

Like I mentioned she wants to buy the freeze dried stuff and to be done with it, and he thinks they can do it a little more efficiently by buying in bulk, and getting canned goods. Honestly I believe that if they had to garden and can to stock up, it just wouldnt happen.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:26 PM

Mom, your friends' attitude about gardening and canning, is kind of a clue about those who don't prep. I'll bet they eat out a lot, because their schedules are jam packed with work, kids activities, and social obligations. I have relatives like this. They're always saying they wish they had time for _______, or they literally forget to do _______... and so any additional task that involves time and attention, just is more than they physically can do.

What they don't understand, is that all that activity is a choice. Its like "keeping up with the jones" has started to include everything people are involved in... and they may not value all that busy-busy so much, in 20 years you know? They could be practicing skills and saving money instead.

So now that they want to put some food back, its easier to spend the money and have that just in case, than it is to seriously look at their situation, make a plan, and look at sustainability. I'm not judging; that's just what their choice looks to be, to me. I'm going bet there are a whole LOT more people than show up in those surveys and studies who do this, but dont consider themselves one of those "crazy preppers" - LOL!!!