BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance

Self-reliance Self-reliance topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

maybe the counting discrepancy is because there is a difference in self sufficiency and prepping.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehairedidiot View Post
Mom, your friends' attitude about gardening and canning, is kind of a clue about those who don't prep. I'll bet they eat out a lot, because their schedules are jam packed with work, kids activities, and social obligations. I have relatives like this. They're always saying they wish they had time for _______, or they literally forget to do _______... and so any additional task that involves time and attention, just is more than they physically can do.

What they don't understand, is that all that activity is a choice. Its like "keeping up with the jones" has started to include everything people are involved in... and they may not value all that busy-busy so much, in 20 years you know? They could be practicing skills and saving money instead.

So now that they want to put some food back, its easier to spend the money and have that just in case, than it is to seriously look at their situation, make a plan, and look at sustainability. I'm not judging; that's just what their choice looks to be, to me. I'm going bet there are a whole LOT more people than show up in those surveys and studies who do this, but dont consider themselves one of those "crazy preppers" - LOL!!!
You are a very perceptive person! I'd say thats pretty close to a dead on description of whats going on.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom5farmboys View Post
You are a very perceptive person! I'd say thats pretty close to a dead on description of whats going on.
I think 'tis better to teach a man to fish than to show him what supplies to buy that he likely won't have time to hone any skills...

prepping just a little bit is great, self-reliance on any scale is better than not at all. Too much all at once can be overwhelming, we all know that.

It's hard to imagine the lifestyle from the perspective of someone that does believe that a trip to the mall for supplies will help them in the long run.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:37 PM

I don't care how busy people are, they still go to the store, and if you are in the store it doe snot take anymore time to buy ten cans than it does to buy two. That goes for everything you buy. Then comes the problem of keeping that stuff at home, shelves, etc..
Old 11-21-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehairedidiot View Post

So now that they want to put some food back, its easier to spend the money and have that just in case, than it is to seriously look at their situation, make a plan, and look at sustainability.
Much to my surprise, it is cheaper to have cans of chili and beef in gravy an so forth than it is to eat out a couple or three times a month. Somehow it is easier to see the cash leaving your hand now than it is to see the cash staying in your pocket later.

I strongly prefer my meat fresh and grilled, but sometimes stew is nice also. And, DH says the canned beef makes a wonderful beef and vegetable soup. So, if I am too busy to cook or feeling poorly I just dump things in a pot and turn it on, and that is much and cheaper and easier than McDonalds! It does take thought when shopping, though.

That reminds, me, I am out of cans of mixed vegetables. I should do something about that.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:56 PM

LOL... I live in a tourist vacation zone. so of course, lots of fresh local seafood, right? except that's seldom what I order if we're out for lunch. the food is way too rich (and portion sizes to make at least 2 meals). I eat a lot of soup lately, at home, and our quicky dinner lately are grilled deli meat and cheese sandwiches. Our favorite tavern makes a great pizza.

The only time I get my money's worth at a buffet, is when they have fresh crab legs...

But, as for the neighbors - everyone has to start somewhere. The expensive quick fix to "food security" will get a second look, when it occurs to them we might be looking at a more permanent "fundamental change". I hope they kept their canning jars! I've had trips when the store was out of most sizes, and I had to try in a week or so.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:05 AM

food is something no one can live very long without and water even more-so. For one to think that everything will always be ok is>>>> well lets just say right up there with stupid. At the very least 3 months of water and food. More preferably. More natural disaster are becoming the norm Can you imagine when the big quake hits California and runs up the coast to alaska.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:18 PM

Damn computer..... I had a whole bunch of wisdom down and it got eaten....

will try again... From what is said there are 3 mil "known" preppers.... Thing that bothers me is somewhere there is some agency that is resurching and documenting that..... KnowwhatImean......

Like said since before Y2K there have been people who have been thinking ahead and acting on those thoughts....

I'm sure there are preppers in all stages of the very broad definition preparing covers.... And there will be those who are totally unprepared, those who are the type who, when they get around to something, just throw a bunch of money at it and think it will be all taken care of....

And those who will be completely out of balance.... One case of water and beans and franks with 100,000 rounds of ammo isn't a balanced lifestyle....

Within the definition of prepping, "balance" to me means including including many things yard sticks to measure this with....

Some of those being
Money
Space
Age, ability

And a whole lot more that will be different for you than me....
===
But back to the beginning.......
The most disturbing thing to me is who/why/what are they going to do with the info they have gathered to determine there are 3 mil "known" preppers...????

(Keep your hands in site, and come with us, OK boys back the truck up)
(it has been done before)
Old 11-27-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
The most disturbing thing to me is who/why/what are they going to do with the info they have gathered to determine there are 3 mil "known" preppers...????
I haven't been about to source the 3million number, other than National Geographic TV. I'm not sure how big of an audience would qualify for TV show attention but it seems to me that the number of "prepper" themed shows available would indicate that there may be a far greater interests than just 1% of our population.

As Wyobuckaroo and others note: The definition of "prepper" is ambiguous. Does it mean self sustenance for a week, a month, a year? Are people who live "off grid" counted as preppers?

I'm loving the responses to this thread.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:00 PM

I don't consider myself a prepper, either. I dblieve I should be able to care for myself in any situation, but I don't necessarily expect a catastrophe to take place. There's a chance greater than zero, so I consider it in my life, but to say I prepare for it or whatever..I don't. I do expect a further reduction in our standard of living as I get older and since I like to eat well, I make sure I'm able to live in the style I've become accustomed to..fortunately, that's a rather simple style.

If the numbers came from Nat Geo, they're probably projections based on market research and may or may not be underestimating.

The recession a few years ago was a wake up call for a few people..but we forget soon enough. The prepper shows get people thinking. The ready.gov stuff gets people thinking. Thinking people make small steps towards being more prepared for emergencies. Its a good thing.

Another thing that contributes to our growing self-sufficiency in our country is a bit of a return to the old ways..mostly for health reasons. People are exercising more than they used to, eating fresher food and producing and making their own food from scratch to avoid the stuff in processed food. Eating local programs and farmers markets also help.

As far as your friends..good for them, whatever they choose to do. They don't need to change their lives if they're happy, but its good that they're thinking of a plan B, just incase.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Master Pontificator

I am not a prepper. I am a realist, I know bad things happen to people all over the world....unless you want to be classed in the frozen denial stage forever until you die....I believe you should have means and knowledge based on history and other information to know how to make it no matter what happens. That means.... you care about yourself and family. Most people do not care and swear on stack of bibles ten feet tall nothing bad will never happen to them. I can not judge them as I was there at one time also. I had my daughter boy friend over, they were going to get married. He laughed at me when I told I had, what I call my tsunami bag... in place. I did not say anything more....next thing he knows ....he looses his job, no means to make it.... he goes into deep depression and become suicidal. Marriage never happens daughter runs the other way. But if he would have stored some food, some water and some money this disaster would never happened.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:45 PM

At least your daughter had the since to run the other way, smart girl.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:33 PM

Computer is down.Am trying to keep up on this phone
And it brings to mind how quickly communications can go down.

Just reworked my water.
Canned goods looking good.
Since I am a meat eater that's the direction I am headed.

I don't like the word prepper.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
"crazy preppers" - LOL!!!
Preppers and even some survivalist got a bad name....it is an association with military gun loading activist who are going to kill zombies. It got so crazy that even home land security decided that these people where a national terrorist cell with a noted possible future of massive violence. You can buy survival books that sing this song. It was a bad and really stupid way to say .... hey look at me I have a whole war here and its ready to go !!!! All these big mouth people did was painted a big red bulls eye on their clothes. There are many law enforcement agencies consider that if these people are mentally ill or soon to be..., for example: with depression or on drugs (I think it is 79 percent),... they will go into schools and kill our kids or etc. An as you noted on our news,... they are trying to prove it without a reasonable doubt.

Instead of having an emergency kit for a fire in your house, or food in case you have a killer winter that you can not leave. Or like me....extra food in case of anything out of the ordinary, ...including a husband that walked out because I am crippled and pain....that food saved my ass from starving.

Today,... it is super possible to loose your job,.....just like the rich manager down the mountain, prime job ....he is loosing everything including his house because he can not pay for the loans. Soon he will be getting food stamps. He was not looking at the big picture, because he believed he had it made.

Crime is major hitting the ceiling all across the US....but it is sure not in the newspapers.....you need something to protect yourself...because in most areas that law enforcement will not help you, until after you have been attacked. That in my book is way too late....
Old 06-10-2014, 08:35 PM

Where did the term 'prepper' come from anyway? Isn't it just wise to be prepared for...whatever? You can beans in summer because winter WILL come. Way back in the dark ages of my youth people who grew gardens, raised livestock, etc. were called 'back to the landers'. I wasn't good at it, but I liked the idea of being less dependent on 'the system'.

Now with our shaky political climate and rumors of the grid going down, rain barrels sound like a good idea. Does that make me a prepper or just a veteran of normal summer power outages?

But I am curious...what is the government profile of a 'prepper'?
Old 06-11-2014, 12:55 AM

I guess one could say that investing wisely and saving is " prepping" for retirement.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:12 PM

preppers and off gridders make up a lot less than 1% in the UK, where 99.%+ of the population are sheeple.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:00 PM

The Boy Scout motto is "Be Prepared".
The question: How can you control someone who is prepared and has common sense?
The answer is: You can't.
The goal is: Make them all dependent and unable to think for themselves.
Remember: big brother is watching.
Perception is reality.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:27 AM

All I know is that I've been doing disaster relief work since Katrina, and still today the sheer number of people that will go hungry in 24 hours is off the charts. These people honestly believe there is a system to take care of them if all else fails. They just simply have no idea. And some of them, some of them already get ugly and demand assistance when they really don't need it. It's crazy. And scary. These are the ones that will kill for food. And they are great in number. Horribly great in number.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Master Pontificator

I strongly suspect the numbers are just a guess at best. Many here have already said or hinted at the fact many people don't consider themselves preppers, but in reality probably are.

It is not a question of what we consider ourselves to be, call ourselves, or how we are referenced by others-----It is what we do. And other than with a few close, like minded friends the subject of preparation is rarely ever mentioned or approached in conversation.

Regardless of the reason: tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, flooding, loss of job, winter storm, power outages, etc., etc being able to continue on ones own without assistance is the basis behind this mindset.

We grew up in a rural setting and back then everyone had a garden, canned their own garden produce, later it became more frozen food storage and today fewer and fewer people seem to do either one. Many moved to the cities or urban areas for a better standard of living, which may be questionable overall, but that is the answer the majority will provide.

Today I doubt there is nearly as many well stocked pantries or food closets as there was back then, but people seem to have a revival of interests in the self sufficency/prepper/survivalist lifestyle which is good. Many lack the knowledge, but are willing to learn. Others lack the equipment but are willing to invest their time & money to acquire the equipment. Still others have no recourse but to purchase freeze dried foods and/or commercially prepared products, which is still a positive measure. Last but not least by any means, some when facing the bill for making provisions for the future, even on the installment plan of a little extra each month will ultimate refuse and cease with any preparations.

I for one certainly subscribe to the mindset, but have never felt comfortable with the various titles ascribed to the mindset. As was mentioned by another poster, the Boy Scouts motto best describes the situation for me: "Be Prepared!"

Being prepared means having a spare tire should I experience a flat, having an umbrella in case of rain, or a couple "C-Notes" tucked away in the billfold in case of a minor emergence. These are illustration of small problems which can arise. Another philosophy which I try to live by and believe has served me well over the years, "Is take care of the small problems, and the big ones will take care of themselves." Maybe not exactly as it is written, but I believe most will recognize & understand what I am saying. For those, that do not understand the last axiom, I really don't have enough time to explain it to you.

I am not sure there has ever been a time when we have not attempted to be self-sufficient/prepared/prepped/etc., but there has been a greater concerted effort in the past dozen years or possibly a little longer.

Regardless of numbers, right or wrong, I certainly hope to be under the radar of whoever calculated the numbers.