BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 12-18-2013, 08:59 PM

Default Will stockpiling of lead be next?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/18...to-green-ammo/

I've been reading about this of late. I will admit I have ordered some lead recently from rotometals to insure that I can cast my own muzzleloader ammunition for some time to come. I didnt' do it out of fear but I now think I've made a wise choice considering that others will most likely start hoarding lead if the supply dries up. Seems to me to be the back door gun control scenario. Can't ban the gun so lets get rid of the ammo by driving the price up so high nobody can afford it. .
Old 12-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I can see that coming. Evil doers will stop at nothing within the law or otherwise.

With the price of scrap metal up, the economy as bad as it is and the push for recycling of all kinds, there will be a shortage of that "free" junk laying around.

The price of finished materials and the price of raw materials will rise.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:30 PM

Agree 100%. I paid about $2.25 a lb for the pig of lead I ordered recently. Not sure if that's a good price right now or not, but I guarantee in a year or two it will have been a bargain. So as long as the use of lead based ammo doesn't get outlawed I should be in good shape.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:34 PM

Environmentalist would love lead to go away just like in water fowl hunting. They will find a case where a person got lead poison from part of a bullet from some venison. I think what we will see is lead being illegal in any hunting use. Pure brass round balls just does not do it for me.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
I think what we will see is lead being illegal in any hunting use.
California already has those laws in many areas
Old 12-20-2013, 05:54 PM

Thumbs up Lead price is stable

I did a report a few years back and found lead for sporting uses is 3 to 5% of the entire industry.

Prices I've been seeing for good pure market lead have been in the .90c+ range and still under a dollar.
Roto metals offers pre mixed bullet metals shipped for $99.00 an ingot of appx 60lbs weight.

I've been selling lead mixed wheel weights, lino, tin,soft & range scrap for $1.00 to 1.25 per lb.

lino pcs @ $2.00 per pound.

As far as the antis go they will continue to chip away at our life, liberty and happiness any way they can. Antis are like a spoiled brat . Never satisfied and if they can't have or do what we do, they find a way to take it from us just to cause sportsmen pain.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Master Pontificator

.....don no notin' bout no lead (pure/or alloy)..... brass,.... or primers .. powder.

Now fishing sinkers and down riggers are a different story......
Old 12-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Master Pontificator

Once again, I read about how unprepared you all are. No stocked lead? Who's fault is that?

Guess my dedicated scrounging for lead over the years will be paying off now.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
Once again, I read about how unprepared you all are. No stocked lead? Who's fault is that?

Guess my dedicated scrounging for lead over the years will be paying off now.
I guess I don't get this either.....unless y'all have had your head up a dark place......Times are getting really bad.

Tell me about stopping at your local tire shop, junk yard, or at least cruise the interweb, and buy a box of bullet every week.
All this lead stuff is mainly BS anyway, unless you shoot a lot of ML or big old slow bullets.

Poured lead doesn't work worth a crap....consistently... in any sort of auto loader, or anything over 2300 fps.

If you are shooting .45 auto, 9mm, .223, 308.....buy bullets......I can walk down my street and collect enough wheel weights to keep banging away for a long time.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:36 PM

I believe the original post was about lead for casting muzzleloader balls & bullets, however the following may have a few repercussions for all the lead tossers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doe_Run_Company

In December, the final primary lead smelter in the United States will close. The lead smelter, located in Herculaneum , Missouri , and owned and operated by the Doe Run Company, has existed in the same location since 1892.

The Herculaneum Smelter is currently the only smelter in the United States which can produce lead bullion from raw lead ore that is mined nearby in Missouri 's extensive lead deposits, giving the smelter its "primary" designation. The lead bullion produced in Herculaneum is then sold to lead product producers, including ammunition manufactures for use in conventional ammunition components such as projectiles, projectile cores, and primers. .

Doe Run made significant efforts to reduce lead emissions from the smelter, but in 2008 the federal Environmental Protection Agency issued new National Ambient Air Quality Standards for lead that were 10 times tighter than the previous standard. Given the new lead air quality standard, Doe Run made the decision to close the Herculaneum smelter.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:28 PM

Doe Run continues to work in other areas. they provide continuing updates on their operations to us .

http://www.doerun.com/MediaCenter/Ne...icle/2013.aspx
Old 12-23-2013, 09:47 PM

Here is another small bit of info that may be useful.....

I wonder if they could concentrate there ore ?? For instance in a cold process, kind of like taconite iron ore and ship it to an out of country facility and bring back raw ingots.....
===
http://news.yahoo.com/no-back-door-g...162208729.html
Old 12-24-2013, 01:11 AM

I bought several hundred pounds of lead for $50 and a bit of labor. Where, you ask? It came from the keel of a sailboat that was getting scrapped.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I bought several hundred pounds of lead for $50 and a bit of labor. Where, you ask? It came from the keel of a sailboat that was getting scrapped.
There you go, you just have to get more creative.
Many old, dirty and hard on the environment processes have been banned, and made too costly.
So yes, prices will be up....or imports.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Are you the guy who has the youtube video? I recently watched a video where the man had lead and he mentioned he got it from a sailboat. He also had some medical containers from radioactive medicines.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
Are you the guy who has the youtube video? I recently watched a video where the man had lead and he mentioned he got it from a sailboat. He also had some medical containers from radioactive medicines.
No, that would not be me.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Master Pontificator

There's actually a variety of lead alloys out there and you can simply select which source you use for the particular application you want.

I too use medical isotope containers. The soft lead they are made of is great for swaged jacketed bullets.

For hard cast, I like to add a pound of lead-free plumbing solder, or a pound of pewter to 19lbs of wheelweights. Hunter is correct that cast doesn't work that well in high velocity autoloaders, but Lyman's 130 grain round nose shoots just fine in my M1 carbine. If you want power in a cast bullet shooter, move up to something like the 45-70, which throws out BIG cast bullets at reasonable velocities.

Getting back to muzzleloaders, look for the flat stick-on wheelweights rather than clip-ons. Those are made of pure lead so they will flatten down against the rim of the wheel.

Lastly, if you really want jacketed bullets to shoot out of your AR, just get a swaging kit that converts 22RF jackets into .224 bullets. Besides .224, I've also made .357", .400", .429" bullets out of 380 Auto, 9mm, and 40S&W case respectively.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:08 PM

Talking Speed isn't everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
I guess I don't get this either.....unless y'all have had your head up a dark place......Times are getting really bad.

Tell me about stopping at your local tire shop, junk yard, or at least cruise the interweb, and buy a box of bullet every week.
All this lead stuff is mainly BS anyway, unless you shoot a lot of ML or big old slow bullets.

Poured lead doesn't work worth a crap....consistently... in any sort of auto loader, or anything over 2300 fps.

If you are shooting .45 auto, 9mm, .223, 308.....buy bullets......I can walk down my street and collect enough wheel weights to keep banging away for a long time.
2,330 fps is plenty fast for any bullet in a SHTF situation. IN fact, I've killed plenty of game shooting under 2,300 fps and that includes jacketed bullets too. I have a gas checked 150 gr 30 cal boolit that will exceed 2,300 fps in my 06'.

If I was shooting like I was 2 years ago I'd be out scrounging for more lead. Since I'm not I've accessed the situation and have more than enough to out last me.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:17 AM

My shipment of lead arrived the other day. Very pleased with it. I've now got more than enough to keep me in lead round balls for my muzzleloaders for some time to come.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post
2,330 fps is plenty fast for any bullet in a SHTF situation. IN fact, I've killed plenty of game shooting under 2,300 fps and that includes jacketed bullets too. I have a gas checked 150 gr 30 cal boolit that will exceed 2,300 fps in my 06'.

If I was shooting like I was 2 years ago I'd be out scrounging for more lead. Since I'm not I've accessed the situation and have more than enough to out last me.
That wasn't the point.... Fact is a lot of 30 cal. loads at around 2000 fps have done very well.

Was referring to the fact about how a pile of pure lead or wheel weights, is not a cure all for those that prefer .223, .308, "auto loaders"....and the high speed, calibers. .243,.270 300 mag etc.....