BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default New years resolutions

Are you making New year resolutions to be more frugal in 2014?

I am trying to cut here and there a little but not go without. Med Ins up and prescriptions are up. I am trying to keep from going down hill. I am trying to break at least even each month . Least that is my goal.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Are you making New year resolutions to be more frugal in 2014?

I am trying to cut here and there a little but not go without. Med Ins up and prescriptions are up. I am trying to keep from going down hill. I am trying to break at least even each month . Least that is my goal.
Colorado,
Good thoughts.

I am totally turning my life in a different direction.
Like many of us we run out of money before we run out of month.

For those of us that are alone--we only have us to depend on.
I started with Christmas.

As a Mother and single parent i am making some very tough decisons.

It ME time--way past in fact.
I am now tone deaf when it comes to my grown kids whining.

I think I am saying I am going to be more concerned about my safety and well-being.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Master Pontificator

Frugal is not by choice for me anymore, it's a have to. The day after Christmas I went to Walmart and stocked up on bath frizzers, lip gloss, girl's body spray, men's cologne for stocking stuffers next Christmas. For myself I stocked up on fleece pajamas, night gowns, and fleece tops, all half price at Kmart, and got my husband and boys the fleece jacket shirts all for half price and put it all in layaway for a couple months.
Thanks
Old 12-28-2013, 02:48 AM

Live within your means and if at all possible, live below your means.

For years, we've had people think my spouse and I knew "something" they didn't know. During the boom times, we saved. Didn't buy a new vehicle every year. Didn't take expensive vacations. Paid cash for purchases. Saved money where we could (heat with wood, buy on sale, buy only what we needed).

There is nothing wrong with saving a buck whenever and wherever. No shame in using coupons or sending in rebates. No shame if you wait for a sale or buy a "pre-owned" item. No shame if you barter. No shame if your vehicle is ten years old but paid in full.

Everyone has to do what is best for him/her and his/her family. No one's life is ruined if he/she does not drive a new car, wear the latest fashion, or not have an X-box!!
Old 12-28-2013, 05:02 PM

Default Frugality

Well folks, it just sounds like you are practicing frugality. Bravo!!! I really wish we could me more frugal, too. I also wish we could learn to be somewhat deaf to some of the demands of our grown kids. One asks reasonable stuff, the other one is in left field a lot of the time. One of them I gave a coupon book and tried to explain that it's not really like they show on TV, but that even if it's $10 saved, that's another one-half bag of needed groceries. I've tried to show that that gardening can be helpful for free food - but the one complains it must be raised beds, organic. Me, I'm thinking anything in the right direction is better. Frugality and saving is about the small steps done over a lengthy period of time.

So, celebrate even your little frugal accomplishments. They will add up
Old 12-28-2013, 08:38 PM

Plan on paying off my property right after the first of the year--without that payment every month my fixed income will sure stretch a lot further.

JVC
Old 12-28-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcstone View Post
Plan on paying off my property right after the first of the year--without that payment every month my fixed income will sure stretch a lot further.

JVC
Ahhh ha--as of the first of the year me too.
Will feel so good to stock up and not have to worry until the 3 of each month.
That stress will kill ya!!!

JVC---it feels so good.
No debt--again.

It would have to be a dire emerg.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Master Pontificator

I was in Livingston today and decided to pick up some black eyed peas for New Year's day at the Walmart there, this store is so big and had so much Christmas left over. This store had more clothing than I have ever seen in a Walmart and much of it was marked down. I didn't have much money and I am thinking that a lot of people may not have had much money before or after Christmas either or that store would not have that much stuff left over. Next year I am going Christmas shopping after Christmas at this Walmart.
Thanks
Old 12-29-2013, 03:49 PM

The Walmart I was to the Thursday before Xmas had all the Xmas material marked down to $3 to $5 a yard. I looked at it before that, I did not like and still did not like. They usually do mark down after Xmas. I had better plan on making them all a quilt for next Xmas or something. Material is high. Walmart has really came up. Good material.

I got through this year with out buying clothes and plan not to buy next year any. Just walking shoes and probably snow boots. Ihave plenty of clothes. I have turned off the light I was running nights. I did turn on the little chest freezer couple months ago. But I need to put meat in it I had gotten. Not much in and it will be off soon as room the fridge/freezer. But is meat. Electric is a bit higher but I am using the dishwasher while my hands or so stiff and sore.

eJvcstone and Txanne that is wonderful.

The two Walmarts I have been using do seem to have a big clothing section. Maybe they figure people would buy clothes for Xmas and not junk.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
The Walmart I was to the Thursday before Xmas had all the Xmas material marked down to $3 to $5 a yard. I looked at it before that, I did not like and still did not like. They usually do mark down after Xmas. I had better plan on making them all a quilt for next Xmas or something. Material is high. Walmart has really came up. Good material.

I got through this year with out buying clothes and plan not to buy next year any. Just walking shoes and probably snow boots. Ihave plenty of clothes. I have turned off the light I was running nights. I did turn on the little chest freezer couple months ago. But I need to put meat in it I had gotten. Not much in and it will be off soon as room the fridge/freezer. But is meat. Electric is a bit higher but I am using the dishwasher while my hands or so stiff and sore.

eJvcstone and Txanne that is wonderful.

The two Walmarts I have been using do seem to have a big clothing section. Maybe they figure people would buy clothes for Xmas and not junk.
Colorado
When my hands are like that--washing dishes in hot sudsy water helps them.
Takes a few minutes for them to loosen up--sure does feel good.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:57 AM

Only one New Year's resolution for me which is to cut my credit card balance in half.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:09 PM

This winter I did cut my heating down one degree from last winter. Hopefully that will help a little.

Tomorrow the store in Vernal has canned veggies, Libbys, at 3/$1 by case of 12. Usually when they have good sale the bus does not go there then. Bus goes tomorrow. While the supply last . I will try from here onto to buy on sales. That is pretty hard to do when you can not go when you want. But if I have a stock of it then have a better chance of doing it. Sale is two cases total. That is one heck of lot cheaper than Sams.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:04 PM

Vernal store just had a few cases and they go fast and I did not get any. Sale started the day before we went.

Was to thrift shop Friday and got two pair of walking shoes at $2 a pair. I feel lucky to find any. Been hunting long time and not right size. Clothes were .50 and I did not buy any. Looked at good pair of black jeans and too small. I carry a thing to measure with. I did not go through the jeans as no where near out yet.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Four months of this year has gone by. That is a third of the year. Are we better off? Us seniors got our cost of living increase. No Medicare monthly increase. End of year bank statement and end of April statement says I am $20 richer.

All bills are paid. Surely I have did better than that. Prescriptions are $7.50 now for 90 days. All four same price now as my drug Ins is now paying some. I have been paying for it in my Med Ins but did not work here. Now does. Some things are better. Prescriptions are all filled. In fact two of them I am ahead on. ?

Pantry and Freezer are stocked okay. I do need to cook up some meals for the freezer. They come in very handy. I have the stuff to cook them.

Never know what tomorrow will bring. Like Selena said live with in your means. I sure try.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:12 PM

This is something I struggle with. Being frugal. We did it for years when all three kids were home and it was a necessity. Well it's still a necessity but we aren't doing as well. Our biggest failure in frugality is that we eat out too much. On Fridays I go and eat lunch with dh. Sometimes I will fix our lunch here at home but most times I will go to Little Caesars and get their $5 pizza or Taco Bell and get us the $2 meal deals. But that still adds up.
I am doing a garden this year after not having one the last 2 years. The drought here took what I did try last year so I was hoping to get an earlier start this time. No, haven't been able to. The town we live in is in a bowl and water stands. So yeah, my garden area is still too damp to till and I have to borrow my dads tiller and therefore wait until he thinks the ground is ready. Next week I have a farmer coming to plow our garden area instead of me tilling it. I do have planted in containers: tires-potatoes, concrete blocks-garlic, dill & chives, planters-lavender, sweet basil & lettuce. I hope to be able to get as much as possible from the garden this year to can. What I can't get I'm going to purchase at an Amish Produce Auction to put up.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:51 PM

Late June stocked up the vitamins and added a bit to pantry. Had a chance to go to Sams and Krogers in big city. Big bottles of vitamins at Sams I hope saves money, I wanted at least 6 months or to get through winter. But it sure added up. I had to dip into July budgeted money. I should not need to buy hardly anything rest of the year on way of food and vitamins. Milk and anything fresh. I have budget very low but still on budget.

But this eating out is added up too much. But days senior bus goes to cities I eat out. I do not buy any drinks as take a bottle with me. I make it. I get water with meals.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:37 PM

Colorado I didn't make any resolutions but I've kept to my spending to a fairly decent level, hence my taking what I could use today when offered some furniture and household items that were left in a vacant trailer. There's nothing better than free when it comes to living within your means. I continue to get food each month from the food bank drop at my church, I'm still eating the Bertolli's frozen pasta dinners that I got last month. I've been cooking them in the microwave but I'm going to see if I can fix it in my small slow cooker instead. I pick up this month's food on Thursday and that along with the sandwich meats and canned goods should last me for some time. I was lucky enough not long ago to find three boxes of Post Great Grains Protein Blend cereal on clearance at Wal-Mart and priced at $2 each according to the sign. When I checked out they rang up at $1 each which meant they were marked down $1.78, not only that but the sell by date next year. I get my vitamins and supplements at Wal-Mart as I find their Equate brand to be the most economical.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:28 AM

I work for a company that sends us into the homes of clients that are elderly to clean for them, cook, take them on errands and so forth that they can't do on their own. Two of my clients are in their 60s & my other client is 87. All three of them live on less than $1000 a month and two of them get food stamps. When they get an increase in their social security their food stamps go down. One client receives $33.00 and the other $15.00. This has really made me sit back and evaluate where I want us to be by the time we are in our 60s. Right now we are living in town, in an area that is fairly low cost of living compared to the rest of the country. Our house is very old, we have a basement that remains wet even though we run a sump pump and therefore we have a problem with black mold in our bathroom. So for our health we really do need to locate a new place to live. We have talked about when our parents are gone moving to a different state where the climate is better for our arthritis. But with the way our government is it might be better to stay where we are, find a better place around here, because right now we are left alone and pretty much under the radar.
Our garden is doing very well. I still don't have all of it planted but I did get the rest of our seeds in last week from Baker's Creek. It's wet right now as we just had storms yesterday but hopefully by the end of the week I will be able to till again and get the rest planted.
Walmart here ran a sale on their sweet corn-$.20/ear. So I bought 100 years and put that up in freezer bags in case our corn doesn't do anything. I also used the corn cobs and made corn cob jelly. Surprisingly my husband loves it. It has a slight honey flavor to it.
My tomatoes are doing well, I planted broccoli and cabbage late-I decided to take a chance on them-and they are both doing great. I've had quite a bit of zucchini already and there are more blossoms out there. I have spaghetti squash growing, pumpkins growing and am waiting to see how our butternut squash and Hopi pale gray do. I'm not sure how my green beans are going to do but hoping to get enough to do a few jars. I have more corn and beans to plant as well as beets, turnips, okra, Hutterite beans for soup, and I did get our sweet potato slips put out but then it came a hard rain and I'm not sure they're going to do anything.
My step-son and I have started bringing in truck loads of fire wood for this coming Winter. Where we live in town we have to buy ours and to get it around here is $50-$70 a load. So we found a sawmill about an hour from us where you can get a load for $10. Even with the gas over and back that's still cheaper than buying around here. I figure it costs us $30.00 with gas for that truck, it's an '82 GMC full size.
So those are some things we are doing to be more frugal here. We are also paying as much as possible on our debts to get them eliminated as soon as possible.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:48 PM

You are doing great......good for you!
Old 07-17-2014, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYellowRose View Post
Colorado I didn't make any resolutions but I've kept to my spending to a fairly decent level, hence my taking what I could use today when offered some furniture and household items that were left in a vacant trailer. There's nothing better than free when it comes to living within your means. I continue to get food each month from the food bank drop at my church, I'm still eating the Bertolli's frozen pasta dinners that I got last month. I've been cooking them in the microwave but I'm going to see if I can fix it in my small slow cooker instead. I pick up this month's food on Thursday and that along with the sandwich meats and canned goods should last me for some time. I was lucky enough not long ago to find three boxes of Post Great Grains Protein Blend cereal on clearance at Wal-Mart and priced at $2 each according to the sign. When I checked out they rang up at $1 each which meant they were marked down $1.78, not only that but the sell by date next year. I get my vitamins and supplements at Wal-Mart as I find their Equate brand to be the most economical.
Bertolli's are tasty but some are high in sodium. We add whatever veggies we have (zukes, squash, peppers, spinach, leftover amounts of meat, usually chicken) which stretches the meal and helps cut the sodium. Their soups aren't bad either but again, watch the sodium.