BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:15 AM

Thanks countryjo. Yesterday Caleb and I loaded and unloaded another truck load of firewood from the sawmill. Slowly the wood pile is growing.
I also pulled tomato and pepper plants that didn't take and planted: potatoes, beets, turnips, carrots, peas, green beans & Hutterite soup beans. I haven't decided if I'm going to plant more corn yet.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:43 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Homesteader,
Do you have to cut and split the wood? my older son buy slabs from sawmill and cuts and splits. He using an electric chainsaw.

I am still managing on small amount I budgeted to live on. Rest left in bank to cover my checks. Going to doctor in Sept will cost me for the trip as doctor has no office hours on Thursday. Senior bus only goes that one Thursday to big city. Son will take me on a Friday that he does not work. Be right at $100 for the trip and meal. I got the time set early as we can get there and then have time to shop some. Then Oct for eye doctor. Will go on bus then. I do not want to change doctors. No doctors here to change to.. I am working on my shopping list.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:43 PM

Colorado-No, they are the end pieces I am assuming. There are a few bigger pieces dh might have to split but normally no.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:18 AM

I broke my resolution Friday not to buy clothes and bought a pair of jeans for .25 cents, Eddie Bauer good wt and they fit me. Black And have good pockets. Thrift shop down home clothing sale.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:36 AM

To good of a deal to pass up........I'll forgive you!! LOL
Old 12-03-2014, 11:26 AM

I did a quick check on my bank account. I have more end of Nov than I has Jan 1. That is good. BUT I have an ER copay bill and over night stay to pay for. My Thanksgiving trip and quilt material buy was already on Nov statement. Of course Xmas checks to come out of it. I should break even this year. I think I have did good. Have one SS check to go in this month. Hopefully this month will be okay. Wait and see.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
I did a quick check on my bank account. I have more end of Nov than I has Jan 1. That is good. BUT I have an ER copay bill and over night stay to pay for. My Thanksgiving trip and quilt material buy was already on Nov statement. Of course Xmas checks to come out of it. I should break even this year. I think I have did good. Have one SS check to go in this month. Hopefully this month will be okay. Wait and see.
Co-pays kicked my butt---my little cash stash went bye bye.
Time to rebuild.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:40 PM

Txanne,
I understand. Last year I did that as had to have hearing aids. Till I get statements from Med Ins I do not how much that bill will be. Still waiting.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:51 AM

New to the thread, but after reading the sourdough thread, I know what I am doing as my new years resolution.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:21 PM

I am starting to get statements for ER. So far things paid, BUT got a bill for $15 I already paid. Only bill it could be and I mailed check in to them. I will mail another one and if the other was just late I will get credit for it on next bill. I know $45 bill coming for eye doctor. Bill for keeping me over night is one I am bothered about what it will be. Money in checking to pay them. So still wait and see. I have been careful on buying anything. I saved for the trip and to buy the material.

For 2015 it will be more of the same. Only clothing item is snow boots. I really had better get a new pair before these split. They have to be 15 years old. Still good but really showing wear but soles are great yet. I will watch thrifts.

I have bought a couple baking pans at thrifts and last one of bread Flat pan with 6 indents and should give bottom of rolls shape. I like baking things and cookie things. I bake and share with my son here.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:55 PM

My goal is break even on living on SS. I want to save back some if can. I did my count before I wrote Xmas checks. Been sort of working on next year's budget. My SS increase will have to stay in bank to cover Med Ins increase and copay increases. So will still be on same limited budget. All the bills have gotten paid. When I get end of Dec bank statement all checks be on there but one Xmas check. I read in my hand book from Med Ins observation is covered and that is what my over night stay was. So far no bill. My doctor has my heart afib under control . And I watch what I eat.

I plan to make quilts this coming year. I did nothing this year. I need to work this material down. I want to get some things cooked and in freezer, beans and soups and such. I finished every hing like that off.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:40 PM

Of course, the usual resolution to lose weight and exercise. Every year, about this time, I gain way more then the average American should.
Live even further below my means. In general I attain the effort rather easily. This year, I want to take it even further.
Refine my charcuterie skills.
Get back into baking breads.
Get good at making homemade pasta. In the past my efforts were "meh" at best.
Tan hides and make a pair of gloves.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:21 AM

Selena,

I was grocery shopping today...

As usual, not seeing anyone using coupons. I work 4-5 stores for sales w/coupons (the same name store (chain) will have some different items in each store/location).

Sometimes folks just outright stare in my direction, mesmerized. I'm not one that takes huge binders of coupons; have a small box and a coupon "wallet". Personally, I read about this woman (on another forum - frugal related) that claims she uses three binders with "thousands of coupons" and could work the food stores in less than 30 minutes and Walmart. Give me a break!

Even at check out, not seeing couponers, for some reason.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
Selena,

I was grocery shopping today...

As usual, not seeing anyone using coupons. I work 4-5 stores for sales w/coupons (the same name store (chain) will have some different items in each store/location).

Sometimes folks just outright stare in my direction, mesmerized. I'm not one that takes huge binders of coupons; have a small box and a coupon "wallet". Personally, I read about this woman (on another forum - frugal related) that claims she uses three binders with "thousands of coupons" and could work the food stores in less than 30 minutes and Walmart. Give me a break!

Even at check out, not seeing couponers, for some reason.
I have a hard time believing the thousands of coupons. Expiration dates are very short these days. And most coupons are for prepared foods (aka highly processed foods). I'm fairly selective these days as to which coupons I even clip - $.25 off a can of coffee isn't much so I hope I catch a sale. More often than not, I get a better price on another brand versus the one for which I have a coupon.

Planning and organizing are key when shopping (regardless of what one needs to purchase). I too make a list and mark items for which I have a coupon(s). If I am doing to the shopping, I carry the rest of my coupon stash in case I see a good sale. Most of the time spouse does food shopping, I do non-food items and stock items (coffee, olive oil, peanut butter etc).

We do buy Bertolli's (meals and soup) but add our garden veggies and/or leftover meat/seafood to stretch it. And cut the sodium content.

Biggest cost savings for this coming year is insurance at employee rates. We can live on one of the two monthly paychecks (one income). The other will be banked. We are pretty good about replacing items before we have too - necessity makes a poor bargain. And working from home saves a tidy sum of money as no commuting costs.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:13 PM

I am going to try hard to keep my life between the ditches.

One solid resolution is too NOT help family members next year.
No I am not stingy--never have been but I just have to make a
change in family dynamics that I will participate in.

Sometimes you just got to know your limitations--mentally and financially.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Master Pontificator

if i had a new years resolution it would be to double the acreage of my farm thats in production. last year i had 1 acre in production (activly growing crops for home and market), this year my goal is for 2 acres. not much else i can really change
Old 01-02-2015, 11:28 AM

Doctor has had my wt down and had me walking for some years now. Statements for my trip to ER are all in I hope. $231 my copays. Total bill was over $9000. I have to have the insurance. Waiting on the bill now.

Got my Dec bank statement. I managed to save a little. It will go down with the copay and a Xmas check. But enough to cover that okay in what saved, All in all my bills got paid. And a little left over. No debts.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:46 PM

I ride the senior bus to a city each week. Seems like most all the ladies have gotten new clothes this winter. I have not. I do not plan to buy any this year. I will watch for snow boots, I did look in Nov but nothing my size, with good tread. I am not short clothes any clothes .

I am doing my shopping lists for March when son take to the big city to go to doctor. He has no Thursday hours so son will tae me on a Friday he has off. I pay gas and lunch. Senior bus only goes on Thursdays once a month down there. Good part I only need to go twice a year unless get sick. But still have to work this extra cost into my budget. I have made list where I need go and DIL can work it in route where they need go. Have list for each store. Then I staple the lists together.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:27 PM

My son and his wife had to make a trip to big city in Feb. They asked if I wanted to go. I did and got some March stuff I had planned did. Last time in on the bus I found a pair of snow boots my size and good tread at the goodwill. Yes they were high I thought .
Old 03-18-2015, 04:24 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
Colorado,
Good thoughts.

I am totally turning my life in a different direction.
Like many of us we run out of money before we run out of month.

For those of us that are alone--we only have us to depend on.
I started with Christmas.

As a Mother and single parent i am making some very tough decisons.

It ME time--way past in fact.
I am now tone deaf when it comes to my grown kids whining.

I think I am saying I am going to be more concerned about my safety and well-being.
You sound like the wife. She says, "Some of the little birdies learn how to fly, and the cat catches some." The asked the kids, "Which little birdie would you prefer to be?"

If they are helping themselves, working to do better and just hit a snag, we do try and help them, they all had the opportunity to go to college. Some took full advantage of their opportunity, but sadly a couple did not. Now a few years later two are going back to school while holding down a full time job, because they now realize that IS the ticket to a better/easier more rewarding financial career.