BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

1/3 of this year is gone, and I have not bought any clothes but snow boots. That is all I plan this year in way of clothes. I stocked few things in Mar for the pantry. Was not much. I had gotten couple items food in Feb. I am watching the budget close. I know I need to get my diet back up better. But that is because of this arthritis and not feeling up to cooking.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:13 PM

I plan to do the same this year. Buy no clothes unless a pair of dark brown slacks/pants as my pair last I tried on too large. I will try on again before I go shopping. I have quite a few tops tp go with them. If I can find at thrift shop. I tossed out a pair of navy pants as too large. Will not replacethem.

I will continue to watch the food budget. I did okay this -past year.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:06 PM

Default we are into 2016 already

I realize this thread started in 2014, but frugal living is for every year.

This year, I am trying to really watch my spending. As I was laid off last year, and have basically gone into early retirement. I am burned out from 26 years in the computer field. I had always planned to retire early anyhow, but I thought that would be at 55 not 49. But so far I am loving it.

So the things I have done is plant a large garden (now that I have time to tend it) I am still waiting for the pear, peach, plum and cherry (pie) trees to get big enough to produce enough fruit for more than some fresh eating.

I've already laid out most of the investment in canning jars, and canners, and I am making good use of that investment. Also have invested in 6 solar panels, and 10 deep cycle batteries, charge controller, and 2000 watt pure sine inverter.

So now my goals are to be able to live on $2000/month. That includes heat, utilities, other groceries, taxes, clothing (for growing child), vehicle and still be able to give to charities. So far so good, as Jan 2016 is now behind us.

The best advice I can give is: not pay any interest!
Second best advice is to be self sufficient. Since the Gov't does not tax you on things you grow and consume yourself (at least not yet, I am sure they are thinking of a way to do this). Thus that is why we have a large garden. I just wish we were able to have some critters, for eggs, and meat.

Keeping track of all you spend is very useful. Personally I use quicken books to do this. It's amazing how much little things add up. Like eating out.

Good luck to all of you.

Bear
Old 03-28-2016, 07:28 PM
Master Pontificator

I made one resolution for the 2016 new year and that was to get debt paid off. After almost four months of cutting back on the food budget, electric, propane, and a few other household things, I have saved enough to pay off two costly monthly bills, then I can take that extra money each month and start paying off the other two debts.

It is so easy to get in debt, but so hard to get out of it, never eaten so much chicken and bologna sandwiches these four months, but it was so worth it to get some debt paid off.
Thanks
Old 03-28-2016, 10:36 PM

Good for you jeanb. I do eat a lot of chicken too. No debts but bills to pay. I really lowered my checking account last month. And bank statement did not include my med ins for March. Medicare comes out before I get SS check but Rocky Mountain takes from checking. But depends on calendar. They got about 3 days after statement I would guess. It takes money to just survive. The price of things. I have signed with local doctor but doubt will save me trip money. Still have to go to big city for things. Wait and see on that. Son does not have to make the two trips just for me. We try to do shopping then. They had to go in in Feb and we shopped and I got things I needed and paid things. I had been going March and Sept. No set dates now. Senior bus will take me tomorrow to doctor appointment here.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:54 AM

Started my best-case five year/worse-case seven year plan to pay off the house. Making a payment to principle each month in the same amount as the regular payment. If the best case happens, house paid off when I am 60, worse case I'm 62.

Contributions to my retirement plan are post-tax. I'll make use of pre-tax for HSA (maximum), FSA (minimal). Unless I get a large medical expense, I don't pay from the HSA. I can reimburse myself at any point in time. For those who have a HSA to roll over, please read the IRS code - particularly how the start date of an HSA is determined. The earlier your HSA start date, the more flexibility you have for reimbursement. And if I don't have to reimburse, I'll have a tidy sum stashed away once I retire at age 70 (which of course could change due to circumstances beyond my control). I do need to crunch numbers to see if converting taxable IRAs to Roth IRAs can start occurring - taxes are first and foremost. Then whose IRAs we convert - spouse's or mine?

My spouse is semi-retired and started collecting SS this year. We did the math. Today's dollar is worth more than tomorrow's dollar AND I am working (and will continue to work). It will take 16 years before filing at 62 vs. full retirement age is "less" money.

We are also replacing vehicles, appliances, mechanical (furnace, A/C) etc as well as keeping up with maintenance. Necessity makes a poor bargain.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:38 PM

We never know what will happen. here I am oldest in family at 84. My daughter lost her husband late Oct and oldest son lost his wife end of Feb. I had thought I had all the paperwork ok. VP at bank said no on checking account. We fixed that.

I did buy one one p