BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading > Your Homestead

Your Homestead Tell and show others with words and pictures how you built or are building your homestead and how you keep things going day-to-day. One thread per member, please.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:20 PM

Default On Cottonwood Pond....A New Beginning

"Too often the strong, silent man is silent only because he does not know what to say, and is reputed strong only because he has remained silent."
-
Winston Churchill

Hello all you wonderful like-minded folks in BHM land! I decided that today would be a good day to begin the tale of my beautiful (sometimes ugly) chunk of land that is my heaven (sometimes hell) on earth.

First off, Happy 2014! As Col. Sherman T. Potter once said on MASH a long time ago;
"Here's to the new year...may she be a damn sight better than the old one and may we all be home before she's over."

As I sit here in my easy chair gazing out the window of my RV, the thing that always draws my gaze first are the cottonwood trees growing on our pond at the back of our five acres. God only knows how long these gentle giants have stood silent guard over this quiet place. Well, not always silent. I can recall more than a few times when the wind would blow in great gusts in the Spring or Fall, when they were sporting their crown of large leaves, and they would literally roar. I have estimated them at over 150 feet tall and two people could hug the base and not touch each others hands!

Old 01-01-2014, 03:55 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome MJ. Hopefully that one photo is only the start.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:58 PM

The world I was born into was very different than the one I live in now. I spent my pre-teen years in the 1970's running around in my track home neighborhood in Cotati, California, considered Northern California by the natives. All the key players were there; hippies, Hell's Angels, an increasing influx of Mexicans, and hard working folks like my parents.

My dad worked at the local Sears store as a mechanic, and managed to save enough to buy a new home half a block from a shopping center and large park. As I remember he paid around $20,000 for the 3 bedroom with attached garage on 1/8 acre. I could look out my bedroom window at the neighbors bedroom window 4 feet away.

A short walk South of this house there was a tiny park with an irrigation canal behind it. This was my special place, the country boy in me. Lots of big crawdads, mosquito fish, horses cows and wild hares in the field that stretched out even farther South. In the distance I could even see a barn and farmhouse.

One day when I was 11, dad came home from work and said we were gonna go on vacation to Montana for a few weeks this summer and visit his brother and family.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:25 PM

Welcome from Wisconsin.....
Always enjoyed the time I spent in Missoula, Lo Lo and other parts of that area...

I think I was 16 or so before I discovered there were other woods to make camp fires with other than pine and cotton wood.....

Are you in an area where the elk come down to for winter.... ??
They are fun to watch, but can be a pest at times around live stock..

Enjoy
Old 01-01-2014, 06:15 PM

I am enjoying this---please continue.
(I know the feeling) of looking out at your part of heaven.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
I am enjoying this---please continue.
(I know the feeling) of looking out at your part of heaven.
Likewise! Please continue.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:35 AM

Happy New Year and WELCOME

BTW We love stories and more pictures!
South Central VA Since 2008
Old 01-02-2014, 04:08 PM

Default Welcome to Montana Joe

Hey and welcome. Montana is beautiful. Visited there once and loved it. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:30 PM

As a family, my Mom and Dad and my sister (2 years younger) had been on a few longer vacations and lots of shorter trips. Dad loved to fish and camp. We were only a few miles from the coast and spent many weekends at Bodega Bay. We always seemed to have a nice RV trailer or 5th wheel, always with the built-in 8 track player and a box of classic country 8 track tapes. At that young age I fell in love with Johnny Cash, Waylon, and Willie.

This trip to Montana was going to be fun! I don't remember much of the trip, but do recall getting there. What a paradise! My aunt and uncle and three cousins were living in an old mobile home in Tarkio, MT, 40 miles West of Missoula. It was a trailer park in the woods, but to a boy who grew up mostly on pavement, it was heaven! I do know that those 2 weeks went by much too fast.

Little did I know but this trip would spark something in my Dad to do something very out of character for him. Not prone to doing anything rash or without alot of thought and planning, he put his house up for sale and started selling off anything we couldn't take with us in the big 38 foot 5th wheel, and we were moving to Montana the following May!
Old 01-03-2014, 02:46 AM

Welcome, Joe. And Happy New Year, all!
Old 01-03-2014, 11:08 AM

Welcome. I spend a lot of time in western Montana and northern Idaho. Two sons and a FNL make that happen. Beautiful country.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:29 PM

Hello all and thanks for the welcomes. I've been reading BWH since almost the beginning and have been reading your posts here for a long time. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!

Today was the annual case sale in town. Never miss it!

http://www.use.com/2014_01_03_1_103f0c039a5b66b91d82

Canned soups, peanut butter, canned veggies and fruit, tomato sauce, tuna, ramen for the grand-kids, and of course apple juice, the base for our hard cider! Rotate and stack em high!

Stay warm folks.

Last edited by MontanaJoe; 01-04-2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Picture didnt show
Old 01-08-2014, 07:42 PM

When we crossed into Montana my dad stopped at a pay phone to call my uncle and let him know we would be there in a few hours. I the few days we had taken to get to MT pulling the big 5th wheel, my uncle had moved 100 miles North to the Flathead valley. Now we were moving to a place we had never seen! When we got there my dad rented a vacant spot in the small trailer court that my uncle, aunt, and 3 cousins were living in.

That first summer I started helping out on a small farm down the road. The old couple needed somebody to do odd chores. They had dogs (shelties), cats, 3 brown swiss milk cows, pigs, geese, ducks, guineas, and a big old farmhouse with an even bigger old barn. They had a room upstairs that was made into a library with thousands of books on gardening and farming related subjects. This would later become the place where I slept when watching their farm in the years to come, while they would travel. They even had every issue of the old/good Mother E. N. Mag. I read every one!

I remember thinking that this place was a paradise. Fishing, swimming, woods and mountains to explore. A few years later my dad bought 5 acres of unimproved land near where the Swan River exits Swan Lake. While my dad had a well drilled, septic installed, mobile home set, etc., I built my first chicken coop and started my own little "farm".

http://www.use.com/3bdd35992251549e1462
Old 01-07-2015, 10:52 PM

Has it really been over a year since I posted here? Well, Happy 2015 all!

We have just spent 4 days digging out of a record setting snow storm where we received 32 inches of snow on top of the 2 feet we already had. I don't know if it was dumb luck or intuition last July when a HUGE 10hp 30 inch Craftsman snow blower caught my eye on craigslist for $100. I bought it immediately. It was running rough and reverse didn't work. I had it tuned up and fixed in a few weeks time and stored it away for the Winter. As luck would have it, this has been the worst Winter since 1996/97, and it's not over by a long shot! The snow blower is a beast with tracks. More like a walk behind tractor! I am seeing smaller models right now go for over $1000.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaJoe View Post
Has it really been over a year since I posted here? Well, Happy 2015 all!

We have just spent 4 days digging out of a record setting snow storm where we received 32 inches of snow on top of the 2 feet we already had. I don't know if it was dumb luck or intuition last July when a HUGE 10hp 30 inch Craftsman snow blower caught my eye on craigslist for $100. I bought it immediately. It was running rough and reverse didn't work. I had it tuned up and fixed in a few weeks time and stored it away for the Winter. As luck would have it, this has been the worst Winter since 1996/97, and it's not over by a long shot! The snow blower is a beast with tracks. More like a walk behind tractor! I am seeing smaller models right now go for over $1000.

Sometimes you run onto a deal like this and wonder why it can't happen more often. Congratulations on the blower but my condolences on snow up to the ass on a nine foot tall Indian.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:01 PM

Hopefully, you've shoveled off the shed roof by now. On a side note, how are you able to post such large photos? Whenever I try to post a pic, this site says "25kb, or less".
Old 01-10-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Hopefully, you've shoveled off the shed roof by now. On a side note, how are you able to post such large photos? Whenever I try to post a pic, this site says "25kb, or less".

I've just quit trying to post photos here. The same link that works for The Campfire, or almost anywhere else, to post photos will only link back to my Photobucket page so I just go with that.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:23 PM

I'm guessing that the big pictures come from an outside source like Flickr or Photobucket. The one picture I uploaded from my computer I had to reduce to itty-bitty for this site to take.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:57 PM
Master Pontificator

Welcome back! That picture makes me want to cry...so beautiful and peaceful. It also makes me thankful all that snow is not in my yard! Other than snow removal, what have you been up to? I would love it if you wanted to continue your story. I find it interesting how people got started etc.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:49 AM
Master Pontificator

Also enjoying your articles. Keep the updates coming when you can.