BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 01-14-2014, 12:35 AM

Default 22 magnum vs 22 long rifle

What is your preference over this two calibers? Is it worth the price in ammunition to provide a larger punch of power?
Old 01-14-2014, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAgradstudent View Post
What is your preference over this two calibers? Is it worth the price in ammunition to provide a larger punch of power?
As an indicator of my feelings in the matter, I have one rifle and one revo in .22 mag, but multiple rifles and pistols/revos in .22 LR. For my purposes, .22 LR is very useful. I use it to help train new shooters and I use it in my own training as a surrogate for a larger caliber gun. I can spend most of my time with the .22 working on the usual points of marksmanship with little recoil, cost or requirement for reloading, with just a small amount of time with the more expensive centerfire guns.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:24 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

If you want or need more power than a .22 LR, it's better to get a reloadable cartridge like a .22 Hornet instead of the Magnum
Old 01-14-2014, 01:02 PM

I love both calibers (.22lr & .22 WMR), and have several rifles in both, but it is somewhat hard to find ammo for both in my area. (TN) So I picked up a used Mossberg 817 17 HMR 21" barrel for $180 with a box of ammo. The .17 HMR ammo is more expensive than .22lr but cheaper than .22 WMR ~ .25 a round. But, it is more available here. There is always a box in wally world here. It is more powerful than the lr and magnum. Shoots great and is very accurate. As for as is it worth the extra money for the punch, it is definitely more punch and more range. But for me it was the availability of the ammo. Hope this helps.

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"

Last edited by the1gman; 01-14-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-14-2014, 06:37 PM

Magnum doesn't provide that much more bang for your buck than 22lr IMHO. But on the downside it is louder and more expensive, so there is that.

Now the recent climate has changed that a bit in that at least you can sometimes actually FIND the magnum while 22lr is now ridiculously priced if you can find it at all.

Mostly we use 22lr, but we did buy a revolver for training that has an interchangeable 22 mag cylinder so that we had the option when ammo is scarce.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:26 PM

Paradox..that revolver wouldn't by chance be a Ruger Single Six would it?
Old 01-15-2014, 12:01 AM

I never gave much thought to the .22 mag. It was always priced too high to make it practical IMO. Yes you can find .22 mag now easier than .22LR but someday this craze will end and .22 LR will be plentiful again and it will be cheaper than .22 mag as its always been.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockdaleDave View Post
Paradox..that revolver wouldn't by chance be a Ruger Single Six would it?
Actually its a taurus 992.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:57 PM

I use a 22 WMR revolver as a farm carry piece. This gives slightly better performance through a short barrel than a 22 LR gives out of a rifle, but in a much handier package.
When I'm out doing chores or fixing things I can not be bothered to carry around a long gun. But if you NEED a weapon, you generally need it right now, without running all the way back to the barn.

StockdaleDave - I keep a Single Six set up for 22 WMR, and another set up for 22 LR. For rainy days when I don't want to get the Rugers wet, I have the same two gun deal using Heritage Manufacturing Rough Riders.

Ballistically, out of a rifle the 22 WMR has the same energy at 100 yards as the 22 LR has at the muzzle. So for small varmints I bought a left handed Savage 93GL 22 WMR and put an inexpensive rimfire scope on it.

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Old 01-16-2014, 01:16 PM

Same here - my carry around the place is a single six with the mag set up.

at my age on rainy days I just stay in.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:12 PM

I have mostly .22LR's (10/22, M&P22, Marlin 60 & Ruger Mk II) but I also have a nice bolt action .22WMR that is a tack driver. It doesn't have the best scope on it (Bonecollector 4-9x40) but at 100 yards will keep a decent group. I always wanted a 22WMR and finally got this one for $100. Before everything went nuts I went out and bought a couple of hundred rounds of ammo for it. I figure it will be a good varmint gun on the property for small critters like raccoons and possums. Skunks get a box trap covered in old carpet and a road trip out to the national forest lol. But personally I like both, and been keeping an eye out for a used 22magnum revolver to go with it.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:57 PM

With 22lr single shot or revolver, you can also shoot 22 short and caps.

I used to have a CCI shot shell in my Ruger Mk1, just in case of snakes.
Rest of mag was CCI Stingers.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:38 PM

I would really like to have a 22 mag lever gun but they are all beaucoup dollars. Only Browning or Henry I think .
Old 01-17-2014, 12:19 AM

To bad they don't have an over and under in a 22lr and 22 mag then you could have you cake and eat it too.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:37 AM

They do but only in a derringer .
Old 01-17-2014, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
I would really like to have a 22 mag lever gun but they are all beaucoup dollars. Only Browning or Henry I think .
That is debate that I keep having with myself, I am looking at the Henry lever action 22 mag or 22LR. Roughly a 100 dollar difference, but I could afford to shoot the 22LR more often than the mag.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:24 PM

.22 magnum is just a sales gimmick. This just opens wallets for another ammo and another rifle. .22LR will do what you need it to do.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:59 AM
Master Pontificator

I've done a lot of 100 yard rifle shooting with both the 22 LR, and the 22 Mag. You're able to use a tighter sight picture and pick up an additional 20 - 30 yards with the 22 Magnum. If you can kill it with 22 LR then you can kill it with 22 Magnum, too. There's not a great deal of difference.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:41 PM

While we're discussing 22LR, does any one know of any differences between 22LR, CCI mini mags and CCI stingers or is it just hype?

While wer're at it, can't you fire a 22LR in a 22 Mag chamber? 38 Special seems to work alright in 357 Mag revolvers.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:56 PM

22LR splits the cases when shot out of a 22 mag Single Six cylinder. Don't ask me how I know...