BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 01-18-2014, 09:17 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J R Adams View Post
While we're discussing 22LR, does any one know of any differences between 22LR, CCI mini mags and CCI stingers or is it just hype?

While wer're at it, can't you fire a 22LR in a 22 Mag chamber? 38 Special seems to work alright in 357 Mag revolvers.
"Mini Mags" are just a good quality "high velocity" round.
Stingers are a HYPER velocity round, using a lightweight bullet to get the extra speed
They are both still "22 LR" rounds

The only difference between a 38 Spcl and a 357 Mag, dimensionally, is the length of the brass

The 22 LR and 22 Magnums differ in length AND diameter, as well as actual bullet
size, with one being .222 and one being .224
Old 01-18-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
"Mini Mags" are just a good quality "high velocity" round.
Stingers are a HYPER velocity round, using a lightweight bullet to get the extra speed
They are both still "22 LR" rounds

The only difference between a 38 Spcl and a 357 Mag, dimensionally, is the length of the brass

The 22 LR and 22 Magnums differ in length AND diameter, as well as actual bullet
size, with one being .222 and one being .224
Thanks, good info to know. I didn't realize that 22LR and 22Mag were different diameters.
Appreciate it.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:50 AM

Default 22m

I have a friend who loves his 22m. & he kills all kinds of critters with it. I have a 22/22m revolver shoots nice nuff.

However, with the price of rim fire cartridges approaching center fire I opted for a CZ in 223.
It can be loaded down to a 22m velocity and up to full power 223. Light recoil so my grand kids can use it to hunt with and it will kill deer dead.

Me ordering lots of 224 bullets and brass to sell also played a part in getting the 223. Sales were ripping out the door till June. Then it was like everyone stopped purchasing 224 components.
So I figured the price would never be cheaper.

If you opt for a 22m get a good one. A CZ while pricy shoots like a dream. Especially with that single set trigger.

Last I checked22m cartridges were going for $10.00 to $15.00 per 50.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
While we're discussing 22LR, does any one know of any differences between 22LR, CCI mini mags and CCI stingers or is it just hype?

While wer're at it, can't you fire a 22LR in a 22 Mag chamber? 38 Special seems to work alright in 357 Mag revolvers.
This one sounds like a question that I should be able to answer.

Especially because I've got a thousand rounds of each sitting on my desk as I type. CCI Stingers are, indeed, hyper velocity, 22 LR, 32 grain, hollow point rounds. Muzzle velocity is rated at 1640 fps. Stingers are Eley primed and have copper-plated bullets. (I've never seen them in RN configuration.) Stinger cartridge cases appear to be plated; exactly what with I do not know; but, the plating appears to be nickel.

CCI Mini-Mags are high quality, high velocity, Eley primed, 22 LR 40 grain, round nosed rounds. Muzzle velocity is rated at 1235 fps. Mini-Mags, also, have copper-plated bullets. They are available in both HP and RN configuration. Mini-Mag cartridge cases are brass.

CCI Stingers are the only hollow point 22 LR ammunition that I use. Everything else has copper-plated round nose bullets. I only wish that CCI offered Stingers in RN configuration. If they did I'd immediately buy a half dozen, 'bricks'.

The answer to your final question is, 'No'. Not only is the 22 Mag cartridge longer; but the case, also, has a significantly different taper (which accounts for the concomitant differences in OD).
Old 01-20-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks, good info to know. I didn't realize that 22LR and 22Mag were different diameters.
Appreciate it.
If you look at them side by side, you'll see the brass on a 22 LR sits flush with the outside of the bullet.

That's because it has a smaller diameter "heel" which fits inside the case

The 22 Magnum uses a normal shaped projectile, and the brass is larger because it fits over it

Here's a 22 LR showing the "heel":
http://www.levergun.com/articles/wrong.htm

Here they are side by side:

This diagram explains it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heeled_bullet

Last edited by Bearfootfarm; 01-20-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:05 AM

Thanks, Bearfoot.

I didn't know about the heeled bullet either.

Good info.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:15 PM

Weird, I've never heard of a heeled bullet to be honest.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
Weird, I've never heard of a heeled bullet to be honest.
It's pretty much obsolete, but was quite common with some of the old black powder cartridges

The smaller 22 Rimfires are the only ones I know of that still use the design
Old 05-23-2014, 03:54 PM

The 22 Magnum is a completely different animal than 22 LR. It comes to us from the now-obsolete 22 WRF. Basically they took a 22 WRF and lengthened it. I've got a working 22 WRF pump--nice little rifle from about 1900. CCI makes ammo for it again.

I have a Single Six in 22 MAG-- nice pistol, but I hardly ever get a chance to use it. I've known folks that liked 22 Mag. However, what you're getting is, at least in my mind, a marginal improvement in performance over a 22 LR and a huge jump in cost of ammo.

In my mind, I'd shoot what I wanted to with 22 LR and if it can't be done with that, I'd jump up to 223 Rem.

I've also seen 22 Mag touted for CCW work. Yikes! Yes, it makes noise. Yes, it could kill someone, but there is a much better chance that the fellow on the receiving end might kill you before he starts feeling the effect.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:43 PM

Default WRF

[QUOTE=dorfdimpaler;387644]The 22 Magnum is a completely different animal than 22 LR. It comes to us from the now-obsolete 22 WRF. Basically they took a 22 WRF and lengthened it. I've got a working 22 WRF pump--nice little rifle from about 1900. CCI makes ammo for it again.

When I was 12 yrs. old in 1959 my dad gave me a .22 he bought at an auction sale. It cost $2. It was a model 1890 Winchester pump action
WRF with a Hex barrel. I thought the WRF meant Winchester rim fire.

It split the case on .22lr and I thought it was just 'wore out' In later years,
I discovered the truth and was able to find the correct ammo for it.

My son now has it.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfdimpaler View Post
I have a Single Six in 22 MAG-- nice pistol, but I hardly ever get a chance to use it. I've known folks that liked 22 Mag. However, what you're getting is, at least in my mind, a marginal improvement in performance over a 22 LR and a huge jump in cost of ammo.
Have seen a couple of guys ream out the 22lr cylinder couple of positions, so as to take advantage or both.

Kinda like the .22 mag my self.......go a few
Single six wears the .22 mag cylinder most of the time......, top barrel in a Savage 24,..... in a H&R Sportster, and NAA Mini Revolver.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:03 PM

I like the .22 magnum, I have a Ruger Single Six 5 1/2 blue steel, fixed sights and keep the magnum cylinder in the gun. Several months ago, Walmart had the Hornady .22 magnum critical defense .45 grain in stock (go figure ) I purchased two boxes and this is what I carry in the Ruger. I have not shot anything with it but it's on ready.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:34 AM

I've owned one 22mag, a Colt single-shot bolt-gun that was obviously made to be inexpensive. I sold it or traded it, can't remember which, simply because 22 mag ammo was expensive and loud for what it was and because in reality I didn't have any real use for the 22mag itself. I couldn't legally hunt deer with it and insufficient for that purpose anyway, and for varmints there are a lot better choices out there, like the .17.

I carry a .22lr handgun when out doing anything around the place. It was a six-shot CA Pathfinder revolver with a 3" bbl, but lately its a Ruger SR22 simply because I can carry extra rounds in a mag rather than loose in my pocket.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
Have seen a couple of guys ream out the 22lr cylinder couple of positions, so as to take advantage or both.

Kinda like the .22 mag my self.......go a few
Single six wears the .22 mag cylinder most of the time......, top barrel in a Savage 24,..... in a H&R Sportster, and NAA Mini Revolver.
Had a Savage 24 in 22 mag and 3" 20 gauge. I sorely regret selling it. That gun could take about anything you wanted except maybe a brown bear. I'm sure a 3" slug would take the bear too, but he might get you before you reloaded, or he got you.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:

No and no.
First, no it's not just hype. CCI mini mags and CCI stingers are both 22LRs. But both the CCI mini mags and the CCI stingers are supposedly a little more powerful (faster) than standard velocity 22LRs. I think, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, CCI makes the mini mags faster by adding a little more powder, and they make the stingers faster by loading them with lighter weight bullets (slugs). For hunting, I myself prefer Winchester Power Point .22s. To me, the Power Points just seem to kill better than other .22s.

Second, no - comparing 22LRs and 22Mags to .38 Specials and .357 Magnums is apples and oranges. For reasons I can't simply explain here, 22LRs are not as big around as 22Mags. Yes, using the correct cylinder, a 22LR will shoot through a 22Mag barrel, but it's not a very tight fit. And in my experience, my Ruger 22Mag/22LR revolvers have always shot 22Mags more accurately.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:41 PM

A .22 LR shot through a Single Six with the Magnum cylinder will split the cases for sure. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:00 AM
Master Pontificator

.22 WRF can be used in a .22 WMRF chambered weapon or revolvers cylinder, somewhat like the .38 Special .357 Magnum relationship. I experienced no split cases or apparent loss of accuracy, but I was not shooting bulleye targets either.

The lower powered .22 WRF may not reliably cycle a .22 WMRF semi-automatic but they have worked very well in revolvers and bolt action rifles for me. The only problem I had was was finding the .22 WRF in the past.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:54 AM

I use a 22 for a lot of things but where the 22 mag excels is larger animals such as coyotes. It has a little extra range and a little more oomph.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:23 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejeep92 View Post
I use a 22 for a lot of things but where the 22 mag excels is larger animals such as coyotes. It has a little extra range and a little more oomph.
I got rid of the .22 WMRF rifle I had many years ago. It was not because of the rifle or the lack of power of the cartridge, but rather the expense of a cartridge that could not be reloaded. The .22 Hornet, .222 Remington and .223 can all be downloaded to .22 WMRF power or lower and uploaded to anything in between all the way to their full power loads.

There are a number of other center fire rifle cartridges that can do the same thing. I have a friend that uses reduced loads in his .243 Winchester to hunt squirrels with. When I was a youth an older gentleman I knew, who is now deceased, told me he used his .30-.30 Winchester to hunt squirrels with also, just to hone his skills for the approaching deer season. He only took "head shots," with manufactured full power ammunition, at least that is what he told me. I don't believe he was just pulling a kids leg, but I was never along on any of his squirrel hunts either.

Neither of these cartridges would be one of my first few choices for down loading for small game, but I have reloading manuals that show reduced loads for cartridges all the way to the .30-06 Springfield. They may go further, I just stopped looking for reduced loads when I got to the .30-06.

Because of the current and foreseeable futures situation with .22 rim fire ammunition, a number of people I know are experimenting with different .22 center fire cartridges attempting to duplicate the .22 Long Rifle round with a dependable and accurate reduced load from their center fire rifles. One individual on another forum is working at the same thing, only using the .38 Special for his reduced load in a .357 Magnum Rifle. I suspect many others are doing the same thing around the country at this very moment.

I did not mean to hijack or corrupt the thread, just commenting on the current shortage of rim rife ammunition and some solutions more or less.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfdimpaler View Post
The 22 Magnum is a completely different animal than 22 LR. It comes to us from the now-obsolete 22 WRF. Basically they took a 22 WRF and lengthened it. I've got a working 22 WRF pump--nice little rifle from about 1900. CCI makes ammo for it again.

In my mind, I'd shoot what I wanted to with 22 LR and if it can't be done with that, I'd jump up to 223 Rem.

I've also seen 22 Mag touted for CCW work. Yikes! Yes, it makes noise. Yes, it could kill someone, but there is a much better chance that the fellow on the receiving end might kill you before he starts feeling the effect.
This gun you have is probably a Winchester M1890 slide rifle. My grandfather passed one on to my cousin. I got his 12 gauge but wanted the 22 WRF. They started making WRF ammo in 1890 and a lot of people used it for a great rabbit and squirrel gun. Hang on to it, if it's like my grandfathers it was flawless. Never jammed or FTF. It could shoot 22 long, 22 short, 22 long rifle, and 22 Winchester Rimfire.

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"