BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 03-29-2016, 12:19 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

One of the firearms I have available to me when ever I need to barrow one is a bolt action 22 mag rifle..

At a couple local gun shows I have been able to find 22mag ammo, but it seems very little of it, and as or more expensive than .223 ammo...

I have had the chance to buy a couple 22mag rifles quite reasonably priced.. But I won't do it as the ammo is not available anywhere other than a gun show in this area.. No use in owning it if you can't feed it... KnowwhatImean..

My experience and 2 cents..
Old 04-03-2016, 12:16 AM

Same here, can't find the ammo. Thinking of sending in my Marlin for a barrel change to .17.

Jim
Old 03-10-2017, 09:35 PM

good news for me. I found ample stocks of .22 Mag at Cabelas and bought several boxes. Still don't know if I will keep it or not, but the ammo might make the sale easier.

jim
Old 03-10-2017, 11:21 PM
Master Pontificator

.22 Long Rifle ammo is becoming more reasonable and available in this area. I purchased a brick late last month for $30.00 + tax (6 cents/round). Not on sale and there was plenty of bricks on the shelf.

I hope the price will fall some more, but the $30/brick is some less than half of what .22 Long Rifle has been running here for the past half dozen years or more.

A box with loose .22 Long Rifle ammo was $32.00/box + tax (5.56 cents per round). I purchased the boxed ammo as opposed to saving the .044 cents per round.

Last edited by Jjr; 03-10-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:12 PM

I just bought a KelTec PMR30 and I now use it as my truck gun. 30 rounds of 22mag can put a hurting on anything. As far as price, in Louisiana it is now more readily available and cheaper than before. So I still like both rounds. Use the 22lr quiet ammo with a can for varmints in my city house and 22mag for varmints on my property in the country.

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"
Old 03-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjr View Post
.22 Long Rifle ammo is becoming more reasonable and available in this area. I purchased a brick late last month for $30.00 + tax (6 cents/round). Not on sale and there was plenty of bricks on the shelf.

I hope the price will fall some more, but the $30/brick is some less than half of what .22 Long Rifle has been running here for the past half dozen years or more.

A box with loose .22 Long Rifle ammo was $32.00/box + tax (5.56 cents per round). I purchased the boxed ammo as opposed to saving the .044 cents per round.
That last paragraph should have said: A box with 575 loose .22 Long Rifle ammo was $32.00/box + tax (5.56 cents per round). I purchased the boxed ammo as opposed to saving the .044 cents per round.

The price per round of ammo make more sense now.