BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy > Hydro/Wind/Wood/Geothermal

Hydro/Wind/Wood/Geothermal And other types of alternative energy

Old 01-19-2014, 09:00 PM

Default microhydro load leveling system?

The weather is forcing me to explore new options for my system. Extreme dry weather.
My microhydro system is a dual turbine single generator AC system, that puts out between 6KW to 14KW. (less this year with the drought) It is supplying power to two households and soon a third.
I use a full load/electronic load controller(ELC).

For example if the generator is putting out 10 KW and loads in the combined households equals 6KW then the ELC dumps 4 kw into a waste hot water tank that bleeds off into the the tailrace of the turbine, total waste of energy. If the households are using 8 KW then 2 KW bleeds off into waste. However if the combined households attempt to use more than 10 KW the frequency of the line drops and below 57 cycles the voltage regulator on the generator drops out and a brownout occurs.
Like normal house holds there is high load times and lesser load times. At mealtimes the use of electric appliances can and often browns out the system.
During the 24 hour day as much as 72 KWH may have been dumped down the tailrace in hot water.
Now what I am trying to accomplish is save this wasted power with a battery bank and add it back into the microgrid at peak load times with batteries/inverters.

here is what I am researching. I am looking to pair a Victron Quattro 5 kva/48 volt inverter/charger( http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet%20-%20Quattro%203kVA%20-%2010kVA%20-%20rev%2012%20-%20EN.pdf ) with a Balqon lithium battery storage system ESS-30 ( http://www.balqon.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/39_39ES30HD_HIQAPa.pdf ).
The quattro states it can supplement the power already available in you grid at high demand times.
Has anybody tried this kind of arrangement? 16 grand is a lot of US dollars to lay out for a new system like this.