BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations > State / Country Talk

State / Country Talk A place for folks to talk about their state- or country-related issues with fellow residents.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:39 PM

Smile Oregon or Kentucky? Where would you move?

Hey everybody! I'm new to the forum, and hope to gather and share some good information here.

My fiancee and I are looking to move out of state. We currently live in California, and the culture here is not something that either one of us "fits into" well. We want to be able to own firearms without trouble, own land, homestead, homeschool, and generally be left alone by the state and federal government. Ideally, we would like to be able to achieve a reasonable degree of independence from the external world.

The first step for us is to narrow down a destination. Both Oregon and Kentucky are looking attractive right now. They both have fairly permissive firearms laws, and a lower cost of living than California. (as do most places!) Land is available in both locations.

I've spent time reading statistics and doing research; that's not difficult. What I'm looking for is on-the-ground experience and advice from people who live or have lived in these areas. What did you love? What did you have trouble with? What are the caveats, the recommendations, etc? What are relevant things to know for someone who would like to move in and set up housekeeping? Are there any jobs?

Looking forward to some good conversation!
Old 01-27-2014, 11:51 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

My choice of those two would be Oregon. But, I am more liberal minded than most around here.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:56 PM

I'd look at Oregon myself. Little higher cost of living than Kentucky but probably a better chance of finding a job in the work force than Ky, nicer weather, etc. Hopefully it doesn't become Northern California.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:17 AM

I personally prefer Ky. I may be a lil partial as I live here. We do pretty good as far as being left alone without interference from the state, so far. Depends on what kind of job you are looking for as to whether its available in Ky or not. Several manufacturing jobs just they are in the bigger towns for the most part. Land is not too pricey around us but we are in the east. Lots of old homesteads left to rot away in our neck of the woods but I guess that happens everywhere. Good luck in your search.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 01-28-2014, 01:51 AM

StockdaleDave, that is actually a concern for us. I've noticed more and more people from CA moving up to Oregon, and neither of us wants to move up north only to see it overrun by the same morons in 10 years. I mean no offense to anyone here who does enjoy living in California, but it simply isn't for us.

Jobwise, the fiancee works in IT/computer security, and I am currently seeking employment of any kind (not so easy to find around here!). Neither of us are averse to working where we can and doing what we can, so long as we can pay the bills on time.

Liberal vs. conservative culture isn't really a big deal for either of us. I'm originally from Oklahoma, and my fiancee has lived in Washington and Virginia, so we're able to get along pretty well wherever. Personal responsibility and courtesy in a culture are more important to us than being in an area surrounded by others who hold exactly the same political or religious beliefs. I guess we qualify more as old-school libertarians... leave us alone, we'll leave you alone, and everyone can get along just fine.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Master Pontificator

twocats I have never been to Oregon. I live just north of KY and I would vote for KY. There are lots of great areas and from what I have been told some are very remote. Approach these areas with caution as the locals do not except the newbies very well. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:53 AM

Good morning everyone! My 2cents--
While there may be a lot of IT work in the Pacific NW, the days of cheap
land and cheap Hydro-Electric power are gone. The cost of living, and the amount of Interference from the gov't. are more in Oregon than KY.
Also, I would stay away from the Ring of Fire areas.

KY. like TN. is an area of fiercely independent people. Natives are likely to be stand-offish, almost clannish until they get to know you, and you have proven yourselves to be "good People" I have many friends and acquaintances here in East TN, who came from Pike County,KY. Great people, salt of the earth, and I have learned a lot from them. We have been here for 8 years, after living in FL. for 22/ We are from CT. so we are
"half-backs" Haha. But back to learning from the people who have done it for generations, I have learned canning, gardening by the signs, frugal ways, and a lot more.

Hope that helps! Good luck in your journey~!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:17 PM

KY is a beautiful State.
Independent folks there.

Oregon is beautiful place---if the progressives had moved in---well enough said.

And Idaho is one of my choices.

Job markets seem to come and go--thats the stuff one.

You sound like you can get it done where-ever you chose.
Good luck.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbemt456 View Post
I personally prefer Ky. I may be a lil partial as I live here. We do pretty good as far as being left alone without interference from the state, so far. Depends on what kind of job you are looking for as to whether its available in Ky or not. Several manufacturing jobs just they are in the bigger towns for the most part. Land is not too pricey around us but we are in the east. Lots of old homesteads left to rot away in our neck of the woods but I guess that happens everywhere. Good luck in your search.

Have a great day!

stella

you kidding Stella? Nah, you do not want to come here. Ticks are as big as bumble bees, sawbriars cutting your ankles, bunch of rednecks living here, Summers hot and humid, restaurants serving road kill. Who would want to come to Ky, real Hillbillies live in Eastern Ky. I know of one or two even in Hart county, and one for sure over in Morgantown. stay away from here, run for the hills. They have GUNS here.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:42 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocats View Post
Hey everybody! I'm new to the forum, and hope to gather and share some good information here.

My fiancee and I are looking to move out of state. We currently live in California, and the culture here is not something that either one of us "fits into" well. We want to be able to own firearms without trouble, own land, homestead, homeschool, and generally be left alone by the state and federal government. Ideally, we would like to be able to achieve a reasonable degree of independence from the external world.

The first step for us is to narrow down a destination. Both Oregon and Kentucky are looking attractive right now. They both have fairly permissive firearms laws, and a lower cost of living than California. (as do most places!) Land is available in both locations.

I've spent time reading statistics and doing research; that's not difficult. What I'm looking for is on-the-ground experience and advice from people who live or have lived in these areas. What did you love? What did you have trouble with? What are the caveats, the recommendations, etc? What are relevant things to know for someone who would like to move in and set up housekeeping? Are there any jobs?

Well, FWIW I'll add my $.02 here. Idaho, Wyoming or Montana actually fit your bill a lot better than Oregon. Kentucky is a beautiful place but remember, you don't live with the geography, you live with the people.
Any where you go, you'll find clannishness. It is the same everywhere in this world. Where I moved to, "You aren't 'one of us' till your great grandchildren graduate from our high school" because then all the rest of the "originals" will be dead by then!

The economy in Oregon is going through some rough times. On the other hand, they are MUCH more liberal there. You'll be able to euthanize grandma when she becomes a burden to the state.

The unemployment situation is NOT the same everywhere. FRankly, where I live there just isn't any. We have jobs but not enough people (or housing). A good example, I had a restaurant that I closed on 23 DEC and the three employees I had found new jobs in less that 1 week; two of them hired by the first place they applied.

A LOT of this will depend on what kind of work you are willing/able to do. If you have certain skills, you'll be busier than you may want to be. On the other hand, if you aren't willing to do certain jobs, you may have some difficulty.
//BT//
Old 01-29-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormom View Post
you kidding Stella? Nah, you do not want to come here. Ticks are as big as bumble bees, sawbriars cutting your ankles, bunch of rednecks living here, Summers hot and humid, restaurants serving road kill. Who would want to come to Ky, real Hillbillies live in Eastern Ky. I know of one or two even in Hart county, and one for sure over in Morgantown. stay away from here, run for the hills. They have GUNS here.

And you forgot all the outhouses--- bahahhahahahhaa
Old 01-30-2014, 03:05 AM

Default Oregon or Ky

A Native Oregonian here. I moved back just over 10 years ago and do not recognize the state I left after high school (1973). Have you seen the show "Portlandia"?, it pretty much says it all.

In the Metro and rural areas you don't have any more owner land rights.
The retreaded Governor won't execute convicted criminals but will help you kill granny.

Half of the usable land is owned or regulated by Federal or State agencies.

They want to close access to off road vehicles on the National Forests and BLM lands.

Our State employees are draining the coffers with big ticket early retirements and a upside down retirement plan we taxpayers still have to fund.

Rural land owners have no voice as the voting majority live in the metro areas in and around Portland.

Fishing is now being targeted as they actually have suspended some seasons.

Talk of "metering" your irrigation pump and your well water with transponders so you can pay your fair share.

Property taxes suck.

This is want comes to mind initially, didn't mean to go into a rant.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:16 AM

Default Oregon or Ky

A Native Oregonian here. I moved back just over 10 years ago and do not recognize the state I left after high school (1973). Have you seen the show "Portlandia"?, it pretty much says it all.

In the Metro and rural areas you don't have any more owner land rights.
The retreaded Governor won't execute convicted criminals but will help you kill granny.

Half of the usable land is owned or regulated by Federal or State agencies.

They want to close access to off road vehicles on the National Forests and BLM lands.

Our State employees are draining the coffers with big ticket early retirements and a upside down retirement plan we taxpayers still have to fund.

Rural land owners have no voice as the voting majority live in the metro areas in and around Portland.

Fishing is now being targeted as they actually have suspended some seasons.

Talk of "metering" your irrigation pump and your well water with transponders so you can pay your fair share.

Property taxes suck.

This is what comes to mind initially, didn't mean to go into a rant.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocats View Post

Exactly what did you find favorable with Oregon. Since you live in CA, If you move to Oregon you do not have so far to go and you may like the climate better, and it is better soil..

Like momto7kids said, it is more liberal. You have to consider that, too. We are in the Bible belt.
Walmart, Burger King etc. though look exactly the same.

Like I always say, Ky aint for sissies.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:11 PM

There is nothing wrong with the natives here to be stand offish and watching you for a while first. You can't expect them to hug you, come into my arms, you are just what I have been waiting for. They do not need you. You may need them.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormom View Post
There is nothing wrong with the natives here to be stand offish and watching you for a while first. You can't expect them to hug you, come into my arms, you are just what I have been waiting for. They do not need you. You may need them.
Amen--well said.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:02 PM

I would vote for Kentucky of those two choices, but I think you should keep looking for a while. Every place has good things and bad things, and those are not (good/bad) not the same for everyone. I loved the mountain people when I lived there--just accept them for who they are and how they live and don't try to tell them you know better ways. Ask their advice on stuff, and they will give you anything they have, even when they don't have much.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:33 PM

Default Right next door

Being from Ohio with much kin near the big river I can attest to the character and down-home hospitality of Kentuckians. They are a proud and distinct people with libertarian leanings . If you ain't hurtin' them you won't get no trouble. But if that's what yer lookin' fer ?
I have also never ate quite so well as when invited for supper. Breakfast is a most impressive display in most Kentucky homes.
Jobs are getting hard to find though after the Liar in Chiefs EPA has shut down half the power plants in Ky,Ohio,and Pa. But for just plain out and out beauty Kentucky is hard to beat. Just my opinion.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:48 PM

Wink oregun to liberal

Kentucky of the two state given. The entire far west is full of wolf,owl & tree mouse lovers. They came in from Kalifornia and wanted to live in the wilderness as long as those areas adopted every libtard rule to make them happy.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:21 PM

Default If it were me

And it ain't, I know. But as another poster said, try Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. I have lived in all three, they are cold, but live and let live. Cheap land can be found, but look for water. The only issue we had was that we weren't members of the largest church in the area and that made us the odd man out sometimes, but nothing major.
Good luck and enjoy the forum!