Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals

Animals Creatures and issues without a dedicated board.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:00 PM

Default Painless way to put your pet down?

Judging from some of the threads I have read on this forum, I am not alone in my problem. I have invested $500 in an unsuccessful attempt to keep my 12 year old female dobie going but it is clearly a losing effort. I am going to have to let her go but I don't want to have the vet do it for two reasons. One, she is terrified of the vet and his office and I don't want her last moments to be terror-filled. Two, the vet won't quote me a price to do it and that tells me that it is going to be $200-300. I just can't afford it. I could take care of it here at home with a handgun, but don't think I could do it. Does anyone know how to do it quietly and painlessly at home? Any help appreciated.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Inactive Member

Default Re: Painless way to put your pet down?

You might want to try talking to a local rancher vet. See if they will come out to your place and put her down. They are usually more mobile then dog/cat vets. I'm sorry about your dobie, I understand how hard it is. :'(
Old 09-06-2006, 06:55 PM

i don't really have any suggestions, but i just wanted to give you my sympathy. i'm really sorry about your dog. i know how hard it is to let go of a friend. i hope that you are able to find an answer. :'(
Old 09-06-2006, 06:55 PM
nancy1340

jajbellsouthnet a 12 year old Dobbie ? Wow , you must have taken really good care of her.

It's a hard thing to do whatever the circumstances are.

You might want to get a strong tranquilizer for her whether you take her to the vet or have someone put her down for you.

Bless you for taking such good care of your girl.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:30 PM

The quickest, kindest way is to shoot her in the head. Just take her for a walk, have the gun cocked so she won't hear it, wrap a towel around the gun and your hand, tell her goodbye, and shoot her. The least pain comes with the fastest death.

I am not some nut. I love my dog and have thought of this myself in case she ever gets hurt and the vet is closed. However, I live in a city in Southern California so I will probably be arrested for firing the gun if it ever comes to that.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:36 PM

Im sorry to hear about your doggie *:-[ . Depending on if you have a vet who is willing to work with you, many will drive out to your home for euthanasia . I always go this route as I'm sure my animals would like to leave this earth in my wife and my arms vs. a strange place like a vets office which they are not too familiar with. Hope all works out for you and again....I wish you the best and so sorry to hear your news.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Why on earth does your vet want so much to humanely put the dobie down? Seems like he's trying to get all he can from you. I think my vet only charges something like $35 or so, haven't had to have it done in a couple of years so I don't really remember.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:32 PM
nancy1340

I think it's around $35-$50 here.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:04 PM

The cost is from $25 to $35 to put an animal down with the vet I use and they do it very humanly with me holding the animal...

When we had to put my nanny goat down last Feb because she couldn't get over pneumonia and was awfully sick, I sat on the ground crying with her head in my lap and the vet sat beside me on the ground with tears in his eyes as well...

My sympathies about your beloved dog....
Old 09-10-2006, 12:59 PM

You certainly have my sympathy, I know how hard it is to go through what you are now experiencing.
Find a Vet. that does farm animals. Last winter I had a cow with calving problems that had to be put down, it cost $35.00 including the trip here.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:08 AM

When we put Mila (see below) down last year we only paid $45.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:13 PM
nancy1340

jajbellsouthnet , what is the situation now ? I hope you found a Vet to help you out .
Old 09-12-2006, 07:39 PM

No change right now. She still is the same dog she always was, never too tired or lazy to come to the back door as soon as she hears it open (yeah, her hearing still works) and even manages to chase the occasional critter that invades the property. The tumor which I had the vet remove is back but doesn't appear to be causing her any pain. She has a very good quality of life. As soon as it is apparent that the tumor is causing her pain, I will bite the bullet and have her put down at the vet's office, regardless of the cost. Hopelfully she will give me a tranquilizer I can give to my dog before the trip. Those who think that $35-$50 is a reasonable charge do not live within 100 miles of Orlando where $100-$200 is the going rate for putting down "yuppie" pets.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:58 PM

Here north of Atlanta the going rate is $50. That doesn't include disposal fees; you bring the animal home and bury it.

I had to put a dog down this summer. He was pretty old and somehow broke his front shoulder. He was in a fair amount of pain, so I had to put him down myself, rather than put him through the pain of a ride to the vet.

I used a .22 pistol and shot him in the back of the head. He went down very fast and I'm convinced he didn't feel any pain. It wasn't an easy thing to do, but it was best for the dog.

You might get a second opinion from another vet; but, it seems like they might be hesitant to hand out what is probably a controlled substance that would allow you to put your dog to sleep at home.

There's no easy answers.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:54 PM
nancy1340

jajbellsouthnet , you might try and call a few vets about 25 miles from Orlando and see if you can find a cheaper one . Many times smaller towns surrounding a large city will be cheaper .
Old 09-18-2006, 11:02 AM

Shooting, in my opinion, would be the easiest way for a dog to die. Don't do this, though, unless you have experience killing animals, and I guess you don't have experience or you wouldn't ask.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:18 PM

You have my sympathies. Putting down a beloved pet is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Probably going to a small town 25-50 miles away would be the thing to do, and it would save a lot of money. Shooting your family member would be hard on you. I wasn't able to do it.
jim
Old 10-01-2006, 03:03 PM

Couldn't put it off any longer. She had to be euthanized. I could not bring myself to shoot a friend so I spent $110 to have the vet inject her. Worse part of it all is that according to this vet, the previous vet really botched the previous surgery and only contributed to the problem. "Professionals"!
I hope I never need open-heart surgery! The only safe thing is to do it yourself. The pain you feel when you loose one makes you wonder why you should have pets. Their lives are soooooo short! This one was 12 years old and it was still a short time for a great dog.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:51 PM
nancy1340

I have kept a eye on this thread knowing you'd have to do it soon. I wish I had words to comfort you but there are none.

You did the right thing.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:31 PM
riverdog

Sorry for the loss of your friend. Never easy. I will soon have to have my little CHICA ,10 yr old chihuahua put down. She will be terrified of going to the vet but I just cannot bring myself to shoot her. Worked it over in my mind and just cain't get up to the prospect. I have put other animals down, mine and requests from friends. But this one is different somehow. Trouble is she is terrified of strangers totally. Anyway....they will always be with us.