BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > Sports & Games

Sports & Games Baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, lacrosse, bowling, swimming, badminton, skiing, ping-pong, skateboarding...if it's a sport or game, this is the place to talk about it.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:35 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default 2014 Winter Olympics....

OK..... I'll be the first to start it... Does anyone else like to follow the Olympics ???

I especially like the winter Olympics... Can't say I'm too much of a fan of some of the new games... Like the free style snow board and stuff like that... Too much like skate board and surfer dude type things made into Olympic events.... I like to watch some of the hockey.... Ski jumping.... Bob sled.... Luge... stuff like that..... Like the biathlon, only you never hear about, let alone see any of that competition....

A number of years ago, I had kids in Firearms Safety Class that were members of the local biathlon club... I often wonder how far some of those kids were able to go in the system to be able to train and compete at the Olympic level.... For 12 year olds, the kids in this program could really shoot well... It was fun to have them in class...

Anyone else looking forward to the Olympics ?? I hope Russia has good luck with this....

Enjoy
Old 02-03-2014, 11:58 PM

I love them--summer or winter.
I will be watching the figure skating and the Hockey teams if they'll show them.

I admire kids that work their butts off and go on to be champions.
Aint hanging on the corner doing dope are they?

And I would love to visit Russia---such a beautiful place.
But alas!!
Old 02-04-2014, 12:35 AM

I was lucky in that I was part of the task force that covered the Utah winter games in 2002. That was the time everyone was freaked over security after 9/11. Flying over SLC and the mountain events was one of the highlights of my career in the military.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:12 PM

"I would love to visit Russia"......
Boy you got that right..... I too would like that....

I have worked with several people from different parts of west and south Russia... Very good machinists and people... I also have known several couple that went to Russia to adopt kids... VERY interesting stories of places and things they saw while there...

Also watched several travel shows, history shows, and the food shows of trips to Russia... Would be interesting to see... Besides growing up in a part of the country populated by immigrants of "Germans from Russia" (Volksdeutsch)

(I know enough Russian words to get lunch, a kiss, or a slap in the face )

Enjoy
Old 02-06-2014, 03:08 PM

I too prefer the Winter Olympics over the Summer events. I like watching Biathlon and Curling more than the others. I also enjoy luge, ski jumping, bobsledding and the half-pipe. Hockey and all other snowboarding & skiing events usually bore me pretty quickly.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 PM

One of the few times I wish I had cable/dish instead of old fashioned antennea,which only gives me what that want--ratsssssssssss!!

Wyo---the building alone would keep me busy---beautiful and they survived battles and neglect.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:37 PM

THE GAMES HAVE STARTED...... They are 7 hours ahead of me here in CST.... So at 7pm local time here they started by showing the womens snowboard.... They are grinding hand rails, jumps, (no upside down turns on jumps) Supposed to be figure skating also....

Funny thing.... My mom, who was in her late 80s, couldn't walk, but watched figure skating.... And was as knowledgeable and critical a judge as any in the world.... She knew all the moves, and how to judge them... And would argue with the TV......

At my size and girth, I figured I'd be the worlds fastest luge rider.....
The head first type event.... If I'm going to crash, break my neck right away and not suffer.....

When will we get to see the opening ceremonies ????
Old 02-07-2014, 02:43 AM

News is just saying the opening cerimonies will be 7pm local time tomorrow night... (Friday)....

Seeking about luge...... News showed some local guy who builds a 200' luge course on the hill in his backyard.... Tunnels, high banked turns, and it spits riders out onto the frozen swamp at the bottom of the hill... All on plastic sleds.... He says every kid in the neighborhood rides it.....

I would like to ride that....
Old 02-07-2014, 02:45 AM

Singles and pairs skating tonite--wow the Russian skaters kicking some booty!!!!

Yes---Opening tomorrow nite---we could watch them togather!!! :But its too cold at your house!!
Old 02-08-2014, 11:46 PM

OUTSTANDING....... The opening ceremonies anyway.... In the BIG auditorium, they had a lot of back drops, props come through on wires from overhead.... Had a big presentation that showed a lot of centuries of Russian history.... Only one hardware glitch.... One of the snow flakes that was to open up to the Olympic symbol..... (top right) didn't open when it should have the first time...

Otherwise I get a big kick out watching the competitors come into the stadium... Team from Bermuda in Bermuda shorts of course.... Team from Jamaica..... Only 4 competitors... One bob sled load.... Cool Runnings, mon...

A couple countries only had one competitor.... Didn't catch what event....

I got up out of my chair and stood when the American team came in.....
And stood when they lit the torch.....

It was great....

This evening they are doing snow board..... When snowboard first started I thought what are they thinking.... My kid did snowboard during high school and college trip to ski areas.... I would see him come down the mountains and sweat his butt off when he came into the building.... So I guess I think about snow boarding..... Why not..... It is the way the world has evolved....

They are also doing ice dancing tonight.... I never was on ice skates.... Had enough trouble keeping from breaking my neck on roller skates... Fun to watch....

What is your favorite... ??
Old 02-09-2014, 12:21 PM

I love the Ice Skaters----so beautiful.
Although I do see abit of favoritism.

But NBC hasnt spent much time on them.

BUT--its almost time for the Jamaican Bobsledge team----I love these guys---they practiced in the sand--amazing.

I love the Americans additude---We got the best of the best--

Got cold chills when our American kiddos came in--WOW!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:50 PM

Boy that older Russian guy is good--BUT American Jason Brown is unbeliveble,beautiful--skates to the crowd and is just so dam good.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:08 PM

Waiting for the ski jump, luge, and bobsled. I feel the need for speed!
Old 02-10-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockdaleDave View Post
Waiting for the ski jump, luge, and bobsled. I feel the need for speed!
OMG---down hill--70mph in a SECOND?
What the hell are they thinking?

And some of those jump offs---makes me have a serious pucker problem.:
Old 02-10-2014, 03:06 AM

HOLY FLEXIBLE FLYER..... BAT MAN.....

Tonight they are doing the Luge.....
One man singles, feet first.......
I think when they lie down on that little sled they are steering with there legs pushing on the arms that stick up from the runners out front....

I thought..... I could do that....
Until they said these cats were doing 78 mph......
Besides, lying down like that, I wouldn't be able to see over my belly....
Now..... If you were to crash on one of those sleds.... The last thing that would go through you mind....... Is one of your ankles.....

Then again...... What the hell..... Go for it....

Enjoy....
Old 02-10-2014, 12:29 PM

The girls on Snow Boards--literally fly when they come off those ramps---one fell on her head--I heard her helmet crack---and they say football is dangerous.

Tonite is the ladies single skates---last night the pairs dance skating was unreal---these guys lifting and spinning the ladies----beautiful and scary.
This is the one time I wish I had cable----so I could see everything instead of a few hours of what NBC puts out.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:51 PM

Well rats---all I got today was men men men skiing some crazy course--instead of getting the lady's hockey game--they beat the Sweds--9-zip--dad-gumit--at least that'd be interesting.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:09 PM

VERY interesting day.......
For the first time in a VERY long time, I watched a biathlon event.. It was a kind of sprint event.... Don't know all the variations of course length, and how the events are started... That being en-mass, or staggered start etc....

About 10 years ago, I had kids in Firearms Safety Class that were members of the local Biathlon Club.... And the 22 rifles these kids had to practice with were maybe another 10 year old technology.... In there day these were Olympic grade rifles, about $5,000 for a rifle and about 1/2 of that price would be the sights.... At that time 22 ammo was about 3 cents each... Olympic grade ammo was 13 cents a shot.... I got to fire about $10 worth of that ammo at that time.... That was most likely the finest shooting 22 I ever held....

News about the team from Canada.........
Molson beer of Canada has provided vending machines in the buildings where the Canadian competitors are living the dispense beer..... Free beer....... All the competitors have to do is swipe there Canadian pass port and get a free beer.....

What can you say...... ???? .... Go Canada.....
Old 02-12-2014, 01:22 AM

Wow the Russians pairs' skaters set a record for points--they are just outstanding.

And watched the ladies luge---100lb. girl in a tin can on her back running 80mph in a half moon tunnel?

thats like driving a Yugo in Houston traffic on Int.10 at 4 in the afternoon,at 45 mph---its gonna leave a mark is you wreck.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
Wow the Russians pairs' skaters set a record for points--they are just outstanding.

And watched the ladies luge---100lb. girl in a tin can on her back running 80mph in a half moon tunnel?

thats like driving a Yugo in Houston traffic on Int.10 at 4 in the afternoon,at 45 mph---its gonna leave a mark is you wreck.
===
I watched part of that.... The American girl got a silver, I think....

That is what I said... If they were doing 80mph, at my weight I'd be doing 200mph.... And again, the last thing that would go through my mind would be one or both ankles.... (ish)....

Enjoy...