BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 02-23-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
What most of us don't have is volcanic soil rich in sulfur.
So if the govt ... extends those controls to sulfur........
Know anybody with contacts in the natural gas biz? Plenty of sulfur scrubbed out of that stuff. I have some bagged used to deter certain creepy crawlies. It's really cheap stuff.
Nevertheless, I favor the crossbow idea... can aim it and I can't shoot a bow worth a hoot.

oeb
Old 02-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Recognizing the fact that there will probably no return to the good old days of abundant ammo stocks, what small caliber ML flintlock or other weapon would be an effecient substitute for the .22LR? The .36 ML looks like a viable alternative, but there could well be others.

Any suggestions?

jim
.17HMR seems to have ammo available.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:41 PM

Default more airgun stuff

Here is an interesting airgun link:
http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

I have been trying to buy one of these for three years, but Dennis's principals keep getting in the way. . His airguns are so popular that he distributes them on a lottery basis. One of these years my ship will come in.

I own several air rifles and pistols, among them a Sheridan .20 cal from the seventies:
http://ujays.net/sheridan.html

and a more modern Benjamin .22 cal Discovery found here amongst others:
http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pcp

They are quiet and deadly within their range:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb0YPabIFd0

paul
Old 03-23-2014, 08:00 PM

I wouldn't get in too big of a hurry. 22LR will become more available now that the other rounds are catching up. There will be fits and stutters as hoarders re-stock but it will come around.

I feel good enough about the future that I sold a bit to a very good friend of mine. It was a cash sale plus naming rights to his next kid.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
I wouldn't get in too big of a hurry. 22LR will become more available now that the other rounds are catching up. There will be fits and stutters as hoarders re-stock but it will come around.

I feel good enough about the future that I sold a bit to a very good friend of mine. It was a cash sale plus naming rights to his next kid.
I'm thinking this is good advice. 22 ammo will be on the shelves again this summer. The thing we all need to do when it comes back is keep about 2000 rounds set back for an emergency situation.

If you want something now buy a rifle in .17 HMR. It's also a rimfire that out performs 22 LR and 22 Mag. That would be my choice for a .22 replacement. Ammo is available right now.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:54 PM

Well, I have a .22 Mag rifle that is a great shooter, but no ammo. I wish I'd gotten it in .17, but didn't. Now, I'll have to sell the .22 and purchase a .17 as a replacement.

I tried all the .177 ammo avail in my son's Gamo and the only thing that will shoot decent is the gold plated stuff, and that is 6.00 per hundred, but does save a drive to the range for target practice. Obviously, the Gamo isn't a great gun, but it should shoot better than 3" groups at 15 yds. Is there any normal grade ammo that shoots well in say a 2-300.00 air rifle?

I'm considering casting my own from pure lead since the commercial stuff is garbage in the accuracy dept.
Any suggestions for an accurate rifle in the 2-300.00 range. I don't want to make several purchases to get a decent one. It only needs to be as accurate as a normal .22 at 25 yds.

jim
Old 04-18-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I'm considering casting my own from pure lead since the commercial stuff is garbage in the accuracy dept.
I'd keep tryng different pellets.
I've tried some that would hardly stay on an 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper, while others from the same gun would group under an inch

There are hundreds of different ones available:

http://www.photosbykev.com/wordpress...pelletdata.htm

http://www.photosbykev.com/wordpress...llet-database/

If you do buy a 17 cal rifle, do NOT buy Remington semi auto
They have been recalled and are not safe to use

Last edited by Bearfootfarm; 04-18-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Well, I have a .22 Mag rifle that is a great shooter, but no ammo. I wish I'd gotten it in .17, but didn't. Now, I'll have to sell the .22 and purchase a .17 as a replacement.

I tried all the .177 ammo avail in my son's Gamo and the only thing that will shoot decent is the gold plated stuff, and that is 6.00 per hundred, but does save a drive to the range for target practice. Obviously, the Gamo isn't a great gun, but it should shoot better than 3" groups at 15 yds. Is there any normal grade ammo that shoots well in say a 2-300.00 air rifle?

Any suggestions for an accurate rifle in the 2-300.00 range. I don't want to make several purchases to get a decent one. It only needs to be as accurate as a normal .22 at 25 yds.

jim
What kind of WMR do you have ? I am looking for a Marlin 1894M.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:06 PM

Default air rifles

I've found the 60 to 100 dollar range rifles shoot about as good as the Gamos. Crossman makes a fair rifle here in New Yorkisstan at their Bloomfield facility. http://www.crosman.com/

I'd much prefer a single pump rifle than the multi pump due to sore hands. I have a pistol multipump Crosman American classic .177 shoots real nice but I hate pumping it. It will not shoot a bb only pellets.

I know their are many manufactures making all kinds of 50 cal stuff. One of the most accurate air gun I've ever shot was a scoped RWS in .177. Head shots on pigeons at 50 to 75 feet +. Inside a airplane hangar.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:05 PM

Quackenbush 457 outlaw air rifle.

Shoots same cast lead bullets as a 45-70 (ca. 400 gr) and will take down a Bison
Old 01-01-2015, 05:23 PM

I'm surprised at how many shooters and hunters havent put ammo away before it became hard to get. Over time, I was buying a brick at wal mart every couple months. The shortage hasnt affected me much, and was pretty painless to stock up a bit over time. I do believe supplies will catch up in time. At this point, many of the people that used to buy ammo on the way to the range now buy all they see, as well as al the new gun onwers in the past couple years or so. Wholesale prices have gone up some, but nothing like the scalpers market would indicate. In time, it should settle down. The ammo companies are running 24/7 in many cases. I believe CCI mentioned in a release a while back that they were making a couple million rounds/day. There will have to be a saturation point at some time.

I shoot extra-light loads in 30-30 and other rifle calibers. I shoot small game and grouse, and rattlesnakes with them. I slew a very impressive specimen of a bull mouse once also, he was poaching my bird seed. I use .310-.315" round balls loaded over 3 grs Unique or Red Dot powder. I expand the case neck with a Lyman M expander die and gently crimp the major diameter of the ball just into the case mouth. I use a tiny tuft of dacron to keep the powder near the primer, they are more consistent with the dacron in my experience. They make about as much noise as a 22, and dont tear up small game. I load similar loads in 348 and 45-70, with slightly more powder. They both work great. I single load them into the chamber of my Winchesters, usually leaving the magazines loaded with regular full power loads for other uses.

Primers are about $32/1000, with 3.5 gr charges, you get 2000 loads from a pound of pistol powder (about $25-$30/lb). You can cast your own lead round balls or very light bullets, or buy suitable size buckshot in bulk for very reasonable prices, or buy Hornady round balls in 100 rd boxes for more. I lube them with Lee Liquid Alox lube before loading. You can do the math, they are fairly cheap to load, and a lot of fun to shoot.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:28 PM

By pure dumb blind luck, I bought a "brick" of quality SK Plus .22LR just before the most recent gun grabber/ammo scare.
I keep a variety of other .22LR ammo on hand. Not due to the ammo scare, but I just like trying different ammo types and manufacture types.

2014 the .22 air rifle saw the most use in culling field mice, which are really rats, and squirrels.
I did a lot of target shooting with the air rifle too, as I can shoot of the back deck at soup cans, or other targets without bothering the neighbors, or the need for ear protection.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Recognizing the fact that there will probably no return to the good old days of abundant ammo stocks, what small caliber ML flintlock or other weapon would be an effecient substitute for the .22LR? The .36 ML looks like a viable alternative, but there could well be others.

Any suggestions?

jim
crackbarrel pellet gun, the crackbarrels used a spring piston system to create air pressure, the better ones have comparable velocity and knockdown power to a 22, some fire 22 caliber size projectiles (22 hunting pellets, as opposed to the other common size of .177). a tin with 500 rounds can be bought for $5. good for plinking though you have to work the barrel each shot to reload (no semi auto), no noise either. i have taken squirrels, chipmunks, crows, and woodchucks easily with them. a guy i know on the Rez claims that his cousin uses one to jack deer out west (shot in the eye the pellet guns can kill a deer), i know people who take geese with them too (note that while they do it, its not legal, just mentioning as an example that its powerful enough). with a $200 invetment you could get a crack barrel pellet rifle with 4000 rounds of ammo.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
crackbarrel pellet gun, the crackbarrels used a spring piston system to create air pressure, the better ones have comparable velocity and knockdown power to a 22, some fire 22 caliber size projectiles (22 hunting pellets, as opposed to the other common size of .177). a tin with 500 rounds can be bought for $5. good for plinking though you have to work the barrel each shot to reload (no semi auto), no noise either. i have taken squirrels, chipmunks, crows, and woodchucks easily with them. a guy i know on the Rez claims that his cousin uses one to jack deer out west (shot in the eye the pellet guns can kill a deer), i know people who take geese with them too (note that while they do it, its not legal, just mentioning as an example that its powerful enough). with a $200 invetment you could get a crack barrel pellet rifle with 4000 rounds of ammo.
The cheap, easy availability of pellets delivered to your door, no need for ear protection makes air rifles very addicting.
I spent nearly a grand on mine, between optics, targets, the rifles themselves, pellets, mounts and rings, slings, etc.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:17 PM

I need to take a closer look at the air rifles.

I looked at a couple in the gun shop last fall - both were break barrel type. Becuase of my RA I would not be able to pump it reliably. Will look again at the Co2 rifles - need to look at the cost of the cylinders along with the pellets. Need to compare that to my 22's which I can now buy for $.07.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
I'd keep tryng different pellets.
I've tried some that would hardly stay on an 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper, while others from the same gun would group under an inch

There are hundreds of different ones available:

http://www.photosbykev.com/wordpress...pelletdata.htm

http://www.photosbykev.com/wordpress...llet-database/

If you do buy a 17 cal rifle, do NOT buy Remington semi auto
They have been recalled and are not safe to use
Just some fyi a .17 HMR and a .17 are different.
I have a Savage .17 HMR (Hornady Magnum Round).
Old 01-02-2015, 06:26 PM

Not to hijack the thread but another good alternative is a slingshot.
I've seen some pretty powerful ones that would harvest rabbits and squirrels.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:53 PM

Question Delete

Delete this post.

Last edited by trailtrecker; 01-02-2015 at 07:57 PM. Reason: delete
Old 01-02-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrecker View Post
Just some fyi a .17 HMR and a .17 are different.
I have a Savage .17 HMR (Hornady Magnum Round).
The HMR is the one that was recalled, both guns and ammo

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...ll-notice.aspx

Quote:
17 hmr ammunition and model 597 17 hmr semi-automatic . do not use remington 17 hmr ammunition in semi-automatic firearms. do not use the remington model 597
There are at least 3 different 17 cal factory cartridges, and a few wildcats
Old 01-03-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
I need to take a closer look at the air rifles.

I looked at a couple in the gun shop last fall - both were break barrel type. Becuase of my RA I would not be able to pump it reliably. Will look again at the Co2 rifles - need to look at the cost of the cylinders along with the pellets. Need to compare that to my 22's which I can now buy for $.07.
If you're serious about shooting an air rifle, you might want to look at the PCP's
(Pre Charged Pneumatics)

They use a compressor and an air tank instead of springs or having to be pumped.

They cost more up front, but offer high power and multiple shots
There are even a few that can use the air tank or CO2 interchangeably

http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Air_guns...umatic_PCP/155