BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 01-06-2015, 01:52 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I do not miss the 22 rimfire much at all, I don't know what I ever really needed it for.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrecker View Post
Not to hijack the thread but another good alternative is a slingshot.
I've seen some pretty powerful ones that would harvest rabbits and squirrels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0

I recently purchased the Scout 2nd Gen. slingshot and love it. I have a long limestone drive with plenty of ammo lol .

Now y'all know I'm crazy, but it works, accurate and quiet .
Old 02-15-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacalait50 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0

I recently purchased the Scout 2nd Gen. slingshot and love it. I have a long limestone drive with plenty of ammo lol .

Now y'all know I'm crazy, but it works, accurate and quiet .
Sacalait, I'll join you in "crazy." I've been killing squirrels with a home made, surgical tube powered one since I was knee high to a pup-- and I'm gettin' very ripe now. I do carry a Savage 24 on a sling with me now, however, just in case.

oeb
Old 02-16-2015, 03:16 AM

Envious of those skilled with the wrist rocket. Would seem like a really good skill to have, but haven't touched one since my Father gave me a very stern lecture about not shooting the neighbors treehouse with rotten plums.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:54 AM

Read this thread a while back and it got me looking at air rifles.

I have enough .22LR ammo to last a while, and last year I bought a Savage .17HMR that I really like. The .17HMR ammo is readily available, and at $12 for 50 rounds it's not overly expensive to shoot.

But the air rifle interests me because I could use it in places where I might use the .22LR. Plus with the air gun I could set up on my covered back deck with the target against the fence in my back yard. No need to go somewhere else to shoot.

Last week at my local pawn shop I noticed a couple air rifles. So I wrote down the info off the guns and went home to search the internet for info. One was a Gamo, which isn't too bad. The other was a Beeman, but it was the China made Beeman, not the one made in Spain. I realize this is the cheaper model, but after a lot of reading it sounded like it wasn't that bad for the money. The thing I liked about the Beeman was, it was .22 instead of .17. I'll probably stop back this week and see if I can get it cheap enough. Who knows if I can work a good enough deal maybe I'll try and get both of them.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
The thing I liked about the Beeman was, it was .22 instead of .17.
The 22 cal has a big advantage over the 17's when it comes to killing anything larger than a squirrel.

If you try enough different pellets, odds are good you will find a few that give good accuracy as well as good terminal perfomance.

Don't be discouraged if the first ones you try aren't accurate.

My Stoeger X 10 will shoot quarter sized 25 yd groups with some brands, and will barely keep them on a standard sheet of paper with others.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:17 PM

I think the thing I will really like is the ease in shooting.

As I said I have a covered deck that looks out over my backyard, and I'd say the far fence is maybe 20 to 25 yards. This spring I want to put a half wall on the outside edge of the deck which will allow me to install some counter top I have and turn my grill into a built in grill. I figured with the counter top if I wanted I could just eat out on the deck by the grill rather then go inside.

Well with a nice solid counter top I could set up for shooting off the deck. Plenty of room for the spotting scope to check for accuracy, and all under cover in case it's raining. Plus it's just a couple steps from the back door so I could do it all in my house slippers.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:53 PM

Well I bought the .22 Beeman today.

Told the guy at the pawn shop $150 was too much for the China made Beeman. The one made in Spain maybe but not the one made in China. Told him Wal Mart sold the China Beeman with 2 barrels for $99. Of course that is with a composite stock and this one had the wood stock. He looked it up quick and said actually it's $98. He asked what I'd give and I said $60.

So for $60 I got my Beeman. Plus whoever had it had changed out the cheaper scope and put on a Center Point scope. Looks to me like the cheapest Center Point at Wal Mart that looks like this is $50. Have to check in to that more later.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:09 PM

You'll be lucky if the scope lasts very long, but otherwise it sounds like a good deal
Old 02-18-2015, 05:12 PM

Don't know much about them, but I'm guessing it's an upgrade over the scope that comes with the rifle. I've heard almost everyone has to get a new scope.

It's a little noisy, and shoots a bit high. But it's only about 11 outside with a strong NW wind, so sighting in will have to wait a few days.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Don't know much about them, but I'm guessing it's an upgrade over the scope that comes with the rifle. I've heard almost everyone has to get a new scope.
Spring/piston rifles are harder on scopes than mormal firearms due to the shock and vibrations created by the spring hitting the cylinder, in addition to recoil forces

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a scope that will take the stress though, and some brands will hold up even if they don't specify they are rated for airguns:

http://www.airgundepot.com/airgunscopes.html
Old 02-18-2015, 11:47 PM

Default air guns

I purchased a Crosman Optimus .177, works really well without a scope, good iron sights, easy on the wallet. Good reviews on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Optimu...rosman+optimus
Old 02-18-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeb View Post
Sacalait, I'll join you in "crazy." I've been killing squirrels with a home made, surgical tube powered one since I was knee high to a pup-- and I'm gettin' very ripe now. I do carry a Savage 24 on a sling with me now, however, just in case.

oeb
Are, get a basic bow and practice a LOT ! LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk
Old 02-19-2015, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Well I bought the .22 Beeman today.

Told the guy at the pawn shop $150 was too much for the China made Beeman. The one made in Spain maybe but not the one made in China. Told him Wal Mart sold the China Beeman with 2 barrels for $99. Of course that is with a composite stock and this one had the wood stock. He looked it up quick and said actually it's $98. He asked what I'd give and I said $60.

So for $60 I got my Beeman. Plus whoever had it had changed out the cheaper scope and put on a Center Point scope. Looks to me like the cheapest Center Point at Wal Mart that looks like this is $50. Have to check in to that more later.
Nice negotiating.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:42 AM

Well I've bought my share of guns from him and we get along pretty good. He gives me a bunch of crap when I come in and give him a bunch back. Nothing like going in a pawn shop and asking which one of you guys is suppose to be Chumlee. I bought my .17HMR from him about a year ago. I told him I'd seen it for $20 less at another place and he just matched it, so he treats me pretty good.

Actually he treats all of his customers that buy guns from him right. If you're going in there just looking for ammo when it's hard to come by, he probably won't have any. But if you buy guns from him and are looking for ammo, he usually has some tucked away somewhere.

I almost had to put the Beeman back on the shelf. We started talking about the .223 ammo deal and I said maybe I'd hold off on buying a .223 for a predator gun since everyone will panic and buy up all the .223 ammo.

He said he just took a .22/250 Savage in on trade, and would sell it to me for $279. I thought about it for a bit but said I'd wait a while. Won't really need a predator gun till next fall, so I can hold off on that one for a while.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:50 PM
Master Pontificator

I have never really been a fan of air guns, but I have an old .22 caliber Benjamin pump, something like the model 392, which was strictly for pests. Having suffered a heart-attack in 2012 I can not pump if but three or four pumps now so I gave it to the youngest daughter for use again pests.

My BIL purchased one of the Benjamin Trail NPT .22 caliber air rifles in '13. It is not a top quality air gun by any means, but he has killed rabbits and squirrels with his. Since the cocking effort only requires about 30 pounds break-over force, I have been considering the purchase of one similar to his. I have no desire to spend several thousand dollars on an air gun, but they certainly serve a useful purpose, and are quite, which can be their greatest advantage of all.

Although some of the higher powered air guns could be a suitable replacement for a .22 LR, I personally would think a reduced load in the .22 Hornet would be a much better substitution for the .22 rifle. Just my two cents, for what its worth.