Default Skinning Knives

Looking for a good skinning knife. My budget is around $20-$40
Old 02-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Kershaw makes the best knives I've seen in that price range:
http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce...r=SoldQuantity
Old 02-14-2014, 12:24 PM

I agree. Kershaw makes wonderful knives. I have a Chicago Cutlery knife that has skinned out countless moose over the past 20+ years that holds an edge really well also, but I don't know that their quality is still what it once was.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:49 PM

The only skinning I have to deal with now is deciding whether to skin the frozen chicken breasts that are on sale or not....

But in the day, like said, I have some older Chicago Cutlery kitchen knives that work well... I think if I were to buy knives now, I would go with the higher end Chicago brand options.....

I have a couple of them from garage sales and thrift stores that are wonderful knives.... And the handles stand up better than the wood ones do from repeated trips through the dishwasher....

My field knife is an old model Old Timer folder.... And a small Estwing campers hatchet, when the quarry was larger game....

Good luck
Old 02-17-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offtheradar View Post
I really like the Buck Skinner, $50 , but lifetime warranty.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offtheradar View Post
Hard to beat the russle greenriver.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:00 PM

Here lately to skin, and field dress small game, rabbits, chickens and like size animals, I have used a folding lock blade pocket knife that takes the double ended "sheet rock" utility knife type blades.

It is kinda heavy and bulky to carry. But it is easy to use and easily and quickly changes blades to a new sharp blade end. Not a one tool does everything type tool, nothing is but very handy.

What large animal processing that has had to be done here I left to a pack of young guys to do.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:45 AM

Default Old Hickory Butcher Knife

Go to a flea market and look for a Old Hickory butcher knife. I bought one years ago for a dollar. It's probably the cheapest solution to your skinning needs. It is my main knife for all my skinning, butchering needs. I have two that have been with me for years and they are easy to sharpen and stay sharp with a Steel Hone needed only once in a while to re-sharpen them.

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"
Old 01-29-2017, 04:02 PM

All of the above are good. Another inexpensive knife is the Schrade "sharpfinger", we dressed out an entire deer without it needing a touch up. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:02 AM
Master Pontificator

Just out of curiosity, was that a USA made Sharp Finger or one of the new China Sharp Finger imports? I have a USA made Sharp Finger & a Lil' Finger (also USA made) which I actually like better.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:46 PM

Smile

Surprise on surprise it was made in China. To tell the truth I was astounded that it held up that well. We had our diamond stones ready but they weren't needed. I heard somewhere that Buck knives are made overseas now, don't know if it's true or not. I've had Buck knives so hard that they were a bear to get sharp, of course that was back before diamond stones. I've never had a "Little finger" but they looked they could be handy. We used to buy a lot of stuff from "Smokey Mountain". I've carried a Case stockman for over 60 years, when one starts getting pretty worn I pass it along to one of the boys and get a new one.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:44 PM

I get a "Russel" catalog occasionally, and it seems that a lot of their named knives are made in China also--apparently they have found a good manufacture to work with. Some high end Buck knives are still made in the US , but most are made overseas. Case, near as I can tell are still American made, as are a few other high end "customs". Like Russel's catalog since it is up front as to country of manufacture.

JVC
Old 03-27-2017, 11:49 PM
Master Pontificator

Grumpa, I like the Lil' Finger Schrade knife better than most of the knives I have.

Back a few years ago at one of the local gun shows I was attending, there was a knife booth and I was looking for a small 2 or 3 blade pocket knife at the time. The booths banner proudly proclaimed, "We only sell USA made knives!", so I walked on over. The wife was with me and after we had walked over, I picked up a nice little Buck knife, opened it up and the blade was stamped "CHINA." The lady at the booth asked, "If I wanted the knife?" My response was, "I don't believe you read the sign." Hers was, "Huuuh!" She did not understand, what I was saying, so I let her enjoy her ignorant bliss.

I have noticed a lot of Chinese imports now have a small stick-on tag saying "made in China" rather than the actual product being stamped "China." For those things which change hands, the norm will become, No USA stamp, strongly SUSPECT it was made in China.

I think Buck has brought back much of its overseas operations, but there are probably still some made over there. It's hard to stay competitive without some foreign help these days, but I hope our President can provide some tax incentives for those companies which keep their manufacturing here or tariff the imports to make the foreign manufactured goods cost as much or more than the domestic goods.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:20 PM

russel green river has worked well for well over onehundred years
Old 07-25-2017, 11:07 PM
Master Pontificator

Thumbs up Buck Ranger 113 Skinning Knife

I own several Buck Knives, and like everything there is about a Buck, except sharpening one. The youngest daughter already had a Buck 110 folding lock blade, but for Christmas '15 she received a fixed blade Buck Ranger 113 Skinning Knife. I like it so well, I may just have to add one to my own set of knives.