BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:43 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Bargain school supplies

The Walmart I shop at has several plastic storage tubs by both front entrances that have marked down items in them. I've found quite a few things to put away for the granddaughters next school year. I picked up these things today: seven packages of five mechanical pencils today for a quarter each; one cardboard folder with pockets, same price; a pair of Fiskars scissors for fifty cents; four plastic rulers at a quarter each; five plastic 3x5 card boxes with clear dividers, $1 each; two packages of 4 glue sticks at a quarter each; two plastic zipper pencil holders for a quarter each; and a Locker Mater magnetic pencil and note holder for fifty cents. I also found 14 different advertising ball point pens that I've collected at different expo's downtown that I can pass on to the girls. Last Thursday I found a box of pencils for $3.99 at the Goodwill downtown, I'm not sure how many are in it but along with the mechanical ones I think they'll have enough to last all of next school year.

Has anyone else seen any bargains like this?
Old 02-17-2014, 11:10 PM

I went to Ranch and Home yesterday and they had a row of tables loaded with stuff 50% off.
I bought a Chicago Cutlery carving knife and fork for $5.30.
When I go to an office supply store like Office Depot or Staples I always go to their closeout shelves.
We bought ink pens for $2 a box of 24.
I haven't seen an office supply place that didn't have one.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:14 PM

MYR,
Walmart I was in
last week had their school supplies out.

I bought long very good bread knife at thrift for $1 and an Amazing knife for .50. Cuts very good. I have knife set and add to the butcher and bone with thrift. About same grade as Chicago. I know I bought older son a chef's knife he wanted when he cooked in restaurant. He did not have his own set of knives. He has used that for years and now has a Chinese clever he really likes. I had a chance to buy a couple of them cheap. I still like the chefs knife. It has been wonderful to have good knives to cook with. Makes it easier. Rose, guess you have your knives from when you went to cooking school. Good carving knife and fork is great. It is worth. When I went to knife store to get son that knife I did not know brands and I just told the guy what I needed and had to be good.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:04 PM

I understand many parents are ordering online for school supplies now.

WM had had them out here for weeks---by August Christmas will be in Garden Center here.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:48 PM

I bought school supplies last week at WalMart for myself and I haven't been in school in years, every year I still love to buy them though. I guess it's from not having much growing up. I will get things that I need during the year but when it's time for school to start, I'm ready for the school supplies.

MYR, you got a better deal than I did though.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:15 PM

I have more month than money this month. I need stamps but not school supplies. Can't think of anything I could need. I buy copy paper by ream and use to buy by 5 ream box.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture View Post
I bought school supplies last week at WalMart for myself and I haven't been in school in years, every year I still love to buy them though. I guess it's from not having much growing up. I will get things that I need during the year but when it's time for school to start, I'm ready for the school supplies.

MYR, you got a better deal than I did though.
Isnt that something--I too love to browse all the bins of school supplies.
Got composition notebooks for 5cts apiece.

I remember the ole Indian tablets and #2 pencils.
We still had ink pens and was amazed at ballpoints---now kids are using computers instead of books/pen and paper.

I think they missed out on alot.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:16 PM

I have seen the lists teachers send home for the kids supplies now. How many bags of snacks and so on.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:23 PM

I also go through the Walmart school supplies...

Buy the #2 pencils that I use out in the garage/shop...
Single subject wire bound note books that I use for a lot of things...
Keep one in each car so I can write down things as I need to...
Graph paper.... I use a lot of graph paper... Making drawings of things I want to build, measurements, plans for stuff I want to do...

Also bought a gallon size zip lock bag of ball point pens at the thrift store.. There must be about 200 total there... Part of the key to this issue with ball points is....... When the pen starts to quit working....
THROW IT AWAY....... Do NOT put it back in the cup... It will NOT recycle its self... I used to hate when my kids did that... Like the empty milk bottle or ice cube tray in the fridge....

Plus I always keep scratch paper, color pencils, and stuff like that when I baby sit the 8yo ball of fire once in a while... She always keeps my fridge covered in "art"....... I always liked that...

Take care....
Old 07-28-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
I also go through the Walmart school supplies...

Buy the #2 pencils that I use out in the garage/shop...
Single subject wire bound note books that I use for a lot of things...
Keep one in each car so I can write down things as I need to...
Graph paper.... I use a lot of graph paper... Making drawings of things I want to build, measurements, plans for stuff I want to do...

Also bought a gallon size zip lock bag of ball point pens at the thrift store.. There must be about 200 total there... Part of the key to this issue with ball points is....... When the pen starts to quit working....
THROW IT AWAY....... Do NOT put it back in the cup... It will NOT recycle its self... I used to hate when my kids did that... Like the empty milk bottle or ice cube tray in the fridge....

Plus I always keep scratch paper, color pencils, and stuff like that when I baby sit the 8yo ball of fire once in a while... She always keeps my fridge covered in "art"....... I always liked that...

Take care....
Its also a good time to pick up markers---they will have large packs of them.
I am the same way about ball points---nothing NEEDING one and its the finished one you pick up.
I carrry 3/4 in my purse.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
I have seen the lists teachers send home for the kids supplies now. How many bags of snacks and so on.
And sadly enough--the teachers wind up buying school supplies for kids.
But the list are really seriously huge.
And it cost a fortune to put a kid in school.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:46 AM

Good time to get things while on sale.
Markerd==== I had trouble this summer finding. I use mark a lot for labels for boxes. Used a lot moving and glue sticks and of packing tape. I cut a sheet of paper in half and mark it. Glue stick to put on box. Popcorn Cans I had to use tape. I mark dates on things in pantry and cans. I use pop corn cans to store things. Some are finer marks and I did not like.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Good time to get things while on sale.
Markerd==== I had trouble this summer finding. I use mark a lot for labels for boxes. Used a lot moving and glue sticks and of packing tape. I cut a sheet of paper in half and mark it. Glue stick to put on box. Popcorn Cans I had to use tape. I mark dates on things in pantry and cans. I use pop corn cans to store things. Some are finer marks and I did not like.
Thats a great idea.
Our old eyes cant see some of the fine labels----
I love the packing tape also--if you lose the end--its something too hard find again--so I mark where it is.
I have both the fine point and broad pointed markers.

Last edited by Txanne; 07-28-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:30 PM

I put something under the end of the tape but I have dispenser and that helps. Some rolls come with a dispenser deal.

I buy scotch tape but cheaper brand. I had to tape labels to pans when growing thousands of plants. I would keep the little label, dry. I typed them.

I made labels to go on the shelves as doubled rowed and so I know what is behind. Taped over them.

I use notebook paper to make inventory lists.

I use to buy the small stick on labels and just could not see that good anymore.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:37 PM

Sprial notebooks were .15 last week.