BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I have said that all along. Food has gone up the last few years. ALDI used to sell a two pound bag of beans for 89 cents, that is more than double. but how much money can you invest in beans. I always say, it does not eat anything, it makes no noise, you will need it, good thing to get.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:40 PM
Master Pontificator

There are many things I do that saves me a little, but the one that saves me most is not going to the beauty salon very much. My daughter and I both have long hair so we don't get it cut often. I started adding essential oil with the fragrance of tropical fruits to our shampoo and conditioner and our hair always smells nice without having to buy expensive salon shampoo.
Thanks

Last edited by jeanb; 03-10-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:00 PM

Default Saving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplegirl View Post
Cooking at home. We don't eat out very often, only if we will be gone an entire day and even then take sandwiches, snacks, and drinks with us for at least one meal.
We mostly eat at home. Husband and I went to Burger King last week, first time in a LONG time, and it was $16 for two people!. I almost could not belive it. Food was not that good either!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:13 AM

Once in awhile I grab a burger--it gives me a stomach ache.
Just dont eat out much--I hate eating alone.

I have been thinking about this.
I try to hold back money for any specials that pop up at groceries stores.
Yesterday--buying Hellmans mayo got me free tuna.

And found some salmon packed in Seattle---not china.(Honey Boy)

And I have become a serious label reader.

Its up to us--Buying American made products.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormom View Post
I have said that all along. Food has gone up the last few years. ALDI used to sell a two pound bag of beans for 89 cents, that is more than double. but how much money can you invest in beans. I always say, it does not eat anything, it makes no noise, you will need it, good thing to get.
BWM
You bring up an interesting point.
I had a discussion with a woman that only buys for the week.

She said she wasnt buying stuff she had to dust!! WHAT?
I know I looked at her like a cow looking at a new gate!!

Dust your groceries?
Okey dokey.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:11 PM

"Dust your groceries"
(snort).... Everything in this man cave is dusty.... Not haunted house dusty, but just not Martha Stewart perfect.... (feel like throwing up at the mention of her name, but you know what I mean)

I have found a good tasting item... "Hobo Soup" from Ortonville MN...
Kind of a bean and vegetable soup... Good stuff... The 8 year old I baby sit occasionally and I have had fun making and eating this...

As good as Dinty Moore is, this is a good occasional alternative...
www.hobsoup.com

Enjoy
Old 03-14-2014, 03:15 PM

You buy Hobo soup at Woodmans? Regardless, check your label as you used to be able to send in n number of labels and a some cash and get a t-shirt.

PS - the link didn't work.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:20 PM
Master Pontificator

Biggest way to save is to stay out of stores and away from Amazon! Truly the less often you go shopping the more you will save.

Second is to make a budget and stick to it. DO NOT OVERSPEND YOUR BUDGET. Part of that budget should be savings so that you can build an good emergency fund. An emergency fund allows you to borrow from yourself instead of pulling out a credit card. As soon as you have an emergency fund in place your goal should be getting debt free. Being debt free is like being released from financial prison.

Shop with a plan. I use the back of an envelope to keep a running list of what we need/want. I put coupons or other info needed for the shopping trip in the envelope. When the list covers the envelope and/or there is something we need immediately, we go shopping. Usually no more than twice a month. I divide the envelope into sections one for each store. This week's trip we went to the library, Hobby Lobby, HyVee, Walmart, Target, Aldis and Fareway. Dh has a doctor appointment on Monday so we'll do any shopping needed then so save a special trip later. Dh has Menards at the top of the list and I've added Aldis and Fareway or HyVee (each store will match the other's ad so no need to go to both). Also, I've added up what we've spent for food and miscellaneous so far this month to see how much is available for spending on Monday so we will not go over our budgeted amounts.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:09 AM

Speaking of Amazon, did you see/read the news as to how they asked vendor to inflate prices for those with Prime Accounts? Studs Terkel was right - no such thing as a free lunch.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:29 AM

The biggest way I save money day in and day out is with food. I find the best sources, buy in bulk and cook at home. I have a good pantry and have come up with a bunch of quick meals that are better than take out.

I do eat out, but it's always planned and with friends. It's just amazing to me that I spend more going out to dinner with another couple a couple of times a month than I do for groceries for a week for four.

I take my lunch to work, when I'm out and about doing errands I pack food. Every single food expense is cut to the bone. Why buy a soda at a fair for $2 when if you plan ahead you can have one from home for 25 cents? Same with sandwiches, the stuff from home tastes better and is healthier. When you multiply it by four it really adds up. It also means getting a treat of ice cream or funnel cake is that a treat that doesn't break the budget.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:51 PM

Budget, budget, budget I have to . No car and pickup Ins to pay and license plates. And up keep. That has helped me break even on my income. Hearing aid came from savings this last year. BUT I pay lot more Med Ins then I did. Vitamins that I need for MD really eat me up but I do want to go on seeing. Not just one thing but how I live. Frugal living. To cut vitamin cost what I could I get big bottles at Sam's that I can and get some at Walmart and such. I quit the vitamin store I had used and couple I do have to get a vitamin store yet. I need to do a count there and see if saving that way, I think I am. I do once in while buy some thing I could live with out , mostly for baking. I like nuts and raisins in my cinnamon rolls, I like chips and nuts stuff in cookies. I can control my INR much better. Yes, been eating out in the cities when I go. It is costing me but I have not had cabin fever this winter. Going and eating out once a week has helped. But I do my shopping on those trips and Doctor and so on. I should be done with most moving expenses now. That will be a big help. I am in hopes I can save a little this year.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Vitamins that I need for MD really eat me up but I do want to go on seeing.
Out of curiosity, which vitamins?

I've been doing some nutritional research over the last several months, because my iron levels kept dropping and I can't tolerate the supplements. I've been trying to find a menu plan that would provide all the recommended nutrients while fitting my tiny appetite, without having to take pills. I haven't found one yet, but just by trying I'm doing better than I was.

Some of the things I've learned were suprizing. I no longer consider spinach to be "health food", but potatoes and sunflower seeds are
Old 03-16-2014, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna View Post
Biggest way to save is to stay out of stores and away from Amazon! Truly the less often you go shopping the more you will save.

Second is to make a budget and stick to it.

Shop with a plan.
What Anna said!

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:12 PM

Ellendra,
I start with a multi vitamin then take extra amounts of C, E, Lutein, zinc , copper, potassium , magnesium, Vit 12 ,B complex, what ever. I have to have multi without much Vit K. I am on a blood thinner and must limit Vit K. Take calsium . I have to keep my wt low. I can not eat enough to get all that I need and keep wt down. My doctor sets my wt. Multi was just a big bottle from Sam's , I try to get senior vitamins if I can. No iron in them. Diet I am on for blood thinner limits what I can eat.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellendra View Post
Out of curiosity, which vitamins?

I've been doing some nutritional research over the last several months, because my iron levels kept dropping and I can't tolerate the supplements. I've been trying to find a menu plan that would provide all the recommended nutrients while fitting my tiny appetite, without having to take pills. I haven't found one yet, but just by trying I'm doing better than I was.

Some of the things I've learned were suprizing. I no longer consider spinach to be "health food", but potatoes and sunflower seeds are
Liver/has lots of iron.:

And I just saw a broadcast that said many of our vitamins dont do what they're suppose too.
And vitamins are big money makers in our health quest.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Ellendra,
I start with a multi vitamin then take extra amounts of C, E, Lutein, zinc , copper, potassium , magnesium, Vit 12 ,B complex, what ever. I have to have multi without much Vit K. I am on a blood thinner and must limit Vit K. Take calsium . I have to keep my wt low. I can not eat enough to get all that I need and keep wt down. My doctor sets my wt. Multi was just a big bottle from Sam's , I try to get senior vitamins if I can. No iron in them. Diet I am on for blood thinner limits what I can eat.

Having to avoid certain vitamins certainly would complicate things.

With the menu plans I keep coming up with, keeping the calorie count down is easy, it's keeping the sheer volume of food down that I have trouble with. I haven't checked my weight lately to see if it's having any effect with that.

Sunflower seeds are really high in magnesium and vit E, if that helps any. K is highest in green foods. I usually use parsley as my main source of K, I don't know if that helps you with avoiding it. Dark chocolate is the most concentrated source of dietary copper
Old 03-16-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
Liver/has lots of iron.:

If I could stand it, I'd be eating it.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:44 PM

Liver is high in K. Only meat that is listed that way. Greens are the worst and then cole family of veggies. I was giving a list of stuff high in K. But I have to have 90 mcgs a day. Soy oil is high. I cook with canola oil. K is only vitamin I have to watch for. I am learning to live with it.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:26 AM

[QUOTE=anna;381473]Biggest way to save is to stay out of stores and away from Amazon! Truly the less often you go shopping the more you will save.

Isn't that the truth!

My problem is that I seemed more self sufficient when I lived up North with lots of snow and on 3 acres. I thought I had a green thumb. Moved here in Eastern OK, I have 300 acres and I do run cattle but I can't grow as easily. Now I do have a organic blueberries almost a u-pick (100 plus plants producing quite a bit) but forget tomatoes and the rest of the gardens. Up North I did 40 plants and got more tomatoes than I do with 90 plants down here. Probably the heat. I love canning so I get so disapointed in my garden that I tend to all the time. Check soil and everything is fine. You gave away squash up North and pray for you plants down here. Very discouraged with gardening.

AnneTX you live in Texas do you have problems gardening?
Old 04-08-2014, 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=debbie-bountiful;383796]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna View Post

Isn't that the truth!

My problem is that I seemed more self sufficient when I lived up North with lots of snow and on 3 acres. I thought I had a green thumb. Moved here in Eastern OK, I have 300 acres and I do run cattle but I can't grow as easily. Now I do have a organic blueberries almost a u-pick (100 plus plants producing quite a bit) but forget tomatoes and the rest of the gardens. Up North I did 40 plants and got more tomatoes than I do with 90 plants down here. Probably the heat. I love canning so I get so disapointed in my garden that I tend to all the time. Check soil and everything is fine. You gave away squash up North and pray for you plants down here. Very discouraged with gardening.

AnneTX you live in Texas do you have problems gardening?
Deb
Gardening here took a hit from the long drought.
Fire ants are now a problem.
I dont know what has happened to the soil---I have added Miracle Gro this year.
Clover took over my yard.
My take is the low water table--the soil wasnt normally flushed,its turned very alkali,
Just a guess?

Right now with plenty of rain,gardening is doing better.

Somehow the long drought affected every area Deb.
I do believe this year will be ok---Hope you have better luck,but of course your in OK. :
Just kidding its a state rivalry thing.(Football)

Call your Farm B they may know something about the soil that will help you.