BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading

Homesteading Talk or ask questions about homesteading in general, your homestead, or any other related topic.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:31 PM

Y'all have a DQ?!?!??! Man, I'm envious.

On a larger scale, to where can someone move? I can't find any state that is suitable.

A little background. I was born and raised in CA. It was a great state when I was growing up there but things have changed. We escaped and are never going back. I love the coast and the weather and the touristy things to do (I'm a sucker for a good museum) but that is all. I can visit for a few days - maybe a week - but it exhausts me and I have to leave again.

We moved to Idaho. I love Idaho. Politically there is a lot I believe in there.

Hubby got laid off in 2010. He did a national - and international - job search. He got three job offers. The one in Antarctica was a no-go for several reasons. Eastern WA had no housing - affordable or otherwise. We opted for MS.

Where to go from here? I want:
~ Affordable
~ Jobs (my husband works in electronics). We're close to retirement so he isn't going to change careers now.
~ Good schools and we prefer charter schools and great home schooling laws
~ Libertarian politics would be ideal. Conservative is fine.
~ Wide open gun laws. I won't even apply for a conceal carry permit anymore because I don't want to be in any database - any.
~ Decent weather. I have inflammatory arthritis that is much worse in winter weather. I need sunlight - literally. Alaska is compelling but the winters would kill me.

We've considered TX but the "make TX blue" movement scares me. We've considered Utah but can't find jobs. I'm really hating living east of the MS river. I'm such a west coast gal. Living in The South has done me in on so many levels. AZ is a consideration but do I really need to live near Phoenix?

If eastern WA and OR became a state all to themselves, I'd be in heaven. I guess that isn't happening, though.

If you could live anywhere in the USA, where? Why?
Old 03-18-2014, 02:46 PM

Default No where to go

This has been a great thread, I hope it keeps going. In this point in my life,just turned 60 and living in Idaho - loving the hunting and fishing, BUT I live in a fast growing and very busy area - near Boise, I'm looking for the same thing, more peace and quiet, less traffic, less noisy neighbors, a smaller town and people ya can get to know & be friends. I have alot of friends here but they're all so busy with work and grandkids ya can never get together. Keep the info. coming & thanks to all!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Great post CatherineID!

I've had in this same deal in my mind for quite some time - especially now that I can no longer work. Nothing is holding us here now except for my wife's aging parents. I will not take her any farther from them that she could easily drive. They now live 2 hours away. She isn't all that close and we visit only a couple times a year, but I know deep down she needs to be within striking distance.

With all that said, 1.5 years ago I had to stop working. Even when I was working I had a 42 mile commute since we live pretty much in the boonies. I just love where we live here in the mountains of NW Penna, but the long winters are really wearing on me. I can really agree with you about having sunshine and warmth since I have a nasty case of RA. I am basically cooped up in the house for 5 months of the year now and really have to work at keeping my sanity.

I would love to move south somewhat, but not too far as I don't think I would be able to stand the heat of the deep south. In my eyes (having never been there), you would spend an equal time stuck indoors needing to get out of the heat and into the A/C. So I look at Western North Carolina or Eastern Tennessee. I love living in the mountains and would need those surroundings. I don't have to worry about work or schools, so that makes this a lot easier for me. A small cabin on a minimum of 20 acres for privacy would be perfect. But.....I've never even visited the area - heck I've only been to each surrounding state of Pa and that is it!

And as I get older, the adage of "the grass is always greener on the other side" comes into play a lot in my mind.

I also look at real estate values. The value of my current home of 20+ years has not changed at all. I know pretty closely what I could sell it for. Then I look at real estate on-line in the areas I mentioned, and find the prices crazy. To replace what I have now (3 bedroom home with 20x60 garage, garden shed, and pavilion on 6 acres with all beautiful river frontage) it looks like it would be at least triple the cost of what I could sell my place for.

There is only one con staying here and that is the long winters.
There are quite a few pros for staying put when I look at real estate prices.

So, around and around I go in my mind. Hey - a guy can dream can't he?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain
There is only one con staying here and that is the long winters.
Just hang in there--that predicted global warming thing should take care of that for you

JVC
Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
I also look at real estate values. The value of my current home of 20+ years has not changed at all. I know pretty closely what I could sell it for. Then I look at real estate on-line in the areas I mentioned, and find the prices crazy. To replace what I have now (3 bedroom home with 20x60 garage, garden shed, and pavilion on 6 acres with all beautiful river frontage) it looks like it would be at least triple the cost of what I could sell my place for.
My guess is that ALL the real estate is going to be like that fairly soon. It seems to be part of a huge plan to "lock us down in place". Frankly, I am glad I got out when I did. I am here (as they used to say) "for the duration and six". When I leave here it will be in a box. I agree that you have a good location and if you like it, the best option given the circumstances you mention, is to spend the effort/money, etc. and HEAT THAT SHOP! Winter or no winter, if you have a place to play, you'll stay healthy and happy a LOT longer.

My rule is that when a man retires, he has to have an adequate place to PLAY or he will die within 5 years from boredom. You live on the river? That should afford some "play" things. But the shop needs heat to work and let you be creative and build things. Do you get "Farmshow" magazine? If not, I HIGHLY recommend it. It will show you what other guys like you are doing in those shops during the long cold winters. I read that from cover to cover. Full of great American Ingenuity Ideas!

Quote:
There is only one con staying here and that is the long winters. There are quite a few pros for staying put when I look at real estate prices.
One thing I learned since living in a really cold winter place is don't be cheap about proper clothing. Get stuff lined with polar fleece. I mean EVERYTHING you wear...pants, shirts, etc. Long underwear and fleece lined jeans and shirts takes the cold right out of winter.

The other thing is warm boots. Spare NO EXPENSE to protect your feet and body from the cold.

Now would be a good time to find out about rocket stoves and rocket heaters. They are wood burning stoves that use amazingly LESS fuel because they burn at such high temperatures and produce NO SMOKE if they are operating correctly. Just sayin'

HEAT THE SHOP and forget the cold winters. Put a coffee maker out there and life will improve...

JMHO
//BT//
Old 03-18-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icu4dzs View Post

HEAT THE SHOP and forget the cold winters. Put a coffee maker out there and life will improve...

JMHO
Thank you! Since being forced in this early retirement with a lot of physical immobility, I've been kind of brain dead.

Actually, in my "barn", years ago I partitioned off the rear portion and insulated it. That section measures 20x20 and already have multiple work benches in there along with all my tools. I used to rebuild small diesel tractors there in the winter months. I have a kerosene heater in there which after running it for an hour or so is plenty warm enough to work in a long sleeve shirt.

These past 2 winters being stuck home, I hadn't even thought about a project in the barn. I had to give up my mechanic hobby (also used to get older VW TDI Diesels and re-do them in the winter) because I just can't turn wrenches anymore.

You've really struck a good nerve with this. I now have the whole summer to think about what I can work on in the barn. And while the kerosene heater worked OK, I'm going to do some research on the Rocket Heater you talked about.

Thanks for your post. Here I already have a great place to "fiddle" in the winter and had just ignored it for some reason.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Thank you! Since being forced in this early retirement with a lot of physical immobility, I've been kind of brain dead.

Actually, in my "barn", years ago I partitioned off the rear portion and insulated it. That section measures 20x20 and already have multiple work benches in there along with all my tools. I used to rebuild small diesel tractors there in the winter months. I have a kerosene heater in there which after running it for an hour or so is plenty warm enough to work in a long sleeve shirt.

These past 2 winters being stuck home, I hadn't even thought about a project in the barn. I had to give up my mechanic hobby (also used to get older VW TDI Diesels and re-do them in the winter) because I just can't turn wrenches anymore.

You've really struck a good nerve with this. I now have the whole summer to think about what I can work on in the barn. And while the kerosene heater worked OK, I'm going to do some research on the Rocket Heater you talked about.

Thanks for your post. Here I already have a great place to "fiddle" in the winter and had just ignored it for some reason.
Go on the internet and find a YouTube by a guy called ZeroFossilFuel. look at his #325 video. He makes a very handy little rocket heater for his shop and has even published the plans, dimensions, etc. It is a very nice little piece of equipment and I built on like his but bigger (for a much bigger shop) and it works great unless it is -20*F or so then NOTHING works well enough to make it "working temperature". With mine, if the outside temp is in the +20*F or so range, I can heat the shop to about 55*F and work in there with long sleeve shirt. All my machines will start and the welder even does things it is supposed to do.

Just don't give up... Like I said, a retired man has to have a place to play or he will fold up and die. Don't let that happen to you!
Cheers
//BT//
Old 03-18-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icu4dzs View Post
Just don't give up... Like I said, a retired man has to have a place to play or he will fold up and die. Don't let that happen to you!
Cheers
Very good point. I'm glad I posted in this thread as I now see I have everything I need right here where I am. This RA turned my life upside down 18 months ago and it is time to get on with life.

Funny - the RA really gives me what I call "brain fog". After this session here I think of the saying "not seeing the forest for the trees". I can do just fine here where I love to live - just have to plug that hole called winter.

There are many possibilities for me to get a project going in the barn - just have to find something that I can do within my limitations.

I really hated even the thought of moving anyway.......
Old 03-18-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineID View Post
Y'all have a DQ?!?!??! Man, I'm envious.

On a larger scale, to where can someone move? I can't find any state that is suitable.

A little background. I was born and raised in CA. It was a great state when I was growing up there but things have changed. We escaped and are never going back. I love the coast and the weather and the touristy things to do (I'm a sucker for a good museum) but that is all. I can visit for a few days - maybe a week - but it exhausts me and I have to leave again.

We moved to Idaho. I love Idaho. Politically there is a lot I believe in there.

Hubby got laid off in 2010. He did a national - and international - job search. He got three job offers. The one in Antarctica was a no-go for several reasons. Eastern WA had no housing - affordable or otherwise. We opted for MS.

Where to go from here? I want:
~ Affordable
~ Jobs (my husband works in electronics). We're close to retirement so he isn't going to change careers now.
~ Good schools and we prefer charter schools and great home schooling laws
~ Libertarian politics would be ideal. Conservative is fine.
~ Wide open gun laws. I won't even apply for a conceal carry permit anymore because I don't want to be in any database - any.
~ Decent weather. I have inflammatory arthritis that is much worse in winter weather. I need sunlight - literally. Alaska is compelling but the winters would kill me.

We've considered TX but the "make TX blue" movement scares me. We've considered Utah but can't find jobs. I'm really hating living east of the MS river. I'm such a west coast gal. Living in The South has done me in on so many levels. AZ is a consideration but do I really need to live near Phoenix?

If eastern WA and OR became a state all to themselves, I'd be in heaven. I guess that isn't happening, though.

If you could live anywhere in the USA, where? Why?
Dont even worry about the make TEXAS blue movement----it aint happening.
Lot of liberal media hype----laughable.
Come on down. :
Old 05-23-2014, 01:40 AM
Master Pontificator

As far as moving...... Texas seems to be the only state that has their act together.....the economy is wreaking states, and they are going down hill fast. Including the islands.... so it seem number one choice is often Texas....I know a lot of people who are moving from here, one too many. They are going to Texas, Georgia and Washington state from here. I can just image the huge growth in Texas that must be hard to watch.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:22 PM

That is just fine with me. I thought they were all heading for Ky. I hardly ever meet a nativ, except the one I am married to. The other day DH and I were on our lonely road loading up a pick up full of leaves that the heave rains had washed into a pile. A car stopped to ask if we needed help. I said, yes, but we only have one fork. Anyway, they were from CT. (No offense meant).
Our town used to have three grocery stores, a hardware store, an electrical store, a big garage, a movie theater, a masonic lodge, a roller rink, two motels, two restaurants, or was it three? a train depot> I am sure I missed something. All that is left are two filling stations with minimart. One is owned by some family from India, the other is the country store. Same thing, but less fancy. and where the motels used to be they just built a dollar general. Occasionally a meth house blows up. We do have a voluntary firedept. and a part time post office. The railroad goes through town, we live on the other side of the railroad tracks.
aside from all that, twenty years ago when we built our house, nobody locked the door.
Most of the time we still don't. But we do not live in town. All in all, I would say this area is good people, confused and befuddled, what has happened. Lots of retires from out of state and too many on food stamps.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:00 PM

I grew up North of Fort Worth, waaaaaay out in the boonies of unincorporated county land. I spent hours out tramping around in the woods along the creek etc. Wouldn't come back till after my GI issue canteen ran dry.

Amazingly, the home I grew up in still stands. It's between the 24 Hour Fitness and an apartment Mega Complex.

Last week, I made a trip down into Bosque county. A few decades ago we seriously considered moving down there. It's still beautiful countryside a the "top of the hill country" but anything we would have homesteaded is now part of Homeowner Associations with fancy houses and the like.

Everybody has to be somewhere. I'm not so sure there's enough "out there" out there.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
I grew up North of Fort Worth, waaaaaay out in the boonies of unincorporated county land. I spent hours out tramping around in the woods along the creek etc. Wouldn't come back till after my GI issue canteen ran dry.

Amazingly, the home I grew up in still stands. It's between the 24 Hour Fitness and an apartment Mega Complex.

Last week, I made a trip down into Bosque county. A few decades ago we seriously considered moving down there. It's still beautiful countryside a the "top of the hill country" but anything we would have homesteaded is now part of Homeowner Associations with fancy houses and the like.

Everybody has to be somewhere. I'm not so sure there's enough "out there" out there.
Surprisingly enough many moving to our State are driving up prices of land.
Look atTomball Tx--I reember when it was a cow trail to huge oaks and fishing ponds--now its a major congested place I avoid.

Yes our State is prospering---but dont test our patience by trying to change us.
We are a friendly place.
We have jobs.

Rents have sky-rocketed and groceries grow more expensive.
Roads are congested .
I wonder--------
Old 05-24-2014, 01:35 PM

I like reading about the way property values are changing in different areas. Rural Texas sure sounds like there would be so much land around that it would never fill up.

I often wonder how property values go up over the years in different areas. Without actually paying for an appraisal, I would say that the value of my home/property is flat after living here for 20 years. But there is nothing here as far as work or industry. Population in the area is going down. School population is down.

I guess it is true when I read that 85% of the US population lives in cities or urban/suburban areas and that must be growing.

I'm not complaining - but I think my area is actually more rural than when I moved here over 20 years ago.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:58 PM

Great idea ... Move to Texas !

Signed

Mo

http://freedominthe50states.org/
Old 05-24-2014, 03:34 PM

One of the reasons we picked WV to buy our rural place was the topography.

The terrain is just too hilly to make development easy, and while the land is reasonably fertile for pasture or a garden, it's not enough to make farming practical. I think Kentucky and parts of Tennessee are similar.

The downside is the potential for various types of mining and timber harvesting. Both have the potential for ruining the landscape. Where we have our place, coal is fortunately not as prevalent as it is further south in WV, but oil was and is extracted, along with NG, and it's just a matter of time before the shale players start moving in. Luckily with the new horizontal drilling techniques, they can extract from under your land (we don't own mineral rights) without spoiling up top like they used to so we're not too worried about extraction in the future. Actually, our neighbor pointed out that having a well on your property means the gas company puts in a pretty nice service road for their equipment, and that can be worth many tens of thousands of dollars in excavation costs if you can use it.

But, if you're looking for ruggedness and remoteness, you can find it, and often reasonably priced. You won't have a 15 minute commute - frankly you'll be lucky to find work within and hour or two, but you also won't have a development of McMansions popping up around the corner anytime soon either.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Great idea ... Move to Texas !

Signed

Mo

http://freedominthe50states.org/
What a minute---cant judge what you dont live!!
Easy there slick! :
Old 05-24-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
What a minute---cant judge what you dont live!!
Easy there slick! :
I didn't judge anything !!!! Slick !!!
More people that move to Texas means less moving to Missouri" slick"

Last edited by MissouriFree; 05-24-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
I didn't judge anything !!!! Slick !!!
More people that move to Texas means less moving to MissouriFree " slick"
I got your drift--slick.
You need another 20---ease up and laugh a little.:

I am not crazy about all the liberal whiners showing after others have worked so hard to keep this State afloat.

You need a massage or something--you are way to stressed out.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
I got your drift--slick.
You need another 20---ease up and laugh a little.:

I am not crazy about all the liberal whiners showing after others have worked so hard to keep this State afloat.

You need a massage or something--you are way to stressed out.
Hey I am not the first to use slick you were you need to lighten up or I'll start telling Texas jokes .