BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading

Homesteading Talk or ask questions about homesteading in general, your homestead, or any other related topic.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:28 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
More people that move to Texas means less moving to Missouri" slick"
Sorry Mo,... but I am from the islands ....who wants to move to Missouri???.... I had a friend from Missouri....who pronounced it Misery. That is like me moving back to Ohio!! just joking yea I know things are super cheap there. Yea,.... I know I am just a barefoot sand counter....
Old 05-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorwoman View Post
Sorry Mo,... but I am from the islands ....who wants to move to Missouri???.... I had a friend from Missouri....who pronounced it Misery. That is like me moving back to Ohio!! just joking yea I know things are super cheap there. Yea,.... I know I am just a barefoot sand counter....
I live on 30 acres on the middle of the state,
I don't need a permit. To build anything at all.
I can shoot on my back yard to my hearts content.
I kill any critter that I don't like( mostly coons and ground hogs)

Oh yeah my gas is currently 3.37-9
As I said in another thread my eggs are around a dollar and my milk is under$4, a 20 pack of Bud "Bottles" is under$15

And top of that we have the St Louis CARDINALS.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
I can shoot on my back yard to my hearts content
LOL... Ok you got me beat.....can not shot anything here but at the range.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Hey I am not the first to use slick you were you need to lighten up or I'll start telling Texas jokes .
Bahahhaha----I love picking at you--you never whimp out giggle :
Old 05-28-2014, 09:22 PM

We re getting overrun here with folks from out of state.DH put an ad on Craigslist for laying hens and someone from Michigan called. Is Ky the promosed land or something?
some
folks put up a double wide down the road. She is from California and he is from Texas. Of all places, why not go to Texas. No, they added up all the plus and minuses of places and Ky came out ahead so that is where they went. How they found us I don't know. They got a Texas flag out in the yard.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormom View Post
We re getting overrun here with folks from out of state.DH put an ad on Craigslist for laying hens and someone from Michigan called. Is Ky the promosed land or something?
some
folks put up a double wide down the road. She is from California and he is from Texas. Of all places, why not go to Texas. No, they added up all the plus and minuses of places and Ky came out ahead so that is where they went. How they found us I don't know. They got a Texas flag out in the yard.
A Texas flag hanging in there yard?
If he tries to tell you how to tun your state--he's a fake.
But if he offers your a beer,ask you to hold his and says ,now watch this--he's a red neck alright.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:16 AM

Default Update on Nowhere to go.

It's been a year since I even logged on. I got so busy trying to find a new place but just an update WE FOUND IT - FINALLY! It took a lot of trips out of the area and we didn't have to leave the state. Funny how things work out. Wound up near where we both grew up. Fairly remote area near a river in east Texas. Beautiful property in the woods. Ironically we wanted to move to find a better farming location. Farming is kind of out of the question here unless you want to level a patch of hardwood forest uhm no. Instead of farming we will be backwoodsing it. I just retired so will spend most of my time trail walking and gardening. I guess I should have had more patience. For anyone that is looking for that just right spot as it turns out sometimes you have to look where you thought was the wrong area. It did wind up costing us our life savings and we sold everything we could get our hand on but ultimately this is what we were saving for. Now I just hope we can be the good stewards we need to be to preserve it.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:19 AM

Well Sugarfoot it's good to see you back.
Glad you found your place.
I wish you all the best.
I had read several posts in this thread and when I saw some of the names replying I was pleased.
Then I realized they were old posts.
Wonder where HawaiiDi went?
Old 04-25-2017, 07:05 PM
Master Pontificator

Another thing to consider when moving to a small town is your religion. I live in a community of 1,900 in rural Iowa. A Jewish lady moved to town and complained greatly that she didn't fit in. Well, in this community we have two Lutheran, a Catholic, Mennonite, Church of Christ and United Methodist churches. Most everyone has a connection to one of them even if they seldom attend. So it was unrealistic for that lady to move here and expect to fit in especially when she kept stressing she was Jewish. Nearest Synagogue is 200 miles away.

Also, when you move to a rural area it is hard to from close relationships because generations of families live here. Families gather and outsiders remain outsiders. If that bothers you, then you need somewhere less rural. And NEVER EVER complain about so and so to anyone because the so and so is likely their relative or close friend. I've lived here 33 years and do not have any close friends. Lots of casual friends whose close friends are either one of their relatives or someone they've know all their lives. Since I'm basically a loner it doesn't bother me although since dh passed its disconcerting to think I could lie here dead for a month without being missed.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:48 PM

Very astute post, Anna.

You'd think after 5000 yrs of that sort of thing the Jewish lady would be used to it by now?
My wife comes from a long line of stone cutters from southern Indiana. We visited a few yrs ago to go to a family wedding. As we entered the church I asked her which side we were supposed to sit on? She said, "It didn't matter."
Old 04-26-2017, 02:43 AM

You are so right about the church issue. Fortunately we are in a broad belt of Baptists so we had dozens of churches to choose from. I cannot imagine moving somewhere without checking that out first. What is Iowa like? I should hope if you have a church family someone would not wait a month to check on you. I know mine will be hunting me down if I miss 2 Sundays in a row lol.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:45 AM

Default My views vary

Every area has benefits and liabilities so you just need to find the balance you can live with. Rural areas often lack employment options unless you are able and willing to commute or have money stored up.

Texas, Kansas, and Missouri have some good land but also high land prices too in many areas. Some people can be good neighbors but others can be either nosy or cold or thorns in one's side.

When my mother fell and broke her arm, she had to call 911 from her cell phone as her closest and only neighbor lives 0.75 mile from her through the timber. Her driveway is 0.3 mile from the closest private road, which dead ends at her property, back in the timber and she has few visitors. She is often on her own for a week or two at a time. She would likely be severely exposed to the elements or dead before someone would miss and look for her. I am hours away and she can go days before calling me back if I have to leave a message.

The property location is secluded and has a creek with fish running through it along with good hunting propects. What it lacks might be deadly under the wrong circumstances.

As for religion being what matters where one will be, I am fine without it. It keeps property seeking easy.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:19 PM
Master Pontificator

My problem with looking for property years ago was my hubby didn't want to leave the county he was born in. He is part of the group that knows everyone, and at family functions his family is often talking about people/families that have been here for generations. But the area is friendly to outsiders, but we are not living in the back country, either, unfortunately.

On the plus side, this area enabled me to start my own business from home and develop a client base that allowed me to be home to raise my kids. I wouldn't change that for anything. And now that the mortgage is paid off, we could move but would have to stay in the same area due to my hubby's business. And this area allowed us access to the public education that my special needs son needed. So I don't know if a move is in our future, as it is real nice to not have to worry about the mortgage every month and we are getting to the point where I'm not sure my hubby wants to start over somewhere new. Our gardens are established and the infrastructure built and paid for.

We'll just have to see what happens. In the meantime I can live vicariously through you folks who really are living remote! Thank goodness!