BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Water

Water Drinking water, wells, ponds, saving, purifying, etc.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:34 PM

Here is how this all works. On agricultural land, for ag purposes, the land owner goes to USDA Natural Resources Conservation Services and fills out a Form 1026. USDA then sends out a Wetlands Soil Scientist to determine if and how much wetlands on on the site. If it is determined that there are no wetlands (or less than a certain amount) the land owner may then proceed with the permitting process, part of which goes thorugh the Corps of Engineers, and the State. If the land owner can go through NRCS, he is MUCH better off, because NRCS will try to work WITH a client to help him solve his problems, and keep him out of trouble, whereas the COE usually tells the land owner "it's our way or NO WAY".
Now, if it is NOT for agricultural purposes, then it is all administered through the Corps of Engineers. The rancher in the OP would have been under Ag rules. However, it may be that the rancher was not a cooperator with USDA and did not contact them, but that is unlikely, being he has paperwork from the State.
Now, to answer how pond can have water without a stream flowing through it, you must locate the pond in areas with a watershed...meaning the upland head of a drainage that only has water running so long as there is precipitation. Most folks call this "runoff", which collects in the constructed pond. However, out west, this may not work nearly as well due to lower rainfall and more evaporation.

Last edited by Soilman; 04-27-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Wow --- S2 may know more that I but in missouri the biggest decision who to hire and how much the dozer cost. No permits involved.

http://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/file...dbook_2011.pdf

My problem is that mine (about 1 & 1/2 acre- if full ) is a leaker and getting worse. Bentonite by the bag is pretty expensive to gamble that I hit the right spot(s).

Last edited by MissouriFree; 05-06-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:07 PM

Default Plugging your leaky pond

MissouriFree... Have you tried plugging your leaky pond with cottonseed hulls? My dad swears they work!
Old 05-08-2014, 11:54 PM

I'm having reasonable success using hogs to seal mine. Water depth has nearly doubled (4' to nearly 8') in less than 2 years. It takes some time, but doesn't cost much.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwyo View Post

what i am thinking about here, as i read about the johnsons. is "how did the feds find out about his water hole " ?
That would be my question too. Nosy neighbors? Feds looking through state records because he did apply for a permit? It makes you wonder.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:17 AM

Most likely from a satelite image
Old 05-17-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J R Adams View Post
Most likely from a satelite image
You know, that is a little scary.

I use google maps extensively for scouting, and it's spooky how when it's updated - you see virtually everything that you've done on your land.

Not to mention the 360 thing where on normal streets things are getting mapped out from a street view.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:09 AM

A recent article on this same family...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...cmp=latestnews

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:44 AM
Master Pontificator

The EPA is the most anti-American federal agency that has ever been created. It's sole purpose is to bankrupt or otherwise drive out of existence or into extinction any and all businesses, industries, or individuals it possibly can. Around here with all the oil & gas drilling and fracking taking place literally thousands of chemicals are being pumped into the ground as part of the fracking process and the EPA could care less, but a little water service with 50 customers will be forced to do thousands of dollars in testing to prove their water is safe. That really sounds fair to me. I have come to consider the EPA the greatest tool in the hands of Americas enemies.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Master Pontificator

I noticed the only places this applies are generally dry states (mid west, west, etc), in the northeast its so wet all the time no one bothers, some areas of the northeast (great lakes area) were farmed on marshland that was drained, then the farms abandoned, and when the old ditches are not maintained the land (now covered in houses) starts to revert back to marsh. the only place i know of where water and streams become an issue is if there is protected wetlands (endangered species) which are already known and mapped, or if its a sanitation thing.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2man View Post
I had a friend who religiously removed the cattails from his pond. He said if it had cattails the EPA would consider it a wetland and he could never alter/remove it. He was a geologist who worked in the Environmental department of our engineering firm, fwiw.
The same holds true for Skunk Cabbage growing on your land. It's considered a forested wetland at that point. That being said, I just saw this really wealthy guy (local real estate magnate) filling in a wetland with fill this morning. It had cattails, ducks, the whole nine yards. I've been told that you can trade the EPA new wetland and fill in old wetland?
Old 05-12-2015, 11:27 PM

Yes, in some cases you can swap wetlands. I've seen it done around here quite a bit, both with development and with harvesting peat. The DEQ and EPA and sometimes Army Corp of Engineers all get involved in varying degrees with permits and so on, and it seems prohibitively expensive for for any but the big operators.
For example a large peat mining operation got permission to open a few more hundred acres to mining after 'restoring' a previously mined area, and 'granting' it back to the state as wetlands.
This is in Michigan; not sure if the same rules apply to other states.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:35 AM

Yesterday I was making a house call in a distant suburb of Chicago that is rapidly going from rural to "urban." As I drove along the two lane, they were working to turn it into a four-lane. An 80 acre tract that was in corn last year is about to be subdivided and developed. There was a patch at the side of the road, basically a drainage ditch and surrounding weeds, maybe 100 ft x 50 feet, with an official sign posted "Wet Lands-- do not molest."

Now, I can see maintaining significantly sized wetlands to preserve habitat, but this little mud hole anin't gunna preserve any species, let alone endangered species, even if it wanted to. This is govt gone crazy in the name of following the rules without questioning the aim of the rules.

I was tempted to stop and post my own sign " This ain't Wetlands-- it's an effing drainage ditch, you AHs.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:41 PM

This the same EPA that has allowed corporations like General Electric off the hook for polluting entire eco-systems. This is the same General Electric that pays no taxes and sent most of jobs overseas. This is the EPA that had a "negotiator" for a PCB "clean up" then hired by General Electric.

The EPA is as corrupt as it gets and includes the Congress and White House.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:28 PM

good info in this thread--especially since I am considering adding another stock tank (dug pond). Right now, I am about brim full and don't know where I can put anymore water. Have a catchment pond I dug that I've been running the pump on pretty steadily for 2 days now--pumping that run off water up into a larger stock tank which catches a good bit of run off also. Now the upper tank is about to start running out the overflow point, and if the lower pond gets any more rain, it will be over my road--unless I catch a break and can get in with the tractor and build its berm up a little more. Been out in the rain watching the various run off locations trying to site the new hole. Don't think there will be much of an issue--my neighbor has basically made his entire lower acreage into a string of ponds with no repercussions (so far).

I'm starting to wonder where I actually live---yesterday barely got out of the 50's, it's about 63 right now, and I've had about 10 inches of rain April and May so far--not the Texas I've been familiar with these past 10 years or so of dry conditions. Old timers (those who have lived in this area all their lives--age wise I'm getting close to being an Old Timer too) tell me this is the way it used to be, that this is what once was normal for the area--hope it keeps up long enough for all the lakes and reservoirs to fill back up at least.

JVC
Old 05-13-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcstone View Post
good info in this thread--especially since I am considering adding another stock tank (dug pond). Right now, I am about brim full and don't know where I can put anymore water. Have a catchment pond I dug that I've been running the pump on pretty steadily for 2 days now--pumping that run off water up into a larger stock tank which catches a good bit of run off also. Now the upper tank is about to start running out the overflow point, and if the lower pond gets any more rain, it will be over my road--unless I catch a break and can get in with the tractor and build its berm up a little more. Been out in the rain watching the various run off locations trying to site the new hole. Don't think there will be much of an issue--my neighbor has basically made his entire lower acreage into a string of ponds with no repercussions (so far).

I'm starting to wonder where I actually live---yesterday barely got out of the 50's, it's about 63 right now, and I've had about 10 inches of rain April and May so far--not the Texas I've been familiar with these past 10 years or so of dry conditions. Old timers (those who have lived in this area all their lives--age wise I'm getting close to being an Old Timer too) tell me this is the way it used to be, that this is what once was normal for the area--hope it keeps up long enough for all the lakes and reservoirs to fill back up at least.

JVC
Feast or Famine. I should have started collecting water in early April but was afraid of freezing the tanks. Last good rains we had was 3rd week of April, and we still had 1/2 foot of snow on the ground.. Have had to water things to get seeds to germinate, at least there are no slug/snail problems.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:17 PM

This is disturbing on so many fronts.
I have ag exempt property where I get irrigation water from a small Tx river that backs up to the property for my orchard. Can usually walk across the shallow river without getting your feet wet in places. The previous landowner put in a concrete dam with rebar at the edge of the property back in the '80s to make the water deeper for pumps. It doesn't stop the flow of the water, just slows it down and makes it deeper in my section. Part of the dam has broken from previous flooding. Am looking to patch it up to the way it was. Am I supposed to notify authorities of this? My view is it's none of their business.