BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Tractors

Tractors Big ones, small ones, old ones, new ones, buying, using, fixing...you get the idea.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:50 PM

I have used a 4' 'King Kutter' for 4 yrs with my 17 hp Yanmar
And it is slow but does a good job.

My garden is only 60' X 100' so slow is ok.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:00 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I have a 1972 troy built horse that is still running strong with the original tecumseh engine. Have had to do tune ups, and replace the: air filter, worn tines, and the axle seals.

That has been it, until last year when the corn fed fuel mucked up the carb. Will have a diet of AV gas from now on. A great machine. Did the whole garden by itself for 16 years but took a lot of time.

I have a LARGE garden. Started using a Ford 9N with 2-bottom plow, disc, and spring tooth harrows for initial prep. since 1989. Don't really need to use the disc unless I'm breaking new sod.

The tiller now only gets used for row prep, weed control between rows, or tilling under an early crop for the next planting.

I just got a nice Ford 2000 (3 cyl, with diffy lock) and have thought of a 3-pt tiller but cannot justify the cost given the equipment I already have for the garden. I'm looking at getting another brush hog, wood splitter, or snow blower for the 2000 instead.

Have you considered good used plow and harrow instead of the tiller? A lot easier opening up new sod with a plow.

Last edited by Mad_Professor; 03-31-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:18 AM

My neighbor had a 50-horse John Deere with a two-bottom plow that we used to break up the new garden a year or so ago, but neither of us had a harrow of any kind, so I tilled it with a rented Troy-built horse. I can probably rent that tiller again.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:29 PM

Mad Prof....

We need PICTURES of the new stuff in the picture thread....

Enjoy...
Old 03-10-2015, 12:02 AM
Master Pontificator

I have a sandy loam soil without any rocks.

I routinely flat break the garden/field plot (about 5 acres) with a twin pan plow behind a 4005 John Deere. After a couple of weeks I till the soil with a six foot tiller and one pass with the tiller will leave a better seed bed than half a dozen passes with the five foot disk.

My past experience with a front end loader on a multi use tractor has been the front end loader is more of a hindrance than it is beneficial. Admittedly the FEL can be very useful at times, but when not needed it is simply in the way. If I had snow to deal with, I might feel differently about the FEL, but I don't and doubt snow would change my mind either. I have and use a dirt slip/scoop fairly regular to fill in rutted or washed out areas or low spots. The dirt slip/scoop may be a little slower to use than the FEL, but it sure makes up for the difference in the time it takes to connect and disconnect the dirt slip from the tractor. Maybe fifteen minutes max.

But one thing is for sure the more toys, er tools/implements I meant, you have for your tractor the more versatile your tractor becomes, and the greater burden of work it will perform for you.