BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Hunting/Fishing/Trapping

Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and related conversations.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default deer stands and out houses

I love to build deer stands and outhouses and a couple of times they are one in the same. The other day going for a walk with my faithful dog Maggie I stumbled across some big rocks in a semi circle close to this big fir free. I looked around and I could see several good shooting lanes that just needed a little help to clear them up. So I started piling more rocks until I had a wall three feet high and 9 feet in a semi circle by the tree that looks down hill into a little meadow. I just need to add a camouflaged roof and I'll be all set for this winter. I was even able to get a flat rock embedded in the wall that sticks out so I can set a couple cups of coffee on it. I may get some mortar to firm it up a little more. I will put a little gravel in the bottom then throw an rubber stall mat I have for a floor. Next comes a nice swivel office chair and I should be good to go. If you think that sounds like it would be a nice deer blind, you should see the out houses I build.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridbob View Post
So I started piling more rocks until I had a wall three feet high and 9 feet in a semi circle by the tree that looks down hill into a little meadow. I just need to add a camouflaged roof and I'll be all set for this winter. I was even able to get a flat rock embedded in the wall that sticks out so I can set a couple cups of coffee on it. I may get some mortar to firm it up a little more. I will put a little gravel in the bottom then throw an rubber stall mat I have for a floor. Next comes a nice swivel office chair and I should be good to go. If you think that sounds like it would be a nice deer blind, you should see the out houses I build.
Sounds more like you're a deer herder than a hunter.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:23 PM

Sounds like a fine place for a sauna/wood fired hot tub.

Just saying :
Old 03-24-2014, 05:37 PM

Post hole digger and some kosher salt, then you can make some salt licks dead center of your lanes. Bow saw and remove the limbs that might effect line of sight. Some engineers tape or colored ribbon off some of the branches so you will know wind direction. Hang a t-shirt in your blind a few days before you plan to hunt so your scent becomes part of the landscape.

Some hot tea and you're all set.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
Post hole digger and some kosher salt, then you can make some salt licks dead center of your lanes. Bow saw and remove the limbs that might effect line of sight. Some engineers tape or colored ribbon off some of the branches so you will know wind direction. Hang a t-shirt in your blind a few days before you plan to hunt so your scent becomes part of the landscape.

Some hot tea and you're all set.
Some good Ideas I had not thought of , thanks ArmySGT

And randellhilton, your right, I herd them from the lower field right into the frying pan.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:55 PM

I have set out surveyors ribbon at several rangefinder measured distances.. Like 50, 100,150 yards what ever you have available... That does double duty.... Wind and distance in one landmark...

The advice to visit the stand often in late summer, fall is the best advice... Change smelly T shirts in the stand often... A few used wet coffee grounds.... If there is a trail off the hill somewhere over your shoulder direction from your stand.... Take an occasional whizz in the trail to encourage animals to go around that area behind the stand and circle to your field of fire.... Or have the dog leave an occasional lawn land mine to help with that effort....

A garden rake to work in a hand full of sweet clover seed at your yardage markers may make a mouth full of grazing that will get an animal to hesitate in view....

Good luck...
Old 03-25-2014, 03:12 PM

You might want to start sprinkling some doe urine in the area to get the bucks around now.

Planting crops deer like nearby like tilling in some wildlife mix in the early spring. Especially if you choose some that is perennial.

Set in some game cameras at your hide and gets some pictures to see if it is really worth the effort.

A limb saw and you can start clearing limbs and opening lanes. Even build a thicket behind you or across areas you can't see from the blind. Deer like people want a clear place to walk. Route them around to you.

Leave the shade branches up on the east side so the rising sun doesn't blind you when it is time to take the shot.

Plant some fruit and nut trees in the area, red apples and christmas pears for late fall. Won't help with this season, later season it brings them into your area.

Deer like the sunny south slopes of hills where the breeze can carry sents to them and the warm sun saves them calories. Keep the dog out of this area, so they don't go somewhere else and the dog doesn't pick up ticks.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:44 PM

Don't forget your cover so you can set out in the rain/snow
Old 04-28-2014, 12:23 PM

To each his own, but not my way to hunt deer. You limit yourself by restricting your shooting lanes to all but a few. Man up and tough it out in the weather. Little houses with coffee pots and heaters and johnny on the spots are for wussies.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:26 PM

I did a double check of the game regulations in my state, and I've found nothing that says a hunter has to suffer while hunting.

One of my deer stands sits over a food plot I planted. It is 6'x8' and I can park my 4 wheeler under it. I call it my deer stand with attached garage. It is heated by a 3 burner stove that came out of an old camper. Makes cooking breakfast nice too. A set of rabbit ears on the roof allows me to pick up Sat and Sun afternoon football games.

Now I understand some feel that's not hunting. But I also have 3 or 4 tree stands I use when not in the enclosed stand.

Also I've spent my fair share of time sitting on a 2x4 freezing. Long before modern tree stands, Gortex, or Thinsulate were invented.

I'm closer to nature on the tree stand, or slowly still hunting my way through the woods. But I see no reason to suffer if I don't have to. If you can be comfortable you will be out hunting in late Dec and Jan when many are sitting at home by the wood stove.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:01 PM

At times I have told my friends out west about hunting from elevated stands, like they do here.... They thought that was the funniest thing they ever heard.... But you do what works where you are at....
==
Little houses with coffee pots and heaters and johnny on the spots are for wussies. Well... I guess at this stage of life that includes me... I don't know about the TV.... But a comfortable place to sit out of the wind and enjoy my thermos of coffee is always good....

What ever you choose to use be sure to enjoy....

How about some PICTURES..... of these places... ?? (hint,hint.. nudge,nudge.. poke,poke)
Old 04-28-2014, 03:45 PM

Pictures.

The stand.

Heat source with TV.

From the back side before the final painting was done.

He was 18 yards from the stand. Didn't shoot him either.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:36 PM

OUTSTANDING......

Yes.... With a lay out like that, I too would have a cot, and good camera as well as rifle to "shoot" with....

Enjoy...
Old 05-01-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Pictures.

The stand.

Heat source with TV.

From the back side before the final painting was done.

He was 18 yards from the stand. Didn't shoot him either.

Nice stand Hunter88, and I see you have a wagon to haul your deer in, way to go. And of course you did'nt shoot him, he's deformed. He has a foot growing out his head attached to his hind quarters. I bet he runs funny that way.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:12 PM

Actually when I took the picture of the deer I didn't have a gun or bow with me. As you can tell by the picture it was early in the season, and I just wanted to see how many deer were coming to the food plot. So I heated up some soup, made a sandwich, and threw a couple cans of beer in the cooler and had my supper in the stand.

My cart for hauling them out is actually a golf maintenance cart I bought. This one happens to be gas instead of electric. I lifted it a bit for more ground clearance, put more aggressive tires on it, and painted it. It's the best thing I ever bought to use around the place. Like a golf cart you press on the gas and it starts and goes. Take your foot off and it dies. It is so nice for doing fence work and stuff like there where you need to get off and on a lot.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:03 AM

A heated stand and a chance to hunt deer without missing the football game? Dang, you know how to make a girl swoon!
Old 05-02-2014, 12:36 AM

Well there are two chairs in the stand. Do you gut your own deer? Better yet would you gut mine?
Old 05-02-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post

Heat source with TV.

Heh, I would be to tempted to get the oven working too. Take along a tube of biscuits and a jar of raspberry jam.

Probably would use some automotive window tint to darken the top half of the windows and some reflective insulation at the roof.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:20 PM

Haven't used the oven in the morning, but I have stuck a pizza in there for supper during an evening hunt.

Of the two front windows one is tinted. The guy I got the windows from had tinted one that was on the west side of his house.

The front windows also have mini blinds on the inside. Many times when I am by myself I put down the mini blinds on the other front window.

The roof has some insulation and I covered that with some 2'x2' ceiling panels a guy gave me. I then painted them and the back walls black. So it's best to wear dark clothing when in the stand.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:02 AM

Our gang is usually about platform or ladder stands, we maybe hunt half of the stands that are favorites but the other half stands are always new.

For us, so much of the hunting is about scouting and finding new areas to hunt.

This past year, I shot a good buck off a ladder stand on my new property. My trail cams picked up another buck sniffing around after hunting season.

This year, our Elder hunter has been diagnosed with bone cancer, stage IV.

So, we will be building him a permanent comfy stand on my property and tempting him to enjoy the season there. Not sure how things will go, but this may be the last season we have with him.

It is truly a tragedy, because he has been our mentor and a fanatic about scouting out new spots every year - back where others don't typically go.

I say - the older we all get - the more limited we are - and if a nice permanent comfy stand is the difference between hunting or not being able to hunt - I say go for it!