BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Hunting/Fishing/Trapping

Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and related conversations.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:17 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
To each his own, but not my way to hunt deer. You limit yourself by restricting your shooting lanes to all but a few. Man up and tough it out in the weather. Little houses with coffee pots and heaters and johnny on the spots are for wussies.
I gonna that that statement as a tongue in cheek..... funny.

After hunting with my FIL, a WWII paraplegic vet.......Nothing wussie about him or his DAV vet friends.
We did build him a "house" with a wheel chair ramp later on.....but he was enjoying being out there taking part in "The Hunt".

In my later years, I have combined the idea of an out house and a deer stand, to find it works very well.
Couple of major surgeries say that I can't walk and stalk like I used to and blood thinner meds make staying warm much more difficult.

......and frankly don't care what anyone thinks....I still am at it after 60+ years.....in my own way.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:37 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
I gonna that that statement as a tongue in cheek..... funny.

After hunting with my FIL, a WWII paraplegic vet.......Nothing wussie about him or his DAV vet friends.
We did build him a "house" with a wheel chair ramp later on.....but he was enjoying being out there taking part in "The Hunt".

In my later years, I have combined the idea of an out house and a deer stand, to find it works very well.
Couple of major surgeries say that I can't walk and stalk like I used to and blood thinner meds make staying warm much more difficult.

......and frankly don't care what anyone thinks....I still am at it after 60+ years.....in my own way.

Well said Hunter. Sounds like you're a very good friend th have.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:03 PM

"Each in his own way"..... I like that...
At my point in life, if I were to go out again, I would be good with a shelter and comfy chair to wait in...

OK Campers.... Now is mid summer here is the time to be out checking things.... The fawns are big/old enough to move around well... Set up trail cams over your food plots, trails...

While you are fixing property fences, cutting wood and such, do your brush cutting.. Tree liming, mow areas that need it... Repair stands, paint, stain, fix as needed so the smell have time to ware off...

Also green houses are starting to reduce the prices of things to clear out...
If I had a place that was good for it, I would get a bunch of cheap clearance Hosta plants of different kinds and put them out in a kind of perennual food plot... (Hosta plants = deer salad bar) Re seed sweet clover and such for maybe a short plant, but fresh growth food source in a favorite area...

I guess my county and several around are to be buck only seasons this year... I suppose because of the last harsh winter, and so many road kills this spring summer so far.....

Good luck
Little thing seem to help a lot...
Old 06-30-2014, 09:35 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
"Each in his own way"..... I like that...
At my point in life, if I were to go out again, I would be good with a shelter and comfy chair to wait in...

OK Campers.... Now is mid summer here is the time to be out checking things.... The fawns are big/old enough to move around well... Set up trail cams over your food plots, trails...

While you are fixing property fences, cutting wood and such, do your brush cutting.. Tree liming, mow areas that need it... Repair stands, paint, stain, fix as needed so the smell have time to ware off...

Also green houses are starting to reduce the prices of things to clear out...
If I had a place that was good for it, I would get a bunch of cheap clearance Hosta plants of different kinds and put them out in a kind of perennual food plot... (Hosta plants = deer salad bar) Re seed sweet clover and such for maybe a short plant, but fresh growth food source in a favorite area...

I guess my county and several around are to be buck only seasons this year... I suppose because of the last harsh winter, and so many road kills this spring summer so far.....

Good luck
Little thing seem to help a lot...
Sounds like some one that live the hunt year around......funny thing is lately I have been watch in the doe with her fawns down below the Cabin....and think if them as "My deer"...LOL
Yeah, I will come over and shoot "your deer"....My deer I have to think about a bit.

BTW saw a fork buck on the highway, dead, rack in velvet yet?.....Little late?
Old 07-02-2014, 12:21 AM

Velvet..... Not too late really... At least this far north...
I haven't seen any lately, but late July, early August....
And things like that start to change quickly...

Seen very few in the yard, area this spring early summer...
Rumor has it this hunting zone and several around here will be buck only this year because of the winter and amount of road kills....

We will see how that works out later...

Yes.... I do have the sign on the wall that says.... "Gone Fishing, be back for Deer season"

Good luck
Old 07-02-2014, 01:02 AM

I run my trail cameras all year. They move from food plot to trails to scrapes depending on the time of year.

Last year I planted food plots in 4 types of clover, which came back pretty good this year. Come August I will also disk up another area near one of the stands and plant oats. The clover does well until late winter, but the oats stay green at that time and still attract some late season deer.

Here's a few pictures from June.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:26 AM

Very nice pics Hunter, I greatly appreciate you sharing those.