BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > Sports & Games

Sports & Games Baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, lacrosse, bowling, swimming, badminton, skiing, ping-pong, skateboarding...if it's a sport or game, this is the place to talk about it.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:11 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default College Athletes Union...

That ought to be three words put together that will be bound to upset some.....

However... It seems a court somewhere has deemed college football players are considered employees of the college and therefore they can form a union and do collective bargaining......

The players are saying there is a pool of billions of dollars available that is created by college athletics....

Now..... What affect this would have on scholarships was never mentioned in this particular statement...

This was all on the local afternoon news...
===
A kinda/sorta related subject..... A college somewhere is in trouble for going over and beyond what is required of them by providing text books and other materials to student athletes..... I presume to keep them elegible to play sports....

It seems the sports, and all is set up just to perpetuate the schools....
Graduating degree students is just a side line ???

Facts ??? Thoughts ??
Old 03-28-2014, 05:52 PM

Wyo,
I think this Union of College Athletes stuff is a bunch of crap. I do agree that the NCAA is sometimes overzealous in enforcing the "no additional compensation" bit on the athletes. For instance, they got worked up about Johnny Manziel getting paid for signing autographs--to me no big deal. If some Alum or gambling syndicate is providing benefits to the athletes, the potential fro graft is too great, however. I the scholarships are "salary" as the jocks now claim, they should then pay both state and Federal Income Tax on that scholarship.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:07 PM

Sometimes you just ""gotta get paid huh?""

I think this is all a huge crate of crap.

What ever happen to getting an education to use when the knees are gone?
Old 03-29-2014, 05:48 PM

I guess I can't let this go without sinking my fangs in it from this standpoint....

As a parent, my kids and I busted ass so they could graduate without a mountain of debt.... So here are these who don't pay tuition, get that ride...... There books, housing, spending money, even cars and what not else is provided.... And we paid tuition....

And that was after paying taxes on the money we earned to pay that tuition....

The college builds a big stadium, field house, you name it... And my kids walked across campus from a 40 year old dorm, to a 90 year old building for class.. And had to ware there coats in class... My kid could do things on her phone that the computer lab couldn't do...

KnowwhatImean.....
Old 03-29-2014, 11:38 PM

Well I guess I start watching high school sports now because once they get paid they are no longer amateurs and fixing starts with more illegal betting and the list goes on and the athletes themselves get ruined. They stop playing for the love of the game.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
It seems a court somewhere has deemed college football players are considered employees of the college and therefore they can form a union and do collective bargaining......
It wasn't a court
It was the NLRB (National Labor Relations Board)

They ruled the student athletes meet the definition of "employees" since they receive compensation, and are expected to do specific things in return
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...7af_story.html

It raises another issue I haven't seen mentioned, which is if they are employees, then the scholarships and any cash payments or housing allowances are "income" and they are liable for taxes
Old 04-27-2014, 10:30 AM

Its too bad that a college or university is defined by its sports teams... mostly football and basketball. Its not only state, but national recognition for the school, and a successful program in the right regional affiliation can rake in millions for the school. Successful coaches are paid millions annually, and some achieve almost a cult-like status. The two major schools in my state are Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia. You can see each schools paraphernalia being worn by people everywhere here - people who may not have ever been on campus or attended ANY college fall all over themselves to buy the tee-shirts, sweatshirts, stickers and whatever else is being sold. BIG BUCKS are in play, and now the student athletes what some of it. Who can blame them? They have been told since grade school how great they are and have been pampered along by dolting parents and now college alumni and fans. They feel they deserve more that just a free ride and a college degree at other people's expense. Their greed aligns perfectly with what our society has become.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:54 PM

They feel they deserve more that just a free ride and a college degree at other people's expense. Their greed aligns perfectly with what our society has become.
===
Actually.... It kinda/sorta seems the college sports system is more a proving ground recruitment tool for the pros..... I wonder the graduation rate of a lot of these given the "free ride" in sports.. ?? Now for the schools of course having "students" go onto pro sports is a big tool.. But at what price to other students ??
===
And it does seem at least one school team is going to vote to organize...
I got to wonder if this wouldn't move the team/school from college amateur to pro team... Creating a level of semi-pro (?) teams in-between college and pro.... And disqualify them from playing non contract teams... ???

What a bunch of crapola..... But then I'm the only guy in a large area that feels most pro sports are a waste of clean air....
My 2 cents...
Old 05-01-2014, 09:53 PM

You bring up an interesting point regarding becoming professional rather than an amateur school team.

Those who do organize should have the cost of their education counted as income and be required to pay income taxes on whatever the amount is.

I think its less of a proving ground than a slave auction. I agree that professional sports is a waste of time.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:13 PM

Angry

Quote:
They feel they deserve more that just a free ride and a college degree at other people's expense. Their greed aligns perfectly with what our society has become.
That maybe you opinon but that's all it is !!!!! What do you know about how these young people feel ???