BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Master Pontificator

Default "The Pioneer" a 21st Century "Covered Wagon"

Wouldn't it be helpful if there was a vehicle people could buy (already "tricked out" the way a smart person would want) that would allow for a number of contingencies? Even if there is a company who would do the "conversion" it would sell (IMHO)

Imagine a vehicle with a control panel (multiple Display glass cockpit type) like iPads) with Good navigation equipment (like that of an aircraft with "heads up display), adequate engine and system monitoring devices with error codes for every possible problem, (available to the driver not just the mechanic,) GPS computer that is functional showing hybrid road/contour mapping, a good two way radio system with UHF, VHF, CB and GMRS capability, A tool box with some "GOOD" hand tools that will work for THAT vehicle i.e. standardization of parts), (not the cheap base metal junk they include,) a cooler/refrigerator for food, Pioneer tool kit (shovel, bow saw, axe, etc) Storage box for hot/cold weather necessary clothing and survival equipment, a folding bunk and adequate insulation to keep you warm in the event of being stuck in the snow at -20*F (or worse) all of which could sustain life for at least 72 hours without having to consume all of the fuel in the tank? How about UV headlight option to see through fog and a Night vision capability as well? Obviously, 4WD would need to be included.

While I am "pipe dreaming" I'd also want the roof to be a solar panel and there should be a good (1500 watt) inverter to be able to use some sorts of electrical device (circular saw?)

I envision such a vehicle looking like a panel van, with an aircraft control panel and two very comfortable seats. The entire back of the van would be for living (in a manner of speaking) and not with all that fancy chrome and plastic "BLING" all over the place.

Now if you think I am being absurd consider the fact that ALL of the things I mention have existed for many years. Each thing I envision being in a vehicle has already been invented and has been in some type of vehicle for a long time. The difference is that no one put all of them together in one, specifically designed vehicle.

I'll bet there are plenty of folks who would go for such a vehicle, particularly if it got really good gas mileage and had a decent suspension system.

You could go nearly anywhere and not be concerned about "what if" so long as you kept things inside "up to date" and out of the sun/subzero cold.

That would be the vehicle for me...

What else should be in such a vehicle? I want to build one "on paper" and when I think it has everything I want, I want to build it for real but will probably have to be a DIY project.
//BT//

Last edited by Icu4dzs; 04-07-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

There are a lot of builds out there and some good forum threads for DIY. Quite a bit of small companies that build these types as well.

Myself, I'm settling for my Jeep and Mil-Surp trailer. All I have to do is get to my place Up Nord - and this combo will do it.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:13 PM

I kind of stubled upon a vehicle a few years ago that has some of the features you describe. I was at a truck stop and saw this vehicle getting fuel, and thought that it would be such a great thing for adventuring in the western mountains (one of my dreams). I finally found the manufacuter which is in Colorado called Earth Roamer.

http://earthroamer.com/

It is totally self contained. Has solar panels on the roof with a battery bank and inverter. Has a heater that uses diesel from the main fuel tank and can run the A/C for 8 hours from the battery bank. Also running the engine gives the battery bank a quick charge if needed.

Another option is military grade tires that can be totally deflated to run in sand.

While this certainly doesn't have everything you have listed as far as options, it could of course be configured with extras.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Master Pontificator

Well, now Coaltrain that certainly is a fine piece of machinery. Still has a lot of "bling" but kind of close to what I am thinking. I'll bet the gas mileage on that buggy is the pits, though. Didn't seem to want to give that kind of information on the website, though.
I will admit it is a beauty but I guess it is just a little out of my price range. They were advertising a used one with 47,000 miles on it for $160,000. That just seemed a bit more than I am able to consider. Must be that there is a class of folks who think nothing of such a price but I'm NOT inthat group.
I did like it though.
I'm thinking of something even more sophisticated in the cockpit, That truck was all "done up" in the "back" for creature comfort. The one thing it did have that I was pleased to see what the ability to get in back FROM the cockpit.
As for the bed over the cab, well, I'm almost 65 and you know at my age getting out of bed in the dark is a consideration. The ceiling over that bed would be tough to even sit up in, much less get out of quickly...if you know what I mean?

In all it was rather cool, but I think I'd like something that would allow for a bit more capability in the "front". Take a look at any modern aircraft with the "glass cockpit". I'm thinking more along those lines. I like to have the modern conveniences up there where I would be using them more frequently. I travel a lot so that is why I say this. I'm not really looking for a "bug-out" buggy, more of a modern communter type vehicle so I can enjoy driving. One thing neither had was a sturdy "deer protection frame". Yes, a lot of steel on the bumper to ward off the deer strikes we get out here. I don't care about the weight, I care about the protection. I've had two deer strikes, both in November 4 years apart both in the same car. It is getting annoying.

Ford did seem to be the truck in both of the ads, the ER and the other van that was set up but that one had all kinds of ladders and junk on the roof. Without that stuff, I'd probably be more interested in that one, but then again, price is still an issue. I'm not that much of a "high-roller" to need those ladders and floodlights, etc.

But, at least there are things being done to make life interesting...
//BT//
Old 04-08-2014, 01:14 PM

Yeah, that Earth Roamer is something of a fantasy for me also - never would be able to afford anything close to it. I've always wanted to explore the Rocky Mountains and desert southwest, and in my dreams this would be the perfect vehicle to do that.

When you posted this thread I thought of that rig - has some of the requirements in it. I really like the idea of it being self contained for the most part.

But because of recent physical limitations, any travelling or any kind is pretty much done with now. Even our bi-monthly grocery run takes it all out of me with a 2-3 day recovery period.

So I like to follow along with your vehicle thread. If nothing else I can fantasize about something like that!
Old 04-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarb
I think that you can buy those the only draw back is the price but I think bugout trucks does just what you are talking about! I imagine a sportsmobile or an adventure van. http://www.sportsmobile.com/sections...x4ford_bw1.jpg
but again the price...
If I had a vehicle just for survival it would proabaly be a Unimog truck by mercedes benz with a battery backup system,m solar on the top as well as a huge fuel capacity, at least two winches, tool boxes with spare parts and tools to fix it, The new airless off road tires with at leats two spares, Water tanks at least 100 gallons gun locker/ Rack. Now to get into real dream mode... Bullet proof, with a carbonated engine. diesel generator on the top rack with extra diesel for the generator and the truck.
I don't know who she is, but this gal is right on track. The vehicle in the link is a little more than I would want in some respects. I dont' need all that bling on the top... but would like to see more of it.

It is fun to "fantasize" about this. The fact of the matter is that I have been thinking about this since I was about 19. I had a friend in Anaheim, CA who was retired from the USMC because of wounds in Viet Nam. His dad was a genius; had the most organized garage full of parts and things I had ever seen. His dad took a 1950's Plymouth (I think that's what it was) and installed an aircraft control panel into it...and EVERYTHING WORKED. We had the most fun driving that thing around LA and I never forgot it. I have always wanted to do the same thing, but to a vehicle that I could use for more than just a joy ride.

I am thinking I would buy a wrecked airplane that I could remove the instruments and control panel from and install it into a van along with fixing up the back with things I would want to travel with when I work. I often have to stay where I go for several days and that is why I like to take my 5th wheel but that thing is limited by season and weather constraints. Here in SDAK, that Matters!

I guess I really would like the ER but may have to subsitute something a little less "bling" in the back like getting a truck mounted camper for my dually. The problem there is just expense of fuel...at 12 MPG on a good day, that thing is murder on the pocketbook!
//BT//
Old 04-08-2014, 06:11 PM

It would seem to me a person would be better off with a good old fashion mule. You can even eat it should it crap out on you. Works for near nothing and is reliable just to mention a few. What more could a true prepper ask for?

recoilless
Old 04-08-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icu4dzs View Post
Wouldn't it be helpful if there was a vehicle people could buy (already "tricked out" the way a smart person would want) that would allow for a number of contingencies? . . .
Imagine a vehicle with a control panel
navigation equipment
engine and system monitoring devices
GPS computer that is functional showing hybrid road/contour mapping,
a good two way radio system with UHF, VHF, CB and GMRS capability,
A tool box with some "GOOD" hand tools
a cooler/refrigerator for food,
Pioneer tool kit (shovel, bow saw, axe, etc)
Storage box for hot/cold weather necessary clothing
survival equipment,
a folding bunk and adequate insulation -20*F (or worse)
all of which could sustain life for at least 72 hours without having to consume all of the fuel in the tank?
How about UV headlight option to see through fog
and a Night vision capability as well?

Obviously, 4WD would need to be included.

While I am "pipe dreaming" I'd also want the roof to be a solar panel and there should be a good (1500 watt) inverter to be able to use some sorts of electrical device (circular saw?)

I envision such a vehicle looking like a panel van, with an aircraft control panel and two very comfortable seats.
The entire back of the van would be for living (in a manner of speaking)

I'll bet there are plenty of folks who would go for such a vehicle, particularly if it got really good gas mileage and had a decent suspension system.

You could go nearly anywhere and not be concerned about "what if" so long as you kept things inside "up to date" and out of the sun/subzero cold.
That's a fun notion . . . kind of like putting 10 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket (pail for you northerners).

You'd better include a sophisticated proximity alarm and an intruder disabling system.

Your covered wagon is missing one very important element that covered wagons of old used to have: Other covered wagons.

My pragmatic side says: For the price of a rig like that I would rather have two or three beat up looking Toyota or Ford 4wd with traveling associates so we could "circle the wagons" so to speak and watch each other's backs.

But my dreamer side says, what a cool idea. I did a google search for: all terrain rv
It reveals that several folks are thinking like you. Below is a cool one:

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:21 PM

I wish I had a picture of the Mud-buggys' the power companies use here in the swamps to string lines when other things cant get except a piroue(LOL)
Huge mud gripe tires,Floats/self propelled,cool machine--you could go over alot of terrain in it.

Those are some fancy toys--I wouldnt mind a half track.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoilless_57mm View Post
It would seem to me a person would be better off with a good old fashion mule. You can even eat it should it crap out on you. Works for near nothing and is reliable just to mention a few. What more could a true prepper ask for?

recoilless
We talked about that a few years back.
Donkeys and mules.
And even looked up the packs needed to load them.

Dad ate horse/mule meat during WW2.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:56 PM

That vehicle in the sportsmobile is pretty hot.

Be careful if you start reading build threads on forums - they will draw you in!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:56 PM
Master Pontificator

Originally Posted by Icu4dzs
Wouldn't it be helpful if there was a vehicle people could buy (already "tricked out" the way a smart person would want) that would allow for a number of contingencies? . . .
Imagine a vehicle with a control panel
navigation equipment
engine and system monitoring devices
GPS computer that is functional showing hybrid road/contour mapping,
a good two way radio system with UHF, VHF, CB and GMRS capability,
A tool box with some "GOOD" hand tools
a cooler/refrigerator for food,
Pioneer tool kit (shovel, bow saw, axe, etc)
Storage box for hot/cold weather necessary clothing
survival equipment,
a folding bunk and adequate insulation -20*F (or worse)
all of which could sustain life for at least 72 hours without having to consume all of the fuel in the tank?
How about UV headlight option to see through fog
and a Night vision capability as well?

Obviously, 4WD would need to be included.

I envision such a vehicle looking like a panel van, with an aircraft control panel and two very comfortable seats.
The entire back of the van would be for living (in a manner of speaking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
That's a fun notion . . . kind of like putting 10 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket (pail for you northerners).

You'd better include a sophisticated proximity alarm and an intruder disabling system.

Your covered wagon is missing one very important element that covered wagons of old used to have: Other covered wagons.

My pragmatic side says: For the price of a rig like that I would rather have two or three beat up looking Toyota or Ford 4wd with traveling associates so we could "circle the wagons" so to speak and watch each other's backs.

But my dreamer side says, what a cool idea. I did a google search for: all terrain rv

It may sound like a lot but most of it would fit into a small box. The Ford Earth Roamer has even more than that in it... It does lack some of the features I would like but then I'll bet for the $$ they are asking for it, I could get them to add what I wanted....
//BT//
Old 04-09-2014, 01:31 AM

for that type of money you could buy a small house in the back woods with acreage. the problem with any bug out vehicle is it would need fuel at some point.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 PM

UFF--DAA...... That Earthroamer is quite a lookin ride....

But like said, the used one at $160K is a little out of my budget...

The one on tracks looks a lot like a ski slope groomer, or Tundra Buggy of one kind or another.... They make a model kinda/sorta like the one on tracks... It has 2 to 6 holes in the floor for ice fishing....

Fun stuff to look at... Thanks for sharing...

Enjoy...
Old 04-10-2014, 12:07 AM

Default What ? How?

What kind of mileage could you possibly expect from a 8,000-10,000 pound vehicle? How could you make it tougher and lighter in order to get better mileage. I have built something along these lines years ago on a much lower dollar scale, and without many of the options that you want. It drank gas like mad, was also a lot of fun. But a long way short of your goal.

I think your goal is great how in the world you could ever possibly pull it together I have no idea.

But please let me wish you good luck.

Larry
South Central VA Since 2008
Old 04-10-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
That vehicle in the sportsmobile is pretty hot.

Be careful if you start reading build threads on forums - they will draw you in!
TRUE!!
Boys and Their Toys!! :
Old 05-01-2014, 02:50 AM

in case you win the lotto, sure you could have one of these bad boys tricked out. loosely based off the International CXT pickup

Old 05-01-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post

Isn't that the rover from Lost In Space?

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:18 PM

Default G

I hope all this vehicles are strong enough to pull a tanker to supply their fuel.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:33 AM

We had a diesel school bus painted green, most of the seats removed. Had a: wood stove, small diesel generator with inverter and battery bank, bunk beds, table, sink that dumped into a cutoff 55 gal barrel, 55-gal water barrel and berkey filter, TV, antenna for TV/radio/SW/CB, propane refrigerator/ice chest, kitchen cabinets. Hole with trap door on the floor used for ice fishing inside or a place to put a commode with another cutoff barrel underneath. Extra 55-gal barrel for bus fuel/generator. Set of tire chains. Chainsaw and hand tools.

Was not a lot of money but made a great deer camp that I now miss.