BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Auto/Truck/Other Transportation

Auto/Truck/Other Transportation If you use it to get from here to there, this is the place to talk about it and how to fix it.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default 6.2 diesel turns, will not run

my 1990 silverado was running ok, then simply stopped while running down the road. it turned over ok, but will not fire and run.

its getting fuel to the injector pump. the reserve bowl where the solenoid is, is full of fuel. there is the electrical snap when you connect the wire plug in to the pump. we wired the fuel solenoid open, but no change. we even gave it some either. no smoke even.

any help is appreciated
Old 04-18-2014, 07:19 PM

If you can get to them, try backing out the injectors to see if the fuel is getting there.

If not, your injector pump is bad

Have you tried it without the air filter?
Old 04-18-2014, 08:36 PM

Yep - diesels are kind of simple taking away any electronic stuff. All you need is fuel and air plus compression which is a given.

I agree with Bearfoot - first see if you are getting fuel to the injectors.

I don't know about the Chevy diesels, but worked on many VW turbo diesels. They also have a valve in the air intake line. What that does is when you turn the engine off, not only does it cut the fuel, but this valve will shut the intake air off also so the engine shuts down smoothly. If that intake air valve was stuck shut the engine wouldn't fire.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:12 PM

I'm not too familiar with Chevys either, but what Coaltrain said about the air shut-off device made me think it could also be a problem with your fuel cut-off system, since you said it stopped while running,

See if you can deternine if the electro-mechanical linkage is moving as it should when you turn the switch off and on

It should (if it's like my tractor) be near the top of the injector pump
Old 04-18-2014, 10:37 PM

Good catch Bearfoot - if not getting fuel at the injectors that would be a likely cause.

Fuel and air - air and fuel.........
Old 04-18-2014, 10:44 PM

Take the wire off the fuel solenoid, turn the key on now go and touch the wire to the solenoid and listen for click if so the solenoid is working. NO click you solenoid is bad

Check your fuel return line and make sure it is not plugged.

Make sure your Glow plugs are working. It is not wise to use starting fluid if your GP work. You could cause damage as the hot injectors can cause the ether to explode in all the cylinders at once causing damage. If using starting fluid disable the Glow Plugs.

Now if you use starting fluid the engine should run for a very short time until the ether is burnt off. If it does then you have narrowed it down to a fuel problem. I do not think all your injectors would go bad at once usually it will be rough running as each fails or clogs.
IS fuel pump mechanical or Elec? Could be a hole in a fuel line that only sucks in air when running but not big enough enough to leak fuel out. Fuel filter could be clogged.

And now the dreaded if it runs on starting fluid and dies. Sounds like your injector pump. My 85 Military Blazer did what your did. I checked it all replaced my mechanical fuel pump change filter all the cheap stuff firs.t. NO go it was my injector pump.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:38 AM

thank you all for info.

like i said, i put power to the injector pump and there is a electrical click, and i took it open and wired the solonoid open but it still dont run. i thought this would do it, if the pump is open it should put fuel through, so mabey the injectors are pluged ?

it dosnt seem like it is out of timeing, it should chug and smoke if the timeing wore off.

can the injectors get plugged ? with the filter, and the pressure from the ip ?

one fella told me the problem is the piston rings went out !

i have an 1986 ford 6.9, i am told the pumps are the same. im looking for youtube videos on how to install.

tomorrow if the wind isnt blowing a hundred mph ill pull some injectors and look at them
Old 04-19-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
it should chug and smoke if the timeing wore off.
It should smoke some if it's getting any fuel at all
And there's no way all your piston rings wore out at once

I'm still betting there's no fuel from the pump to the injectors
Old 04-19-2014, 05:27 AM

now that ya'll mention it does make sense that its a fuel issue, the injector pump itself is full of fuel, the bowl the solonoid is in.

replacing the little cap top that the solonoid is in, is easy and i have several around, how hard is it toe do the whole pump ? one gun online tonight said its like doing a timing gear chain set on a car, only not as hard. anyone done a ip on a 6.2 ?

mabey first do the injectors ?

Last edited by sethwyo; 04-19-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:44 AM

You can get kits to rebuild the pumps.
Usually it's the seals inside that go bad
The hard part is getting it timed just right when you put it back together

If you can loosen one of the injectors, and turn over the engine, you should be able to tell if it's pumping hard or if it seems weak, or has air in the lines

It takes special equipment to test injectors, and I highly doubt thats your problem
Old 04-19-2014, 11:11 AM

Injectors do not all go bad all at once.

Are you sure the fuel cut off is opening?

Just throwing a pump at it is just blindly throwing parts at it unless you are certain that is the cause.

Have you cracked an injector or 2 to see if you are getting fuel there? I'm still betting on a fuel cut off valve or something like that.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:48 AM

I believe the first thing to do is crack on injection line loose at the injector and have some one crank the engine.

This will tell you if the injection pump is turning and getting fuel. If you get air then the fuel system may have drawn air for some reason. If you find air in the injector line then bleed all the injector lines. Any air in that part of the system will not let enough pressure build up the crack the injector.

Just a note: Any diesel that has run dry on fuel will not start until the injector lines have been bled.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:07 PM

In addition to what J R Adams said - it sparked another idea.....I've seen this happen on tractors and small equipment (gas or diesel).

Check your fuel cap. If the vent in the fuel cap gets blocked with dirt or grime, it will cause a vacuum situation in the tank. If this happens the pump can't pull fuel out of the tank.

Easy enough to check. Remove the fuel cap while listening closely - if you hear a rush of air then the vent has been clogged. If you do hear that, then try starting it with the fuel cap off.

I've seen this happen on big trucks a couple times since the tank/cap is exposed to the elements.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:08 PM

Go to this website.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forum.php
Then click on the CUCV TM's link you will find a manual for troubleshooting.

There is one for the 6.2

The CUCV military used the 6.2 if you scroll down farther you will see CUCV TM's there are several there that will go into great detail for these engines depending on what level the vehicle is being worked on. From just the drive to a full rebuild at a rebuild facility.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:01 AM

took the lines loose, the metal tubes connected to the injectors and turned it over several times for several seconds each, there is some fuel showing up, but it is not squirting out. mabey only a few drops there.

the fuel is not squirting out as it should, i rember one time taking the glow plugs out of a international 6.9 and turning it over and the fuel shot several feet up into the air.

i became hopeful the lines wore only airlocked as suggested, when i thought about it it sounded like the reason, the truck was very low on fuel, i was almost home and there was no place to fuel up so i kept rolling along, i was going uphill when it quit.

Last edited by sethwyo; 04-24-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
there is some fuel showing up, but it is not squirting out.
It should have high pressure on that end of the system.
I think your pump needs rebuilding, but a good diesel mechanic should be able to test it for you

If you know how to do the proper air bleeding procedure you could try that and see it things improve.

It would also be a good time to change your fuel filters since that requires a bleeding too

Last edited by Bearfootfarm; 04-24-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:28 AM

Before you mess with the pump, remove the tank cap like Coaltrain suggested and see if you get better flow out of the pump. It might just be a vacuum build up in the tank.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:15 AM

Another item to look at is the fuel transfer pump. Don't know if it would be in the tank or in-line somewhere. If the fuel transfer pump went bad no fuel can get to the regular fuel pressure pump.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:46 AM

Had a 1996 6.5 Chevy. Had to have the PDM changed a couple times. Usually the engine would spin but would not fire.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:45 AM
Master Pontificator

Something similar to hunter happened also to my 6.0 diesel. Some glitch in the on-board computer wouldn't let the engine start. This happened to me at a Denny's 200 miles from home.

Another patron suggested disconnecting both batteries so the computer would reset itself. I did that and it started right up.