BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Auto/Truck/Other Transportation

Auto/Truck/Other Transportation If you use it to get from here to there, this is the place to talk about it and how to fix it.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:46 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
I did that and it started right up.
That's one of the best feelings in the world
Old 04-25-2014, 03:21 PM

changed the fuel filter, filled it up first, put a new transfer pump on it, it does work. i took the cap off and put in a jug of fuel to the tank, so there should be no suckage there. dissconected the batterys for a few days too,

i did look into the PDM not working, but im not sure the 1990 has one, i cannot locate one on the on my truck, and can not find anything usfull in my online searchs about a PDM on the 1990 silverado 6.2.

i can search ~location of PDM on 1990 chevy silverado ~ and get a million and a half pages to look at, but i have not found anything that describes the PDM on this year and model.

on some later models they say it is behind the dashboard box compartment, but it is not on the 1990
Old 04-25-2014, 06:23 PM

We have a fleet of nine CUCV's with the 6.2. I have read through this thread, but I don't think you have said if you are getting smoke out of your exhaust pipe. Are you? That is step #1. If you are getting smoke, then you are getting fuel. We need to establish this fact before we go any further.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:37 PM

No, no smoke. sorry i didnt state that before.

this does have a fuel pump relay, and a fuel pump fuse, that are black boxs on the fire wall, but the electric fuel transfer pump does work.

i can find no PDM on this vehicle, or any reference to one on this year of chevy.

it may seem a simple matter to determine if my truck has a PDM, but the guys at the local parts house cant even tell me if it does or not.

Last edited by sethwyo; 04-25-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
i did look into the PDM not working, but im not sure the 1990 has one, i cannot locate one on the on my truck, and can not find anything usfull in my online searchs about a PDM on the 1990 silverado 6.2.

i can search ~location of PDM on 1990 chevy silverado ~ and get a million and a half pages to look at, but i have not found anything that describes the PDM on this year and model.
I am no mechanic, so you will have to bear with me when I say something stupid.

On my 96 I know it was towards the back of the engine. I didn't see all the work while it was done. Now here is where I'll sound real stupid. They took off something that was on top of the engine that I know was aluminum. I know this because in one spot where it was bolted down the aluminum was broken and it had to be welded. If I remember right normally this would not have to be taken off, but one of the wires that went to the PDM was stuck under it.

In my case they attached a new PDM up front on top and just plug the wires into it, which wouldn't reach at first because the wire was stuck. Because it was now up front and on top they could not put the plastic cover back on that went over the engine.

It was nice it was hooked up that way, because after that I could take it off myself and just run it back to the mechanic so they could give me a new one.

Have no idea if this has anything to do with yours. Mine would usually act up when it was warmed up and I'd shut it off. I'd go back to try and start it, and it would just spin but never fire. Which sounded like yours, just spinning, no fire, and no smoke. Usually with mine if it sat for a few hours and cooled, it would then start again. But once when it went bad it all of a sudden ran rough for a bit and died, then it would just spin.

I finally solved the problem the last time I had a hard time starting it. Once I got it started I traded it in quick for a new truck. I just didn't shut it off for 5 or 6 hours till the deal was done. lol
Old 04-26-2014, 12:04 AM

the PDM i was shown, is flat box shaped, alunimun, with fins. that is for the mid 90's models and after market ones.

there is a device on the back of my engine, that i have not yet been able to identify. it has two plug ins like spark plug plug ins, and a flat 4 prong plug in from the wiring harness.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:13 AM

Your Injector pump is full of fuel. So no airlock up to that point. You have an electric pump so that is better than a mechanical if you are bleeding the system.

If you crack all the lines and getting fuel out of it the lines are full of fuel. If it just dribbles or spits a little out then either your injectors are all bad. Do not think they all go bad at once. Sounds like your IP is bad. Either rebuild yourself if you have the knowledge or buy a rebuilt one and install it yourself. Or take it to a diesel shop and have them do the work. Mine was about $1,000 for them to do the work if I remember that was two years ago. Runs like a champ now.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...njector%20Pump
Old 04-26-2014, 02:05 AM

Quote:
the PDM i was shown, is flat box shaped, alunimun, with fins. that is for the mid 90's models and after market ones.
The new one they put on my truck was about 3' by 3", maybe 1/2" think, and with fins. Two bolts held it in place.

Quote:
there is a device on the back of my engine, that i have not yet been able to identify. it has two plug ins like spark plug plug ins, and a flat 4 prong plug in from the wiring harness.
My PDM had a flat 4 prong plug in, but that was the only electrical connection. Of course I never saw how things were hooked up to the PDM at the back of the engine.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...nd-my-pdm.html
Old 04-26-2014, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwyo View Post
took the lines loose, the metal tubes connected to the injectors and turned it over several times for several seconds each, there is some fuel showing up, but it is not squirting out. mabey only a few drops there.

the fuel is not squirting out as it should, i rember one time taking the glow plugs out of a international 6.9 and turning it over and the fuel shot several feet up into the air.

I became hopeful the lines wore only airlocked as suggested, when i thought about it it sounded like the reason, the truck was very low on fuel, i was almost home and there was no place to fuel up so i kept rolling along, i was going uphill when it quit.
Sounds like ya pulled some air and lost prime to the fuel pump from the tank. Are there filter canisters between the tank and the pump that can hold air? Is there any way to purge the fuel line/filter(s) between the tank and the pump? Just a guess..
*Robert Frost*
Old 04-26-2014, 12:23 PM

its got fuel to the injector pump, the box shaped fuel filter on the motor has a bleeder. when i open it it lets fuel out.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:59 PM

Not saying the problem is the PDM, but when mine wouldn't start my mechanic would open the bleed at the top of the engine and fuel would pour out when you turned it over.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:49 PM

we are pretty sure this 1990 model does not have a PDM, the parts books at the parts house do not have one listed for the 1990 model.

as for bleeding the lines, they tell me that the pump will bleed its self. i dont nowe.

is there any thing i can do with the IP to determin if its not working ?
Old 04-26-2014, 04:41 PM

Our 6.2's are from the mid '80's so probably are a little different. Coming off of the top of IP should be the fuel return line. On mine it is a small black rubber hose. Remove it at this point and have someone turn the engine over. If no fuel comes out, then it is either the fuel shut off solenoid or something has broken in the injection pump. The fuel shutoff solenoid is a copper coil that is underneath the top cover of IP. It should have 12 volts going to it when the key is turned on. You should be able to remove the cover and see if the solenoid is visibly turning off and on. It will only move a small amount.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:13 PM

the pump you describe is what iv got on mine, it is the same as the ones used on the international 6.9 and 7.3 that ford used.

when the solonoid goes you can wire it open and keep on truckin, but it dosnt seem to be the solonoid in my case.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:22 PM

Sounds like its the injection pump then. The only other possibility that I can think of is the IP drive gear has sheared. I can't remember how it is retained onto the pump. Could be keyed, but I just can't remember.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:26 PM

Gentlemen,
I am still of the opinion that the vehicle inadvertantly ran out of fuel.
Until the injector lines are bled one at a time, until there is enough pressure to crack the injectors the engine will not run.

I'll await learning of the final solution

Last edited by J R Adams; 04-27-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:44 PM

iv been working on the injector fuel lines today, to do this, i turn one back an estimated quarter inch,where the fuel line is attached to the injector, turn the motor about 5 seconds, then let the batterys recharge awhile, i have now finally got some fuel coming out around the fuel line, so i tightened that one up and went to the next. so it does seem the fuel injector pump has not died.

several people have suggested that i need only crank the motor as long as it takes to get it to run, they say it will bleed its slef, this is however very hard on starters and batterys.

i do not understand this 'air lock' problem, i have made the mistake of running 6.2 diesels empty before, i reprimed the filters and cranked them only a few seconds and they fired and ran.

Last edited by sethwyo; 04-27-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:35 AM

i cracked the injector lines one at a time and cranked it with a 200 amp boost charger on the batterys, after several days of doing this, i started smelling a very faint exast smell.

i never did see any fuel squirt from the injectors, but it did dribbel out a little. today it started chugging a bit. and it finally fired and ran for a few seconds. then a few more seconds.

so its back on the road now, and in the nick of time too. Thank you to everyone here who posted advice and info.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:41 AM

Wow - that's great - glad to hear that! Just gets me to wondering how that much air got into the system though.......

Keep that fuel cap loose for a while.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:54 PM

Funny thing- almost the same thing happened to me the other day. 6.2 had been sitting all winter, went to start it and no smoke. Had a good stream at the bleeder valve on the filter, but nothing at the injectors. Pulled the top of the IP to make sure that the shut off solenoid was working- it was. Got the fuel out of the pump, so I could see better down inside there. Everything looked OK. I moved the fuel shut off rod back and forth manually several times. Put it all back together, turned the engine over and fuel started coming out at the injector lines. Hooked the lines back up and it started right up and ran great. The one thing that I noticed is the the military ones, like we have, use a 24 volt starter with 2 batteries and they crank over way better than the 12 volt units. Anyway, congratulations on getting yours going.