BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Forum Rules, Help, Announcements, & Testing > Forum Help

Forum Help If you are having difficulty with a Forum feature and cannot resolve it by reading the related FAQ, you can post your question here. Include details!

Old 04-18-2014, 11:22 PM

Default This forum takes Forevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvver

To Load for me, can admin please look into this for me, I have ad block,
but I have disabled it for this site, but it still hasn't helped. I am thinking of just not coming here anymore., TIA for any help you can give!

Michele
Old 04-19-2014, 12:00 AM
Grand Master Pontificator
Super Moderator

What type of internet service do you have? I use an air card and it loads fine for me.
*Robert Frost*
Old 04-19-2014, 12:45 PM

I too use an air card (AT&T), but frequently have trouble with this and some other sites. Page keeps jumping all over the place--up and down while the page is loading which at times can as Michele said, take forever.. Other times, no problem at all.

JVC
Old 04-19-2014, 03:42 PM

You should go to member CP. There you can set how you want to display ( settings and option). You can choose not to display such thing as avatars, bylines, images , and signature. These option are really important for those on limited data plans and should help your speed issue.bit is not an site issue but involved your service and the amount of data you're trying to download .

Last edited by MissouriFree; 04-19-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:58 AM

It has been slow as late - I wonder if it is related to numerous sites apply updates due to Heartbleed?
Old 04-20-2014, 11:20 AM

Lightbulb It's not me..... it's your ISP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena View Post
It has been slow as late - I wonder if it is related to numerous sites apply updates due to Heartbleed?
No. This site is rated GREEN. No Heartbleed.
Check for yourself: http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...heartbleed.htm

" Firefox and Chrome Browser Extensions that Check for Heartbleed
Updated 18. April 2014 - 1:38 by v.laurie

The Heartbleed bug is a very nasty Internet problem that affects us all. Dealing with it is complex and not clear-cut at this time but one thing that many Internet users want to do is check sites to see which ones might still be subject to the bug.

A previous article gave some ways to check sites but a simpler method is now available with new browser extensions for Firefox and for Chrome. How accurate these extensions are I donít know and they have some other limitations but I still thought it worth pointing them out. "

This site is loading just fine for me.
It is not the server, it must be your connection to it.

Check you local ISP: http://www.speedtest.net/
Old 04-21-2014, 10:24 AM

This is the only site that loads slow for me. And no offense but I'm not convinced that any site can be sure that they are "green".
Old 04-22-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena View Post
Like Selena, this is the only site that is this slow for me.

Micheel
Old 04-23-2014, 09:32 AM

Red, green, brown, pink-bunch of fluff. The web is merely an extension of that old saw about ,"Build a better mouse trap..." I am on dial up by preference and I have found that the one thing that speeds up load speeds for me is NoScript. It is not available on all browsers but on those that offer it this add-on greatly accelerates load times on sites. I have found that by forbidding Google things fly along much better. Many will pooh pooh this, but that is opinion and nothing more.
IF you install NoScript be aware that you can 'outfox' yourself and make the settings too strict-there is a balance line somewhere in there. I have no interest in youtub or any of the movie or shimmery things so this works well for me. I am not on a tear against google but I have found them to be the main culprit in slow load speeds on many sites.
I also run AdBlock Plus as an aid in ridding my screen of images and ads I find lame or offensive. Makes for a much leaner and simple time on the web. Both of these things take a little time to adjust to personal preferences and the majority of people will not invest the effort. It all comes down to personal choice.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Nothing seems to be amiss with the software.

The Forum loads for me in about a second using Firefox and Chrome, but I have a relatively fast cable connection (47 Mbps down, 11 Mbps up).

Anyone who wants to check their speeds can do so here: http://www.att.com/speedtest/ You don't have to give them your email address. Just click on Start Test.

If you go to your Member CP >> Settings & Options >> Edit Options and scroll down to Thread Display Options, you can disable Signature, Avatar, and Image loading, and choose how you want threads displayed, including how many per page.

Page load speed may also depend on the time of day you are viewing the Forum. On many providers' systems, the more people online in a particular node, the slower the speed for all of them. I see that with my connection during the day, when lots of businesses are online, and early evening, when folks are jumping online after dinner.

If anyone whose pages are loading slow does find a solution, please post it here for other members.

Thanks!

Oliver
Old 04-24-2014, 05:38 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by askew View Post
NoScript.....
I also run AdBlock Plus as an aid in ridding my screen of images....
Both of those are good. I run AlBlock Plus all the time.
https://adblockplus.org/en/about

No Script is helpful but a pain to use if you want to see the flashy ads, games, videos, and other things. It takes a lot of adjustments to give it permission to run in the places that you want to see them.
http://noscript.net/
Old 04-24-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidOH View Post
Both of those are good. I run AlBlock Plus all the time.
https://adblockplus.org/en/about
I thought I was good at just ignoring ads all this time. I just installed AdBlock Plus. It integrates perfectly with Chrome. I love seeing the little number indicating the number of ads it blocks on each page.

A couple forums I frequent are terrible with many ads. I have a relatively fast connection, but with so many ads I can watch the urls load in the first 2 seconds of each page. Now the pages load instantly on those forums. Each page there showed 23 ads per page!

Thanks for sharing this!
Old 04-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Administrator

It turns out, the recent slowness of the Forum loading was due to a server problem. I'll spare you the details, but the system has been rebooted and should be fine.

That said, the problem occurred due to some monthly maintenance that happens automatically, so if you notice things slowing down again for more than a few hours, please email me at webmaster[at]backwoodshome.com to let me know. Please do not PM me as I might miss that.

Something else to consider, that can be the cause of slow connections speeds, is the way your computer or device connects to our server. It is not a direct connection. Instead, packets of information are sent in a stream and those packets can take routes that pass through as many as a dozen routers on the way from you to us and then from us back to you. If one or more of those routers is running slow or dropping even 1/2% of packets, it can result in the slow loading many of you were seeing. That is just the nature of the Internet and how it works.

Please do let me know if the Forum loads slowly for more than a few hours. It might not be our server, but at least we can check.

Thanks!

Oliver
Old 04-26-2014, 03:08 PM

That is a huge improvement Oliver!

I didn't have any problems with page loading (fast connection here), but in the past 2 days it was terrible to the point in the pages timing out.

Now it is super snappy - problem solved!
Old 06-04-2014, 11:29 AM

Seems to be working better now! Thanks! Michele