BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 04-20-2014, 02:02 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Old Sewing Machine

So....... I got this old portable sewing machine..... It is a Euro Pro, All Metal Construction..... Is what it says on it... There is a model number... I tried to look it up, but couldn't find that particular model... It dates somewhere about 1985......

With half off and senior discount it was less than $10.00 out the door at the thrift store.... Before I bought it, I set in in the cart, threaded it up and tried it out... Got it home, cleaned and lubed it, and it does 8 out of the 10 stitches that it says it can... No problem...

The problem is, I was zipping along on my project this evening, and it bound up... Dug out the thread explosion under the foot and bobbin.... To find out the little spring that holds tension on the spool thread broke...

Now what..... ??? Got to looking at it.... Drilled a small hole.... Bent a paper clip..... And got a spring out of a ball point pen.... Seems to work OK so far.....

Don't know how long it will last... But will call the place next week, that fixes machines and see if I can get a new spring, and a spare, maybe...

It is kind of weird to thread it up, but it seems to work OK... Of course I'm running button and carpet thread through a jeans needle....

I suppose it's doing pretty good for me being a sewing klutz....
Old 04-20-2014, 12:29 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

WYO
I had to replace my Mother sewing machine spring also--only I used a old fashioned door spring--took a bit of tiny space work but she used it for years.

You did (good)
Old 04-20-2014, 08:27 PM

Wyobuckaroo, you would be a bonafied sewing machine mechanic at my house. that's ingenuity.