BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 05-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Buying bulk fuel oil

Oh how I hate this......

We've used our wood stove for heat for the past 10+ years, but due to certain circumstances we will have to use our oil furnace now. I'm trying to figure out the best time in the next couple months to buy at the lowest price.

The first couple years we lived here 20+ years ago it didn't matter as much as fuel oil was less than $1 per gallon then. I still remember my first delivery which was $0.52 per gallon.

I need to top off my 1000 gallon underground tank. I haven't dipped it yet, but estimate I will need 400-500 gallons. Plus I need to have my 150 gallon skid tank filled for my tractor.

So at ~600 gallons this is a huge purchase and want to get the price right. Last year I had just my 150 gallon tank filled for $3.15 per gallon. I noticed over the past winter the price was over $4 per gallon.

I am trying not to be obsessive about this, but I have looked at some history graphs for both wholesale and retail pricing. According to what I see, it looks like the 2nd or 3rd week of June has been the lowest.

Anyone else buy their fuel in bulk like this? How do you determine the best time to buy?

There are only 2 oil distributors that will deliver where I am. I pay cash for the delivery.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:14 PM

What the hell..... NOT obsessive at all.... After all it is your cash....

I only buy off road diesel for my tractor.... So I've read a lot that says small tractor motors are some what sensitive to cold weather jell problems... A little more so being my tractor is an older model.... With that in mind, I keep 3 five gallon fuel cans that I fill in winter with 60/40 winter blend fuel.... I have one fuel can I fill as needed with strait summer off road fuel..... That way I always have blended fuel if the weather, spring, fall, winter is cool enough to make the air pre-heater kick in on a cold start.... Have not had any fuel related problems yet, knock on wood.....
===
I did some checking around, like said to shop a little for the best price... And found it was cheapest to stay with my current propane supplier... My new budget billing contract price was better than any other option I could find.... Only amounts to about $1 a day more than the last budget after all the crazy stuff last winter... I can live with that I guess....

Plus... I was able to time my will call fill ups so that I ended the old budget contract with a full tank at the old price just before the contract expired.... Score.....

Yes.... I remember filling a 20# bottle for about $5. to run the hunting camp cook stove.... Now they are $18.....

Good luck with that....
Old 05-08-2014, 02:42 PM

I did use my 5 gallon jugs for my tractor the past couple years. But because of this #$%^ RA I just can't heft the jugs anymore. I have to take them out of the pickup to be filled at the gas station - just can't lift the full jug up onto the tailgate. Then my fuel fill on my tractor is up on the hood - my wife had to help me last year to get the jug up that high to fill the tank.

I was reading here and on another forum about the propane prices in the mid-west last winter. Crazy prices and limited availability. I'm so glad to have the 1000 gallon tank. Not only can I buy once a year at a better price, but also my driveway is not conducive to any non-4WD vehicles in the winter. Can't have anything delivered once the first snows hit.

I'm pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger on the fuel the 2nd or 3rd week of June. Years ago with a different distributor (that is now out of business) they would give me a float on the price when I ordered it. I was quoted the price of the day when I ordered it. Then since it would take them 3-5 weeks to deliver, if the price on delivery day was less they would just charge me that. That was a little peace of mind there - I'm going to ask for something similar when I order next month.

Here was my project this morning. Added the filter setup. Man, pipe fittings got awful expensive since I last bought some - the filter, housing, and fittings cost $40! But I figure that $40 worth of filter is good protection for a $4k engine.

Last edited by coaltrain; 05-08-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:01 PM

If the plumbing fittings are brass, blame the price increase on "lead free" brass now required for household water plumbing.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:20 PM

Dude..... You lucky duck.....

To run across that tank and pump is an AWESOME score....

I have read a lot about people building different systems for fuel in the small tractor forums.... They get some really fancy, impressive systems.... Some of these people must have more money then God...

I can handle the full 5 gallon containers in and out of the truck, but I only use a half full to fill the tractor... That way it isn't such a strain to reach...
And cleaner, easier.....

Good luck
Old 06-11-2014, 04:22 PM

Well I called and ordered my fuel today - ouch!

The lady I spoke with was very nice. I explained that I wanted 425 gallons in my heating oil tank (still have 500 gallons left....) and 75 gallons in my skid tank. That's when it got interesting....

She said they can not pump heating oil into a farm tank - but they can pump farm fuel into a heating tank. OK......

She was great and explained it to me and figured out the best price for what I wanted to do. The farm fuel is less than the heating fuel except I have to pay sales tax (I do not have tax exemption). But the cost of the farm fuel with the tax added is more than the heating oil. OK....

So then I asked the obvious question - it's all just #2 diesel, isn't it? Well, yes it is.

So I am getting my 425 gallons in my heating tank, and 75 gallons in my "farm" tank. Delivery will be with the same truck with the same fuel - just 2 different delivery tickets. OK.....

Price on the heating oil after discount for cash and discount for 400+ gallons is $3.43. Price on the farm fuel including tax is $3.51.

The best part is this - I am locked in at the price above, but if the price is lower the day of delivery I pay the lower price. That's good enough for me.

I can't wait to get that "farm" tank filled. I had to fill my tractor with the 5 gal jug again yesterday and took it to get filled also. Had to have my wife help me with both.