BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control

Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control Please...no posts about Barney, Kermit, Miss Piggie, etc.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:17 PM
Master Pontificator

Default War: Rats, bugs and the welfare entitlement slugs.

Got few neighbors....they do nothing but eat, sleep and watch tv....their yard and house a junk pile.... their yard and lot are covered with invasive weeds and vines that will kill your trees and anything living...no joke. An of coarse with that comes the rats. I have lots of cats ...one that is good at killing them but the cats have either come lazy and the rats know it or the rats are producing again major high rates. When I first moved here....I put at major large amount De Con traps in PVC pipes....enough to kill at least 400 rats (no joke)...that made the neighbor....ha. ha clean up a little as the rats where going over there to die....but the problem insured so I told everyone,... I was going to get cats and a bunch of them. Noting that pissed off a few neighbors who hate cats but I told them either they help play to kill the rats or it was the cats. That stop the problem for the last six years....I have fruit trees, the ship rats and roof rats climb the trees and eat the fruit and often you can here them crashing through the trees at night. But the rats are back as I can see chew up fruit in the trees. Right now I do not know what I am going to do....any suggestions would help? I think it is the weather, this small rainy humid ....all winter to now that is helping the pest?
Last three months a major invasion of ants and fleas....spent good time and money bomb my place with chemicals which I never do...but it got so bad no choices. The islands temp. never go below 65 and becomes a major breeding ground for bugs.....the ants, roaches, and termites you are at war with. I must an a few black ant colonies under the house, because it had to be in the millions died before it got normal. Any thing you have done for major infestion let me know ....will be highly appreciated!!!
Old 05-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Ship rats--called wharf rats here---they chew to sharpen their teeth--not to eat the wood--they can chew through a house quickly.

I had access to cedar chips I made a solution that spray around/under everything kills them.
I dont think there's any cedar on the Big Island.

Of course foks will throw a fit when I say this--One Bait Rat poison will do them in.
But it has to e put in places that domestic animals cant get too.
Perhaps in a long pipe--nothing but the rats can get too.

nasty critters to say the least.

Now fire ants are a real problem here.
I just go for the ant killer---they flash mob you--their bite makes some folks sick and can kill a new born calf/puppies etc in a few minutes.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:33 PM
Master Pontificator

So far no rats in the house...I have cats inside also. I hate rats and mice in the house. I look into the cedar....see if someone has some. I Know the bait kills them....but the issue is I may have a large amount of them.....it is hard to bait to kill over 400 rats....although again I may have to go back and do that....or I may have to do whole number of things including not feeding the cats so much. I do not know...just need to ponder ideas and solutions..... These neighbors that grow rat homes are the issue too....I just do not understand how you can live in such dirty conditions worst then the homeless..watch tv and eat, and eat and eat....with tax payer money....but that is what I get for living out in the country. I also...have the drug dealer which cause chaos....down the street which the law enforcement does nothing about, as they sell on the highway in front of everyone. Drug dealers I can handle,... it is the doped out freaks that come to buy that are dangerous. Sorry I am ranting....again.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:41 PM

We know there's no place like home, but it doesn't sound like there's too much to recommend your particular location. Are you under house arrest or something so you can't pick up and leave?
Old 05-20-2014, 11:17 PM

I haven't had rats to deal with..... But chipmunks have been a problem to me.... They have wrecked things in out buildings all over the place... They ate the wire harness out of a combine.... And worst than that.... They chewed up the ignition system on my outboard motor....

My best weapons have been a wood board platform rat trap.... And a pellet rifle... The board platform trap is more powerful than any of the other traps available... Drill a hole in the platform behind the killing side of the platform, so you can tie a cord on to anchor the trap... That way if you catch something, and some scavenger wants to eat the trap contents.... That's fine.... You just don't want the consumer to take the trap where you can't find it...

I have found a trap in a box is a very good weapon to let chipmunks get in, but keep squirrels and other stuff out...

Best bait I have found is a salted in the shell peanut tied to the trap pan with a bread wrapper twist tie... And a little peanut butter smeared on top of that....

Poison bait in a long pipe.... What ever you have to do to get the job done.... But you MUST be VERY persistent in your effort to prevail....

Good luck
Old 05-21-2014, 02:21 AM
Master Pontificator

Doc.....As far as the islands..... we have rats, mice, cockroaches that move the furniture around, and termites, and third world people who eat your pets if you do not tie them up....you live here, you deal with it. We do not have snakes nor poison ivy nor squirrels eating your wires. Believe me one does think about moving.....but talking with others it is bad all over. I am sure there are some places still that have zero crime and issues....but I have police friends all over states and they say those place are getting so they are not a safe zone either. I have very serious bone issues....and those bones have to stay warm or they shut down. I have people calling me all the time....stay where you are, because I am in Texas or what ever...my bones are killing me. My health plus my grown children are here. I moved here from Dayton Ohio it was January and 21 below zero..... been here almost 30 years and plan to die here. I could go back home but what is in Ohio and what can a cripple person do??? other then watch tornado's fly by or freeze to death inside your home or get shot at?? crime was horrid when I left, can't image what it is like now, .....other then it is cheap and could live better then I am now....but I am older and this environment is my life. I wanted to move to Australia rainforest until I found out they have spiders big enough to catch flying birds... I know one thing no matter where you live you will never be free of rift raft, bugs, and pest ....so I just deal with it. Muttering ....
Old 05-21-2014, 02:25 PM

We have had trouble with critters chewing cable, things would not start. Tabasco painted on cables keeps them from that. I just soaked a rag with it and wiped over.

I guess you have to be keeping rat poison out all the time, kill off before they can multiply. My grandmother said, a fly killed in spring is 500 less in summer. Maybe that works for rats, too. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:08 PM

Aloha..... WW...
I think it will be interesting to get regular "real life" prospective reports from "paradise"..... The stuff we see on TV is neat, but not necessarily realistic how it is...

Yes.... I have to agree.... I guess you have to be keeping rat poison out all the time, kill off before they can multiply. My grandmother said, a fly killed in spring is 500 less in summer.
===
Rodents, insects, dandelions all are easier to keep under control the best you can when you hit them hard and fast early in the season....

Here in the north, they are starting to give warning about wood ticks season starting with a vengeance now....

Take care...
Old 05-21-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorwoman View Post
... and third world people who eat your pets if you do not tie them up....
Now that's funny.

I always wanted to know, if you live in Hawaii, where do you go on vacation?

I know just what you mean about being tied to a place because of family. I have no place to criticize you- I live in Illinois. I must be nuts to stay.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Master Pontificator

I know,.. it is funny the things I say, people always get a good laugh, for that I am glad... but Actually it is not a joke....about the pets being eaten by humans. We do not have wolfs, we have live human being. We are Hawaii,... we have people from all over the world living here....and we do not sub divide into groups or sub division living. I wish it was funny.....but the biggest fear out here....as tons of pets go missing each year....and the news papers talking about it all the time. People from other countries eat cat and dog....they say it is good meat for them it is normal way of life, as much as it is the same as it is for us to eat chicken. To them animals are food.... the argument with the state is do we have a right to condemn these people rights? Big news headlines in Hawaii, not that long ago. People go to the golf coarse tie up the dog and go into the place to eat. Come out the dog is gone. It seems two workers at the golf coarse saw the dog, took him home,... of coarse they ate him. Noted this is a top golf coarse costing over 300 dollars to play a game. It hits the papers front page, everyone is having a cow for the two hundredth time. Everyone has pets go missing, either the animal killers got them (humane society) or they are being dinner. I have lost more then I can say.....I do not know what happens to them. If the animal does not stay on my property, they will not make it here. I had a black dog, I was told I need to protect him major (not the other way around). There one kind of people here that believe you will get magical strength if you eat black dog.....so if you own a black dog then you better protect his life. Everyone who does not live here think we all live without cares or worries in this magical paradise.....yes it is beautiful beyond belief....but beyond that we survive just like you do. Oh yea I did a search on the net....those spiders that catch birds and eat them are real.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:03 PM
Master Pontificator

Doc I never believe you where criticizing....it is just you do not know. You can say anything to me, as I am good soul for conversation of any kind.... I love joking around and having some fun. Top spot of vacation for Hawaii. Las Vegas ( it is cheaper then vacation here) and people love to gamble from the islands. Another big vacation is cruises to Alaska, most people never seen snow. Another spot if you have money.....Thailand, Japan, Bali, Fuji, Philippines, and etc. No money we go to Kauai, Molokai, Maui visit family and friends. Me,.... I have been unable to travel ....back issues, can not sit for any period of time with out pain.....for the last 9 years. Vacation is going to the beach with grandchildren or campfire cook out on the beach......not to long ago my daughter flew in,...we were on the beach watching about 30 sea turtles come to coral reef and eating sea weed,.. they were so close you could touch them. I took my grand daughter to a place where she could play with a dolphin, it will be a life time memory for her. The wonders of life and living can heal the soul....
Old 05-21-2014, 07:21 PM

I spent some time working in Hawaii in 89-91.
There was a big story in Maui about some people that got a dog from the local shelter.
Later that day one of the ladies from the shelter drove by their house and the dog was hanging in a tree bleeding out.
Man was that a big deal. People were fighting mad.
Every day I would tell the local guy I was working with it was time to go to black dog lunch. Man I loved those plate lunch specials. Not dog as far as I know but I spent a lot of time in the Philippines so who knows what I've eaten.
I read not long ago that Hawaii was trying to outlaw eating pets.
Not sure what happened about that.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:44 PM
Master Pontificator

As all things in political they will be fighting about it for the next 20 years ....spending our hard earn tax money. It is illegal sort of....as those guys at the golf coarse got major fined for animal cruelity...but the all famous prejudice against minority groups were shouting loud and clear. It is still all at a stand still,....like most things in Hawaii, we have tons of really stupid people living here that love to fight about everything. Like for example in the mainland you can build a road and it is built in a few months. Here the H-3 was 20 some years or more of fighting and spending tons and tons of money fighting. They are doing the same thing about the tram, everyone wars about everything....and they major cost money we do not have.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:34 AM

Pests, ya we got some but not like the people on the coast. No fire ants, no slugs, no warf rats but we do have a few pack rats. Very little fleas, Tics can be a problem if we have a mild winter, Probably the politicians are the worst rodents we have and they run in 2 and 4 year cycles.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash View Post
I spent some time working in Hawaii in 89-91.
There was a big story in Maui about some people that got a dog from the local shelter.
Later that day one of the ladies from the shelter drove by their house and the dog was hanging in a tree bleeding out.
Man was that a big deal. People were fighting mad.
Every day I would tell the local guy I was working with it was time to go to black dog lunch. Man I loved those plate lunch specials. Not dog as far as I know but I spent a lot of time in the Philippines so who knows what I've eaten.
I read not long ago that Hawaii was trying to outlaw eating pets.
Not sure what happened about that.
I just have to say it---you know who in the White House is from your paradise and ate dog as a youngun.
As an animal rescuer,I am stunned by this practice and wonder what animal groups are doing about it?

On the mainland we are fighting those that use dogs to fight and kill other dogs for money.(It is illegal)
Seems the problem of animal-abuse knows no borders huh?
Old 05-22-2014, 02:49 PM

Why should we look down on other cultures and thier ways ?
Maybe if we didn't we wouldn't be disliked so much.
Respect is a two way street folks.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 05-22-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:18 PM

Yes.... I do agree.... Respecting a different culture is common courtesy I would expect from others.... For instance... I have no problem eating pork... Others don't.... I think there is one or more cultures that don't eat beef....

In my lifetime, I MAY have unknowingly eaten dog... This would be from one or more of the northern reservations near where I have lived and grew up around..... Actually... If there was dog on the table, it wasn't bad...

Now.... If someone kidnaps little Fluffy from the yard just to make soup for lunch..... THAT.... I would be upset about... And rightly so...

Take care...
Old 05-22-2014, 03:43 PM

I don't have a problem with people eating dog meat or anything else they want to eat.
Different cultures have different beliefs, just look at what they eat on pizza.
So who am I to say what's right or wrong.
I would guess if people in America were starving to death they will eat anything available, including dogs and cats.
However to get a dog from the pound then hang it in a tree, cut its throat and let it bleed out in the front yard is a bit much.

I don't think Obama ate dog in Hawaii.
I lived in the same neighborhood he did in 1966.
He ate it while in Kenya.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Why should we look down on other cultures and thier ways ?
Maybe if we didn't we wouldn't be disliked so much.
Respect is a two way street folks.
Eating dog is very offense to me--How about they respect my rights also.
Thats a 2-way street.

I have spent many hours fostering and caring for dogs so that wouldnt suffer.

I have rights also---along with these creatures who love and depend on us to protect them.

MOF--you go ahead and have dog for supper tonite-----disgusting.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash View Post
I don't have a problem with people eating dog meat or anything else they want to eat.
Different cultures have different beliefs, just look at what they eat on pizza.
So who am I to say what's right or wrong.
I would guess if people in America were starving to death they will eat anything available, including dogs and cats.
However to get a dog from the pound then hang it in a tree, cut its throat and let it bleed out in the front yard is a bit much.

I don't think Obama ate dog in Hawaii.
I lived in the same neighborhood he did in 1966.
He ate it while in Kenya.
Where ever--he ate dog and bragged about it--I have wonder about the 2 he has in the WH now---are they safe?