BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control

Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control Please...no posts about Barney, Kermit, Miss Piggie, etc.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:22 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
Eating dog is very offense to me--How about they respect my rights also.
Thats a 2-way street.

I have spent many hours fostering and caring for dogs so that wouldnt suffer.

I have rights also---along with these creatures who love and depend on us to protect them.

MOF--you go ahead and have dog for supper tonite-----disgusting.
Anne why would you make a silly statement about me like that?
It's not about eating its about respecting others as you expect them to respect you. Because you don't like something that does not mean everyone in the world should change thier ways does it!

Last edited by MissouriFree; 05-22-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:51 PM

Dogs ,cats and snakes are the major source of protein for the vast majority of people in the world. The French love horse meat. To each his own.

But, if I walked my pet cow down the street and tied it to a pole while shopping and it was gone when I got back, stolen and used for food by someone, I'd be just as p*ssed as if it were a dog. It's not the type of animal-- it's the fact it was stolen. Who do they think they are? They're just common thieves.

BTW- BO may or may not be an American by birth, but he certainly isn't an American by up-bringing. He was raised in Malaysia by a mother and step-father who hated the US. I don't care if he ate dog. I'm just sorry he didn't choke on it.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:07 PM

I was going to respond about rats, ah but then got distracted. In America we eat many things repulsive to other cultures. So I dont see pointing a finger at others as the ones with repulsive eating habits.
On to rats, mice, hamsters... these, animals breed at around three months of age and then have babies in as little as every 28 days. So if you have a colony of say 3 females and one male, those 3 females could easily produce 300 babies a year. Not to mention their babies on and on. I have bred rodents it is astounding how they reproduce.
So in Hawaii you're saying other then cats they have no natural predator. Sadly you could lots of cats, but they wont help. If you are putting out poison to kill rats and cat eats the rat, cat disappears as does any animal that eats rat. I used to live in desert where snakes and cayotes were killed for sport. Soon ground squirrels took over tunneling in rock. Gardens were out of the question.
Rats are not just looking for food but cozy warm house to raise babies. Can you put the aluminum color around fruit trees to prevent climbing? Cats come with their own set of issues, their feces has lots of disgusting things. Garden beds are just big litter boxes, which likely why your neighbors don't like them. We have indoor only cats and two dogs. I do not want cats in my garden. We have the occasional skunk, racoon, possum and river rats. None of which I want to encourage or poison.
I mean no disrespect but cats, poison and looking to neighbors doesnt seem to work for you. Learn rats habits, nesting areas and address the problem that way. Have you tried the fake owl or the sound emitor?
Old 05-22-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Where ever--he ate dog and bragged about it--I have wonder about the 2 he has in the WH now---are they safe?
Bragged?

Here is the source.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ing-indonesia/
Old 05-22-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Anne why would you make a silly statement about me like that?
It's not about eating its about respecting others as you expect them to respect you. Because you don't like something that does not mean everyone in the world should change thier ways does it!
Uhhhh errr you proposed it--I didnt bring it up--and I am welcome to my opinion.

Good grief--MOF--I am not telling those people what to do---I dont care what they do---but skinning and eating dogs--mans best friend?
Come on---Changing what others do? Not likely my I will dam sure speak up against it--My right and duty as a memeber of a rescue group who is tired of the brutality.

Do as you please--why are you so offended---your the one that thinks it ok.:

Last edited by Txanne; 05-22-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Ok Ok he stated--but admitted eating dog.

I am not changing my mind.
I have sat with skinned cats--burned dogs/dogs shot in the mouth(3) and held them while they were put down when too brutalized to survive.

The is a move in the islands to prohibit eating dogs cats and horses.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Dogs ,cats and snakes are the major source of protein for the vast majority of people in the world. The French love horse meat. To each his own.

But, if I walked my pet cow down the street and tied it to a pole while shopping and it was gone when I got back, stolen and used for food by someone, I'd be just as p*ssed as if it were a dog. It's not the type of animal-- it's the fact it was stolen. Who do they think they are? They're just common thieves.

BTW- BO may or may not be an American by birth, but he certainly isn't an American by up-bringing. He was raised in Malaysia by a mother and step-father who hated the US. I don't care if he ate dog. I'm just sorry he didn't choke on it.
You are a bright spot in my darks days.
Your last paragraph---brightens my day.

Folks here enjoy rattle snake-YUK!!
Dad ate mule durning WW2--and that was a different era altogather.

But my caretakers are dogs--I like to think they rescued me.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:04 PM

Wink

Quote:
Uhhhh errr you proposed it--I didnt bring it up--and I am welcome to my opinion.

Good grief--MOF--I am not telling those people what to do---I dont care what they do---but skinning and eating dogs--mans best friend?
Come on---Changing what others do? Not likely my I will dam sure speak up against it--My right and duty as a memeber of a rescue group who is tired of the brutality.

Do as you please--why are you so offended---your the one that thinks it ok.:
Wellll. I don't seem to the one offended .
Old 05-22-2014, 11:00 PM

I don't think Obama ate dog in Hawaii.
I lived in the same neighborhood he did in 1966.
He ate it while in Kenya.
===
Interesting.... I hadn't heard that one...
But if that is what they do there, that is there business...

I have tried rattle snake, ostrich, turtle, frog legs, gator, and different bugs....... Nothing unique about the taste of any of them, I thought.... Under the right circumstances, I would try horse, elephant, and some other animals not common in North America... Once anyway...

But if something doesn't appeal to someone else, that is there choice to make.. And not up to me to question....

Take care...
Old 05-22-2014, 11:20 PM
Master Pontificator

Wellll. I don't seem to the one offended ........ Well I am Missouri..... Everyone has a right to speak their own opinion without being attack by your non stop remarks. I am shocked that people on this forum are allowed to jump post. Someone post something and there are people who will paste and knock other people remarks or call them liar, false, not truth and etc. What about the newcomers, if I have not been on the boards forever....I would run for the hills after watching these kinds of exchanges. Does not this kind of action hurt the magazine and the books they are selling ?????? This is action is not allowed on another magazine forum that I am on which has nothing to with this subject.... but honestly , it is disrespectful action toward Anne. Or am just too use to people acting respectful and honorable to others opinion and it is just too much to ask for???? One can express an opinion without being jumped by people here,.... is that impossible?

Last edited by HawaiiDi; 05-22-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:39 PM

Huh! Wait isn't this thread about rats, fleas and ants? How many posrs have been about what other cultures find edible. Im new to forum but not forums, this nitpicking does nothing to help OP. At least I tried, but ugh.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:46 PM
Master Pontificator

I don't think Obama ate dog in Hawaii.
I lived in the same neighborhood he did in 1966.
He ate it while in Kenya.

OMG! Rolling on the ground laughing. Obama went to Punahou.....they do not eat dog at Punahuo. That is where the elite peoples kids go to school. It is super high class school. I am talking about missing pets being stolen and being used as food. Doc is right they are thieves that steal often peoples most prize possessions. They do not serve dog as food to eat at the school....although when I was in school,..... I was sure some of that food was possum it tasted so bad. I love my pets often more then human beings, they have more manners then some people I know.... that is for sure. Thank you I needed a laugh like that!!!!
Old 05-22-2014, 11:57 PM
Master Pontificator

Yes I have a flea, rat problem....LOL,... sorry .... I am new here also. I had a few pets stolen from me and pray to the heavens above that they were not killed for food. I cried about that dog for about four months, he was a beautiful white German Shepherd.... my trail dog in the mountains before I went cripple. So this is just another subject of my world.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorwoman View Post
Yes I have a flea, rat problem....LOL,... sorry .... I am new here also. I had a few pets stolen from me and pray to the heavens above that they were not killed for food. I cried about that dog for about four months, he was a beautiful white German Shepherd.... my trail dog in the mountains before I went cripple. So this is just another subject of my world.
I understand. I really was freaked out by rats most of my life, part of the reason I raised was to get over fear. I hate ants, dont much like fleas either. Terrified of snails and slugs, living Oregon we have plenty of both, ugh.
So rats since decon can also kill cats and dogs, that may be a reason animals are disappearing. If rat eats decon crawls off cat or dog eat rat, they have now ingested decon. I've seen metal collars work well on trees.
Ants simple green and pinesol will deter them but you have to be persistant.
Fleas are hard because the majority live in carpets. We put diatomaceous earth around house, it also works for ants. Here is the scary part about fleas: tapeworm larvae eat fleas, anjmal eats fleas, then they get tapeworm. In a bad flea season a cat or dog can get tapeworm every two or three weeks.
I read in your bio you are an organic gardener. In oregon one can use no chemical herbicide, pestcide or chemical fertlizer and be organic. As of Tuesday in our county no gmo's. Believe me I would love to kill snails and slugs, we have banana slugs, huge and gross. Good luck with pests they are no fun.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:42 AM
Master Pontificator

Lets put it simple....I am organic, small area homestead only, not a farmer...mix it up flowers, tree, bushes, vegetables and fruit all in one area. I am organic 99 per cent of the time, but when things get so unbalanced such as my ant issue I had to pull out the hard core pesticides.....which can destroy my micro system in the soil....that I have spent the last ten years developing. People all around can not believe how my plants are so healthily compared to theirs....is because I am feeding the plants live bio ingredients, some non believers say it is because my land is richer then theirs....gee I wonder why?. When I give them a taste of the food...they think it is the brand....no its the same brand seed as yours.... and they go oh, its because you have a green thumb.... No it is the way the soil is....... it is organic and it is darn hard work to get the soil live and full of mother nature. I am rather proud,... because I have few botanist friends who come over often, they can not believe my land and the difference. I have family in the field of botany although they are more into botanical gardens and preservation of the plants around the world....but,... We have fun showing off each others plants that we grow. One of the best parts of being organic is Hawaii is full of people who want top health....and organic is growing bigger each year....in fact our top restaurants go organic because of the super taste of the food. We have terrible Dole/Monsanto wars here, these companies are trying to close down the farmer both the GMO and organic, and take over the farm lands and buying farm lands.... and put their chemicals into the soil....people here are deathly afraid of the new GMO plants. An its the people and farmers that are standing up against these companies.... not the government, The island Maui just won their major law suit against Monsanto. It is getting very ugly here, and I mean someone is destroying GMO farmers crops here, the rumor is it could be the major corp food people in order to get them to shut down their small farms or it could be activist????. ... on top of that.... I really feel for them as one happens to be a super good friend. someone highly organized went and cut down thousands of trees in one night!!!... I still can not believe it. Seeing all those dead trees made me cry....just how out of control things got. An of coarse everyone whispers in the night it is because of the GMOs. is it...???. For good reasons, nobody knows.... there is just to much information out there, it is hard to pick through what is true and what is false.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:46 AM

Anyone that read my book will know how scary/destructive things big rats are.

I think another poster talked about them chewing up wiring.

The Postman in my book had a Nissan pickup that was garaged in the winter and he went out one morning to make our gas run and it wouldnt start---He raised the hood and rats went every where--they had destroyed his wiring.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
I understand. I really was freaked out by rats most of my life, part of the reason I raised was to get over fear. I hate ants, dont much like fleas either. Terrified of snails and slugs, living Oregon we have plenty of both, ugh.
So rats since decon can also kill cats and dogs, that may be a reason animals are disappearing. If rat eats decon crawls off cat or dog eat rat, they have now ingested decon. I've seen metal collars work well on trees.
Ants simple green and pinesol will deter them but you have to be persistant.
Fleas are hard because the majority live in carpets. We put diatomaceous earth around house, it also works for ants. Here is the scary part about fleas: tapeworm larvae eat fleas, anjmal eats fleas, then they get tapeworm. In a bad flea season a cat or dog can get tapeworm every two or three weeks.
I read in your bio you are an organic gardener. In oregon one can use no chemical herbicide, pestcide or chemical fertlizer and be organic. As of Tuesday in our county no gmo's. Believe me I would love to kill snails and slugs, we have banana slugs, huge and gross. Good luck with pests they are no fun.
Indeed Rat/mouse killer/One Bite)) is dangerous.
Thats why LONG SMALL ENTRANCE PIPE is the only way to go.
Another thing I did was be on the look out for dead rats and I had a burn barrel.

You have to remove all water sources--at night.So once they eat the poison they HAVE to hunt water--the more they drink the faster they die---thats the nature of this poison.
Mine were in the attic of my Old House----that kept them away from my animals.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorwoman View Post
Wellll. I don't seem to the one offended ........ Well I am Missouri..... Everyone has a right to speak their own opinion without being attack by your non stop remarks. I am shocked that people on this forum are allowed to jump post. Someone post something and there are people who will paste and knock other people remarks or call them liar, false, not truth and etc. What about the newcomers, if I have not been on the boards forever....I would run for the hills after watching these kinds of exchanges. Does not this kind of action hurt the magazine and the books they are selling ?????? This is action is not allowed on another magazine forum that I am on which has nothing to with this subject.... but honestly , it is disrespectful action toward Anne. Or am just too use to people acting respectful and honorable to others opinion and it is just too much to ask for???? One can express an opinion without being jumped by people here,.... is that impossible?
There are a few of us hardliners who give MoF a hard time.
He's a bit touchy at times---he'd like to give folks what he doesnt allow me to have.

That being said--He and I go at it all the time.
I have great respect for him.
He is a Patriot that can be a bit terse and such a hard ass at times.
But his heart is in the right place and thats why I admire him.

After you've been here awhile you will want to choke him and in the same breath want to hug his neck.
he and I do agree alot about this country.
He will make you think and cause to pull your hair out!! :

Sorry if you folks were offended---carry on and lets solve this rat problem.:
Old 05-23-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Indeed Rat/mouse killer/One Bite)) is dangerous.
Thats why LONG SMALL ENTRANCE PIPE is the only way to go.
Another thing I did was be on the look out for dead rats and I had a burn barrel.

You have to remove all water sources--at night.So once they eat the poison they HAVE to hunt water--the more they drink the faster they die---thats the nature of this poison.
Mine were in the attic of my Old House----that kept them away from my animals.
I understand using the pipe, but the rats crawl out before they die. Thats when cats and dogs eat the rats. The rats in your attic likely traveled to other parts of your house. I have watched a human die from eating rat poison, awful. There are better ways to get rid of rats then rat poison.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:28 PM
Master Pontificator

Thanks for information Annie....I see you have few of them here. It is nice to know they have lovable bear side to them, that issue I can deal with. LOL I worked with a lot them in the past, some where down the line a few of them became good friends.