BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control

Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control Please...no posts about Barney, Kermit, Miss Piggie, etc.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:31 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
I understand using the pipe, but the rats crawl out before they die. Thats when cats and dogs eat the rats. The rats in your attic likely traveled to other parts of your house. I have watched a human die from eating rat poison, awful. There are better ways to get rid of rats then rat poison.
You may want to contain the animals or live with the rats.

Later, off grid had some yellow tom cats dropped off on me--they kept the rats/snakes/mice
down to bearable.

Sometimes you just have to dance with what brung ya to the dance.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:55 AM

Default Rat Recipe

Maybe those rats can serve a purpose:

Rat Recipe

Rat Jerky
Created by Yuri Hart and Robert Pugh

15 Rats
1.Take all rats and with a smoking gun, smoker or cold smoker, smoke the rats with hickory until they have a smokey flavor.
2. Season the rats with salt and pepper. Line the rats on a grate with a sheet tray underneath.
3. Set the oven to 280 degrees, place the rats in the oven and cook for three hours, or until rats are crispy on the outside.
4. Let the rats cool, and then pull the meat off of the bodies into bite size pieces.
5. Serve meat at room temperature.

Or, high fashion:

All I did was ask "I wonder if. . . . " and here it was on the interweb!

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:35 AM
Master Pontificator

Rat Recipe

Rat Jerky

15 Rats
1.Take all rats and with a smoking gun, smoker or cold smoker, smoke the rats with hickory until they have a smokey flavor.
2. Season the rats with salt and pepper. Line the rats on a grate with a sheet tray underneath.
3. Set the oven to 280 degrees, place the rats in the oven and cook for three hours, or until rats are crispy on the outside.
4. Let the rats cool, and then pull the meat off of the bodies into bite size pieces.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Oh my goodness I never had such a wonderful laugh in my life!!!!.....Oh how they are so healing!!!! This is getting printed and put in frame and hung! Rat problem resolvedThanks for laughter!!! I will put this in my bug out bag in case I need a job after a hurricane... I will make da Hawaiian street possum Jerky....

Last edited by HawaiiDi; 05-24-2014 at 04:01 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:42 AM
Master Pontificator

This dress made by artist Laura Ginn consists of 300 rat pelts, skinned by the artist herself.

I missed the dress .....oh what a riot! I was staring at it and then I thought no way! But it is the real thing.....LOL
Old 05-24-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post

Rat Recipe

Rat Jerky

15 Rats

Or, high fashion:

All I did was ask "I wonder if. . . . " and here it was on the interweb!
Randall
You do good work---I am sending this to my son who jerky is one of the basic food groups.
A yucky riot!!:
Old 05-24-2014, 03:05 PM

Speaking of differences in cultures...... In some cultures rats are a food source.... As discussing as it may seem to many, I would try it in an instant.... Why not..... Same with "flying rats" pigeons that is... Over the last 20 or so years, there has been a very aggressive program to provide nesting posts for Peregrine falcons in this county... Mostly strategically placed around farm and dairy operations... For all the flack they take for the things they do, the state DNR has done a good job of providing support for the best, most effective locations for nest poles and such....

High fashion rat skins...... That may take some time to find its day of fame....

However.... Couch rats... Are a problem everywhere... And will take a very different control methods... I'm not sure how to handle that effectively...

Good luck
Old 05-24-2014, 04:53 PM
Master Pontificator

There are a lot of food sources around the world...that are completely taboo but what if you have no food no meat source....you should know it is food. Taboo rats, bugs and guts of various kinds. I have traveled (before the crash) a great deal...one can find in an open market barbecue rat, giant water bugs that you pop off the head and drink the fluids. I think in this day and age....last resorts food supplies need to be consider because they keep many people from starving to death. I am not starving right now so perhaps I will dehydrate and put them #10 cans. I hate smilies...but you do not know me yet....so I put a smilies to let you know.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:37 PM

I understand the soldiers in Viet Nam were trained to kill and eat rats.
Snake and candied grasshoppers came into being.

And history past says you will eat a human if your starving to death.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
I just have to say it---you know who in the White House is from your paradise and ate dog as a youngun.
As an animal rescuer,I am stunned by this practice and wonder what animal groups are doing about it?

On the mainland we are fighting those that use dogs to fight and kill other dogs for money.(It is illegal)
Seems the problem of animal-abuse knows no borders huh?
So we can call him Dog-Breath and not be far off, yes

My gripe here is these people (Koreans?) steal other people's pets to eat. If eating dogs and cats is their culture, why don't they raise their own? If I stole someone else's chickens or cattle, there would be legal consequences. Shouldn't the same laws apply here, culture or not?
Old 05-24-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyyarn View Post
So we can call him Dog-Breath and not be far off, yes

My gripe here is these people (Koreans?) steal other people's pets to eat. If eating dogs and cats is their culture, why don't they raise their own? If I stole someone else's chickens or cattle, there would be legal consequences. Shouldn't the same laws apply here, culture or not?
Maybe in a polite society.
Stealing cattle or horses is still a hanging offense here in Texas.

The closed down a veitnamese restaurant in Dickinson Tx a number of years back--they were caught serving dogs as a meat dish-----Thank God I never ate there.

i know its different in those countries--its just something that breaks my heart--Mans best friend in a hamburger--lord have mercy.

And yes,dog breathe works for me---:
Old 05-24-2014, 10:45 PM
Master Pontificator

I never point out other peoples countries....but their are tons of countries out there from all over the world whom are starving to death,... I could list at least hundred,... it is just not Korea.....in many countries they eat anything and everything that moves, crawls and what ever. If you travel to third world countries you will see this and things hundred times worst then this. When I was in Egypt...some stupid tourist threw coins at the children off the ship (about 30 children)....those kids tried to kill each other ....like wolves fighting over meat trying to get those stupid coins. Bloody kids everywhere...in a world where only the strong survive. 50 years ago or more if you caught the neighbors cattle dog and ate him, you would be shot on site. Today we are in court....fighting about peoples rights and nothing gets done nor resolved. With people pouring into this nation from people all over the world...our pets can be others food......becomes a political nightmare. But then again..... I just pray I never will have to be in those people shoes.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorwoman View Post
I never point out other peoples countries....but their are tons of countries out there from all over the world whom are starving to death,... I could list at least hundred,... it is just not Korea.....in many countries they eat anything and everything that moves, crawls and what ever. If you travel to third world countries you will see this and things hundred times worst then this. When I was in Egypt...some stupid tourist threw coins at the children off the ship (about 30 children)....those kids tried to kill each other ....like wolves fighting over meat trying to get those stupid coins. Bloody kids everywhere...in a world where only the strong survive. 50 years ago or more if you caught the neighbors cattle dog and ate him, you would be shot on site. Today we are in court....fighting about peoples rights and nothing gets done nor resolved. With people pouring into this nation from people all over the world...our pets can be others food......becomes a political nightmare. But then again..... I just pray I never will have to be in those people shoes.
Over-population is one of the problems.
We have been pouring food aid into many of these countries--of course we know it goes on the blackmarket by they're little dictators.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:20 PM

The way I see it, it's kinda like when a yard is invaded with moles. Moles ain't the problem. The problem is the grubs that attract the moles. Get rid of the grubs, and the moles go away.
Your problem ain't the rats. It's the sorry folks around you that attract the rats. Unfortunatley, I have little advice on how to get rid of sorry folks.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Master Pontificator

The problem is the massive trash in the neighbor land and they live and breed in the coconut trees in his yard, I am not into war at this moment with those lazy, lazy people. Plus rats love oranges and red grapefruit and mangos... its my fruit trees that attracts them over into my property....killing my fruit trees is not option. Large rats sit on top of the fruit and eat it... of coarse the rats are to heavy for the fruit and you can hear them crashing through the trees, fruit and rat at night time. Rats are willing to walk through eight cats to get to the trees. This is why,... I believe the problem is out control? Perhaps it is not. I just posted here to ponder on all my options. I have tried to band the trees with metal .... but these darn rats are figuring out how to get into the trees by jumping from one tree to the next. They jump the Neighbors trees into mine....he will not let me cut his wild growing trees, he loves the jungle look and feel....not joking. It may be as simple as few as kamikaze rats who are willing to for go threw the cats...who knows.... I do have a major cat hunter, she is into birds right now, who are also a major problem eating the fruit trees...which I can understand her choice of kill,... darn rats are as big as she is!!! At this point I am starting think that my only option is set out poison in large PVC pipes like I did before..... Could get a rat terrier ....but it be a year or so before he was old enough to hunt...
Old 04-04-2015, 12:40 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
Terrified of snails and slugs, living Oregon we have plenty of both, ugh.

I read in your bio you are an organic gardener. In oregon one can use no chemical herbicide, pestcide or chemical fertlizer and be organic. As of Tuesday in our county no gmo's. Believe me I would love to kill snails and slugs, we have banana slugs, huge and gross. Good luck with pests they are no fun.
A little liquid soap (better than dissolved salt) in one liter of warm water in a two liter coke bottle or better yet a larger mouth plastic disposable bottle. Then take a flash light to locate the slugs after dark, and with a pair of large tweezers pick up any slugs found and drop them into the soapy water. The slugs are dead quick as they hit the water. A couple of paper towels to wipe the tweezers off ever once in a while may be required. When the bottle is largely filled cap and discard in trash.

We live on "slug hill" and ever spring I slug hunt most nights for a couple of months. It is nothing uncommon to fill a two liter bottle with slugs after a light shower, in one night, well a couple of hours, not the whole night.

But be forewarned, for ever slug you eliminate, a dozen takes its place. At least that seems to be what happens here.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:41 AM

I don't know if this will help, but, when I inspected my cold-smoker this spring I noticed that the local wildlife had been giving it a wide berth all winter. I had been using hickory chips to smoke my bacon with, and the scent was still lingering, even I could smell it. Maybe smudging would keep the critters away?
Old 04-07-2015, 01:52 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellendra View Post
I don't know if this will help, but, when I inspected my cold-smoker this spring I noticed that the local wildlife had been giving it a wide berth all winter. I had been using hickory chips to smoke my bacon with, and the scent was still lingering, even I could smell it. Maybe smudging would keep the critters away?
That bacon smell might have the opposite effect with bears.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Why should we look down on other cultures and thier ways ?
Maybe if we didn't we wouldn't be disliked so much.
Respect is a two way street folks.
Well said.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post

But if something doesn't appeal to someone else, that is there choice to make.. And not up to me to question....

Take care...
This is a good post.