BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Auto/Truck/Other Transportation

Auto/Truck/Other Transportation If you use it to get from here to there, this is the place to talk about it and how to fix it.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:48 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Odometer Fuaud 2014...

Local news did a thing about odometer fraud being as rampant today as it ever has been since the invention of the auto...

They are saying with the economy the way it is now, it seems this fraud is more common than ever.... Just that now it is easier to do..... Either with a few key strokes from a box connected to the on board computer.... Or changing out a modular dash board assembly from a junk yard....

The price you pay for Car Fax or any other info can be extremely inaccurate.... Incomplete info, or mistaken info....

That is just one thing.... The young adult cousin of the young guy who does tree and other heavy work for me.... She had a transmission problem with her Buick suv of some kind.... Turns out it most likely was a flood car from who knows where....

Also there was a report about an x convict that has a state car dealers license.... And was using a roll on recovery truck to steal cars along the highways... He was said to have stollen as many as 140 some cars that way... Part of the problem is, the rules of proof of ownership for an individual selling a car to a scrap metal dealer are much more stringent for an individual than when a licensed dealer sells to a scrap facility...

It was also mentioned that scrap dealers were make a huge profit off some car scrap.... One notable thing being catalytic converters... And I'm sure other things also...

Other than buying new.... I have no idea how to keep from getting "lemon"....... But who can afford that ???

Actually.... I suppose you could buy a current year model that was a rental return, recycled into a "new" car....

Info, insights, comments ??
Keep safe....
Old 05-28-2014, 10:00 AM

Buying a used car/truck is always a gamble in my opinion. Unless the vehicle is coming off a lease, I just wonder why it is on the lot being sold.

If one can prove it is coming off a lease that takes care of the "why", but I have this feeling that many people with the 3 year lease deals just run them and don't do any maintenance. There are no clauses in leases that you even have to change the oil. These new cars will run great for 3 years without even changing the oil.

When I was still working, I bought what I called my retirement truck when I was 51 years old. I went overboard, but I knew I wouldn't be able to afford what I wanted when I retired at 62 and didn't want to mess with used vehicles. I would have been able to pay it off before I retired (along with my homestead) and have a good vehicle that I knew since I bought it new. Of course that plan went down the tubes 2 years ago.......

I just cringe when thinking of ever having to buy a used vehicle or even deal with a car salesman again. I was at the local Ford dealership getting my truck serviced (can't do it myself anymore), and while waiting a few of the salesmen can through the waiting area. Each one gave me the impression of being a sheister even without saying a word.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:38 PM

Default Car fax

It's been a while since I used Car Fax but I'm pretty sure that it will alert you to ODO mismatches. If there is a service record at 50,000 but now the odo shows 40,000 then you know there's a problem.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.