BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food > Beverage Making

Beverage Making Beer, wine, mead, soda, cider, spirits, cordials, etc.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:52 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie189 View Post
The local brew store told me that the 2014 crop of Citra hops has been completely consumed. I purchased what may be their last ounce.

I used 2 oz of Citra along with a few other strains for my last batch, so I just had to adjust the formulation a bit for this second batch.

I'm starting to look for some good logs on the property that I can set aside for putting in the ground to make some massive trellises. I was worried I would be too far North to grow hops, but there are a few other people that are doing it.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:18 PM

Well, looks like Mr. Brew it is.

Thanks for helping me figure out how to help hubby get started.

I can get 20% off the kit from Bed Bath & Beyond (coupon).
Old 04-16-2015, 11:51 PM

Bed Bath and Beyond is always good for Mr Beer coupons. To me it's a great way to start without getting too big or spending too much money. The beer is ok, and can be even better with some DME instead of sugar, though you will have to get that somewhere else.

If your hubby uses the computer here is a forum where I went when I started and got lots of info.

http://www.mrbeerfans.com/ubbthreads/
Old 04-17-2015, 01:13 AM

Thanks!

This should be interesting.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:36 AM

And if the beer doesn't work, Mr Beer sells root beer kits that use the same fermenter.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:48 AM

I'm on the 5th batch for the all-grain brewing thing. Turning out some really good beer.

Now the trick is to find the time to keep the brewing schedule to keep up with the consumption level.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:38 PM

Ahh the age old problem of consumption out pacing production. It always seems to be that way with beer, bacon, and chocolate chip cookies.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Ahh the age old problem of consumption out pacing production. It always seems to be that way with beer, bacon, and chocolate chip cookies.
Heh, I hear you there. Those are three things that never last long around our house too.

Funny, I thought I would have more brew time since I haven't been "officially working" that much. But I've been heading up to the property quite a bit, getting the garden ready, training the dog ....
Old 09-05-2015, 03:45 AM

Been awhile since I posted on this thread, but the beer education is coming along pretty well.

Just posted in the conversation thread that I'm getting married on the 26th. Funny thing is, we have a lot of beer drinkers in the Family.

So I will be brewing three 5 gal batches for the shindig.

Batch One: An American Pale Ale, IBU around 50 - using cascade and citra hops. Dry hopped with Citra. I've been working on this formulation since spring. Very happy with it. Originally modeled after the Alaskan Freeride APA.

Batch Two: A Kolsch styled beer. I remembered drinking beer in Cologne, and want to try to put up a good copy of those beers. My future wife also drank quite a bit of beer in Cologne - she was deployed in Germany for awhile, and took full advantage of the beer available there. Maybe even more than I did.

Batch Three: Thinking an Oktoberfest style, have to decide on this one quick.

oh, and p.s.: My future BIL may be getting a job at a local brewery here - Summit. It's all part of the grand plan to open up a small brewery Up Nord. One must have dreams!
Old 09-17-2015, 03:37 AM

15 gallons in carboys or bottles. In a couple of weeks, I expect all will be happily consumed during the wedding reception!
Old 09-17-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Just posted in the conversation thread that I'm getting married on the 26th. Funny thing is, we have a lot of beer drinkers in the Family.

So I will be brewing three 5 gal batches for the shindig.
Kachad, how long do you normally let your beer sit before consuming?

I do the 2 week ferment, 2 week in the bottle to carbonate, and 2 week cold condition. So it can be consumed at 6 weeks, but in my case I usually like to let it condition longer so it's not so green.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Kachad, how long do you normally let your beer sit before consuming?

I do the 2 week ferment, 2 week in the bottle to carbonate, and 2 week cold condition. So it can be consumed at 6 weeks, but in my case I usually like to let it condition longer so it's not so green.
This batch is 1 week in the primary fermenter, 4 days in the secondary with dry hopping, then a bit over a week then cold. I'm pushing the schedule on this one, but they are all on the lighter side.

If it's a heavier brew, yeah - definitely closer to your schedule or longer in the case of an Imperial or Stout.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:15 PM

In the winter the crawl space under my house is usually between 45 and 50 degrees. The space is about 5' tall so it's not too hard to move around down there. One winter I fermented a lager down there for 3 weeks. A couple months later I did the same lager only using the yeast that came with it instead of true lager yeast. I also fermented it for 2 weeks at room temp the way I usually do.A few months later I tried them side by side and truthfully I couldn't tell enough difference to bother doing that again.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:56 AM

Quote:
In the winter the crawl space under my house is usually between 45 and 50 degrees. The space is about 5' tall so it's not too hard to move around down there. One winter I fermented a lager down there for 3 weeks. A couple months later I did the same lager only using the yeast that came with it instead of true lager yeast. I also fermented it for 2 weeks at room temp the way I usually do.A few months later I tried them side by side and truthfully I couldn't tell enough difference to bother doing that again.
Interesting. Did you see any difference in the clarity between the two brews?

Along those same lines, I read that you were rigging up a freezer with temp controls to brew up lagers. How is that going?

I want to go down that same path someday, but only have so much space in the basement.

The basement is one of my primary hobby spaces - so it's pretty full. Another couple of years, worried that it will look just like a maze.

If the basement gets to that point, then I will have pay the Piper - and we know how that goes.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:41 AM

Can't say I paid much attention to clarity. I'm not a big time brew master that is looking for the perfect beer. I'm more of a hey that was something fun to do, and it tasted good too.

I do have a chest freezer set up with a Johnson control unit. I haven't used it for fermenting as of yet, so far it's just been used to hold a deer for a couple days during early hunting season when it was too warm to hang.

I don't think there is ever enough space for hobbies.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I don't think there is ever enough space for hobbies.
I hear you there, or time.