BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Tractors

Tractors Big ones, small ones, old ones, new ones, buying, using, fixing...you get the idea.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:37 PM

Default Old tractor restoration "must have"

Of necessity (1960 Case 430) I started buying books on old tractors and came across a series of books by Roger Welsch. "Rusty knuckles and busted tractors" is one. It provides humor, philosophy and practical mechanical hints in one book. I'm on my second read of "Rusty knuckles" and have ordered six more of the same genre. I found them at very reasonable prices on Amazon.

Last edited by yardburd; 06-22-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Kool.......

Be SURE to post before and after pictures in the "Tractor Picture" thread...

And maybe a few dozen as you go along with your rebuild...

Good luck...
Old 06-22-2014, 12:19 AM

It's always been a dream of sorts for me to refurbish an old tractor. I have the room in my barn to do it, and can find some eligible units around here - just don't have the money to buy the parts.

I did a small diesel lawn tractor (Deere 332) some years ago and really enjoyed it.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:45 PM
Master Pontificator

Looks like a first rate professional job on the JD 332.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:45 AM

I'll have to get my hands on that book.

We bought an IH B414 about 3 years back, mostly to run a bush hog to keep the pastures down, which keeps the ticks down. B414 is a little bit larger and more powerful than a Ford N with a couple of extra features (independent PTO clutch, locking differential, hydraulic tap to run implements)

We live in the city. When I brought it home (rented a u-haul car hauler) the neighbors must have thought I was nuts. Then the tractor disappeared into the garage and I went over the basics - oil change, hydraulic fluid change, new belts, plugs, wires, ignition. Flushed the cooling system, replaced the thermostat, rewired it, new battery. Replaced brake parts, replaced rotted rims, greased everything, did some painting. All the gauges were broken too.

But I couldn't really drive it around much.

We took it down to our place and I ran it for awhile. Starter went so I had to replace that. Clutch went last summer and I had to split her. That was a fun job.

About the only thing left is it has a locking rear differential. It's actuated by a pedal with a wedge that engages a pin on the side of the rear gear case. Last time I tried to engage it, the pedal snapped right off. Got a new pedal, but that pin is stuck. Unfortunately, if I want to fix it, the whole hydraulic unit (very heavy) has to come off, and I may have to pull the axle housings. At this point, I'm probably not going to worry about it anytime soon, although it would be nice to have working.

I'm moving down to the property in a few weeks and am going to give her a real workout. I'm hoping to eventually get a plow for the 4x4 truck, but in the meantime, I'll need to push snow with the tractor. But once the tractor can be down for winter, I'll probably try to fix that locking pin, and I may pull the engine apart and go over everything. I'll also be able to spray auto paint down there, so I may pretty her up a bit over time. Never going to be a showpiece, but I like to keep my equipment in good shape and I think you tend to take better care of your equipment when it looks good - even if you're the one taking care of it. At least that's how I am...

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.